Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PLEASE HELP!!! VIRUS!

hi everyone, i found out today that i have a virus on my computer, this after days of suspisions when my month old computer runs at a quarter of the speed it did only a few days ago...my father said he opened up an email that seemed like it contained a virus in it, a few days ago... so there it is... the virus won't let me run Norton Antivirus, the window automaticaly dissapears after about 5 seconds when i try to turn Norton on. Im just wondering if anyone know if i can still save my harddrive, without formating it, as it contains some mixes that i didn't make backups for (stupid me). please help a fellow musician. thanx to everyone who might help. :( :cry: :confused: :evil: :mad:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude - that's not good! To save your files, you'll need some high-density removeable media that you can copy the audio data to, and then you are probably looking at reinstalling. :( Your audio may or may not be infected - probably not, but you won't be sure unless you can open them again without a crash, or maybe you can run virus scans on the discs after you reinstall. Do you still have the email this came from? If so, you can send it to me & I'll try to see if there's another way to clean it. I don't fear viruses - I use Linux. :D

Back up as much as you can, as soon as possible. Then stick the hard drive in another machine that has the most recent version of the anti-virus updates. So far, Norton 7.61 is the best of the Symantec offerings... Good luck. When you get a chance, configure your machine to check for updates daily. You probably didn't update your anti virus definitions for at least 6-8 weeks (maybe more like 3 months!). On a well tended machine, your risk(s) for infection are quite low. Be more concientious in the future. Data loss is quite the bitch. If you are running Windows "ME" or "XP", you can use the "system restore" feature.... Also, send an email to the original sender of that email so they are aware that they too have this virus... NYC Drew

I guess you forgot to make the floppy Rescue Disk when you installed Norton Anti-virus. This allows you to run Norton from DOS and removes and/or isolates the virus and repairs infected files. When you get it back running make those Rescue Disk. Obviously you still have internet access. Symantec can run a virus scan over the internet. Go to the section: Symantec Security Check

You need the the power of the pen! Or not, but if you take the drive out and put it in your diagnostics server... and then run... Or if your the rest of the world, and nothing else works. Call in a pro like systems restore. They take HD from fires/floods/etc... and make it all nice and happy on a new drive. The other option is to move to a raid controller or 2nd backup drive system. I have never lost a file (due to anything but my own stupidity.) Not that this helps you now, but for future reference, backup on something other than zips/tape etc... HD are cheap, buy four :) I just bought a new liquid bearing 80gig maxtor for 129 bucks! Two days later I bought a 2nd cause I liked it so much. :) later PD :rolleyes:

You don't necessarily need to rely on the mysteries of third party software. If you know the subject line or any other identifying features of the email that infected you, do a web search on the phrase(s) and pull up info on the variant with which you're dealing. These invariably have treatment procedures. I got infected a while back with some silly, scary thing, and the treatment was clear. A virus is software, like anything else, and behaves predictably once the variant is known. Treatment is clear and predictable, and self-checkups are clear and predictable. Just another option.

A virus footnote: If you do have System Restore enabled on your computer then Windows may have copied the virus into the Restore folder. After you've removed the virus from the rest of your computer, do a virus search in the Restore folder to make sure it's not lurking in there. If you used System Restore you might restore the virus along with previous settings.

Some of your speed reduction may be due to Norton! I've seen it have the speed of some computers. You can run an online virus checker called Housecall at [url=http://www.antivirus.com/free_tools/]Trend Micro[/url] It can't clean all viruses but if you look up the virus description there are specific tools for some viruses. :thu:
It's not a successful climb unless you enjoy the journey

There is a worm spreading since 4-17-02 called W32.Klez that tries to disable anti-virus programs. Without more info, like the subject heading or message text, this sounds like it could be the culprit. Symantec has created a tool to remove this worm. Download it at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixKlez.com Good luck.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

There have been several viruses in the past year that disable NAV as well as web access to the site. The best thing to do, assuming you have not already nuked the PC (i.e. reformatted) is to get to another PC, download as many of the specific 'fix'tools from symantecs web site as you can, and start running them from floppy. Symantecs web site allows you to pull these tools down for free. A public library may be a good choice, or a nearby public school, assuing the tech people there are not tards.... There is a cool little program called GoBack that is cheap, and allows you to revert to a certain interval of system, i.e. 'go back 3 day, goback 4 days, etc....

I was infected recently and my regular anit-virus was infected and disabled. Also, any program opened was infected, so watch it! Here is what to do: go to download.com and download 'F-protect' (the only antivirus I could use when I was infected and now the only one I use period). It will identify your virus and remove it unless it is a virus that must be removed from DOS. But, it will identify it and then you can post what it is to see if we can help you. Good luck.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Archived