Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's On First? What's On Second?

Hello All, I have always been interested in how the techniques and beauty of one art form can be imported into the music making process. As an example, take a listen to Abbott and Costello's "Who's On First" bit to hear some serious riffing and jamming... great timing and interplay by a couple of very talented artists. And if the idea of finding parallels between disparate artforms is a snooze, check it out anyway for a good laugh.... very cool routine. http://www.gemair.com/~dturner/whosonfirst.mp3 Best Regards, Dennis

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello Dak, You are welcome of course. It is a hoot, isn't it? I will put up a link for another cool piece in a day or two... an mpg video clip of a commercial for salmon of all things.... but it also a hoot. Have you noticed that some works of art [usually a mark of the best ones] have a timeless quality that stands up to repeated exposure... and is still funny/cool/beautiful etc. year after year. Hmmm... wish I could bottle whatever that "it" is. Dennis

Heh... one of my all time favorite works of art, period! LOL... and actually, in a roundabout way it was part of the inspiration for my band's name, What The...? We were at rehearsal one day doing our own "Who's on first?" routine with band names - like "The Who" and "Them", which somehow got around to me saying "What the...?" and the rest was history! LOL... you just can't beat the original though! Thanks for putting it out there for anyone who may not have heard it, or who hasn't heard it in awhile. --Lee

Dennis, I do a lot of nature photography in my rare extra time. One thing I've learned and applied to music is to simplify, simplify!! Many of my early photos just have too much in them and are confusing, my later, better work has a very simple subject with minimal "background". I try to incorporate some of these ideas in my soloing, and in the band sound overall (for instance, when there's not a guitar solo going on, do BOTH guitarists have to play rhythm??!? It sounds cleaner if not!). I also use my woodworking skills to build equipment racks and cases, but that's not quite the same thing! ;)

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Hello Rog and Lee Flier, You are most welcome. Keep an eye out for another post coming up with a link to a cool video clip, a television commercial that is a classic as well. Botch, Simplify..yes. I have had the educational [and frustrating] experience of totally rebuilding a mix until late in the night... adding all sorts of effects and tweaks... and the next day it would be clear that the original [simpler] version was much better. While different artforms can cross-inspire one another, I have also found that artiistic concepts can be employed with more mundane issues. I try to live my life "musically".... meaning that I have noticed how a conversation can have a strong melody and tell a good story like a song, and I make it a point to listen to what another is saying, just as I make it a point to really listen to other musicians I play with. A great conversation has elements of harmony and structure and a beginning, middle and end. And some folks I've talked to remind me of Kenny G playing "gnat notes".... or as John Wayne commented in a an old western movie about a couple of old lady gossips "just spitting out words to see where they splatter". [love that line] In my work, I am something of a professional problem solver. As a jazz soloist, I understand that instead of playing one measure each of Am7 and D7, I can play through a series of perhaps eight passing chords that will begin with Am7 and end with D7. Even if the band just chunks away on the two chords, I can infer those passing chords by playing scales or riffs that relate to each chord as it courses thru my fevered brain. This helps in my work, because I know there are almost endless ways to solve any problem... and when I get stuck, I just think of ways to "play around" to the next step in the problem. Hmmm... you probably know this, but when a jazz soloist really blows a line... plays a poorly conceived or executed "honker" note or phrase... the soloist will often repeat it two or three more times to make it sound like it was intentional. I haven't figure out how to use this technique outside of jazz... but it may prove useful some day... some day... some day. Dennis

Archived