Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can someone help me set up REASON software?

I`m trying to learn REASON but when I go into the Preferences window to choose a MIDI Port and Channel, it does not allow me to choose anything. I have tried accessing their web site for TECH SUPPORT but the page loads saying the site uses Frames and I guess I don`t have frames. I also read the manual and it does not give any such scenario that I`m running into. The program is running on a G4 450 (single). Any help is greatly appreciated! Peace, Ernest

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I'm not certain exactly what you are trying to do, but my guess is that you might be trying to use Reason with a software sequencer on the same computer; is that correct? In order to do that you need a MIDI loopback program. One that works well is called Hubis Loopback. It's freeware. Just do a search for it, download, and follow the instructions. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Ernest, Have you installed OMS? This is the first step. Then you should have a selection of ports/inputs in the MIDI preferences (dependent upon your interface, of course). OMS is on the installer CD, and also available here: [url=http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=3270&db=mac]OMS[/url] Give that a try and let us know how it worked. Cheers, Don

OK, This is what I have. The MOTU MTP AV is the MIDI interface. OMS is setup and nothing is popping up for me to choose in the Preference (MIDI) window. I would love to access the program via my keyboard as well as run it alongside my Digital Performer songs. Let me know if I`m doing anything wrong. Right now I will reload the program. Maybe something went array? Is there a phone number I can call for Propellerhead Tech Support? Peace, Ernest

Did you install OMS after installing FreeMIDI for DP? If so, you'll have to trash them both, install OMS first, then FreeMIDI. Are you seeing the MTP in OMS? What version of FM are you running (the latest is 1.47)? Is the MTP USB or serial? Sorry for all the questions, but they will make it easier to figure out the problem. Thanks! Don

Heres the latest... I have the latest versions of OMS and FreeMIDI. (I also fixed the frame issue so don`t worry about that.) REASON is NOW allowing me to choose a port and channel but still does no make any sounds when I press a key on the M1. I am using the MTP AV as my MIDI interface and it is showing up in OMS so it recognizes the MTP AV in he setup. I want to use REASONs sequencer apart from Digital Performer and just monitor REASON in DP through an AUX which I know how to do so at this point I just need to know WHY REASON is still not responding to the MIDI keyboard? (The Korg M1 on Channel 8 on the MTP AV) Sounds like it has something to do with FreeMIDI and OMS talking to each other. Keep talking to me, I`m sure we`ll figure it out. Ahhh, don`t you just love MIDI? Thanks, Ernest

The comment about Loopback is not relevant, that is a PC issue. Have you checked the drop-down menu in Reason in the MIDI rack for the channel you're trying to drive? The MIDI rack section should have lights that glow to indicate that Reason is receiving data. Make sure the channel that's active is actually feeding something. Reason is actually very simple to set up, I'm sure you're just one menu entry or click away from getting things to work. Also make sure the little MIDI plug shows up next to the instrument you want to drive in the sequencer. And or course, buy my Reason Quick Start book (published by Music Sales)!!

Hi Craig, Thanks for the input, I am sure you`re right about being one click away from getting this thing to work. On the other hand, when it comes to computers, I am completely brain dead so this could take me a few days. Thanks to forums like this and all the people who have replied, I know I`ll be up and working soon. (mabe tonight? or tomorrow?) I did everything you said before I got to this post and read your reply. I also went to the System Folder and trashed both the OMS and Free MIDI preferences. Should I try reinstalling REASON? Any other ideas? Thanks, Ernest Buckley

OK this is the latest as of April 23, 11pm est. REASON is now accepting the MIDI messages from the Korg M1 abd yet refuses to record anything I play into it. Very odd stuff and I`d really appreciate anyone giving me some pointers. I called Sweetwater and they were unable to help out and then I was giving a # for MIDIman, the REASON TECH SUPPORT team? I guess. Thanks, Ernest

Archived