Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AKAI S6000 + JAZ Drive

Hi friends, Does anyone knows if a 2GB JAZ internal drive works in the Akai S6000? I've installed it into my S6000 and I'm getting SCSI errors . I think that either my (new) JAZ drive is defective or the AKAI simply doesn't support a 2GB JAZ ! There is a list of supported drives on the AKAI website - and it looks like the 1GB JAZ is supported. But nothing about the 2GB JAZ. BTW I'm also using this unit with an external 2.2GB ORB drive(SCSI) - and it works great. Do you have any experience with the internal ORB drive and the S6000 ? Any insight would be greatly appreciated ! Thanx ~Josef.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I take it that you have checked the SCSI cable. I had a SCSI fault witha new SADiE system using a cable which had worked perfectly with the previous system. Although the cable was going to an external tape drive it was causing the internal hard disk to unlog! Result - mega confusion! :confused:
It's not a successful climb unless you enjoy the journey

Guys, Thank you for your response J I did go through the whole process of elimination - and I'm still getting the same SCSI errors. Today I heard from Akai and the answer is: S6000 can't do a full format of JAZ(1 or 2GB). Only the quick format. I did try to do full format of 2JAZ disks - and after few minutes the formatting stopped with usual SCSI error. And now I get the same error the moment the Akai touch any of these disks! Since I don’t have another JAZ drive in any of my computers, I'll have to find some place to have them reformatted! That really sucks! My external ORB drive, which I use for K2500 and S6000 can be fully formatted by S6000, and it works like a Swiss watch! The only reason I've got the internal JAZ for my S6000 was, that I couldn't find an internal ORB 50pinSCSI - only 68pin. I wish Akai would get their act together! JAZ is around long enough now! So, I really don't know what to do at this point L Again, thanks you for your response! ~josef

Archived