Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

4 inch 16 track analog

Just curious - why did analog tape stop at 2 inches? Was there ever any 3 or 4 inch designs that got scrapped at the last minute? Or is the tape just to wide to work properly at 3 inches? I guess you would need heavy duty rollers and transports.... There is a company called JRF that makes a 2 inch 8 track head. So the next step would be 4 inch 16 track....Would sound real fat, no doubt....
The thoughts expressed in this post are the opinions of SF audio and MAY be used or misquoted anywhere you want, either in print,on the internet, or on the bathroom walls....

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm no expert, but I do know there were 3" machines built. The problem with anything larger than 2" is the physical weight of the blank media. You've picked up 2" reels, right? A 3" reel would be 50% heavier, and a 4" reel would weigh in at 100% more, or twice the weight of a 2"reel. It's difficult to build a machine to control reels of that weight. The cost of such a machine, well built, would be enormous as well, and the sonic value would be difficult to justify given the inherent difficulty of moving and stopping such reels. Maintanance costs would most probably be excessive as well, along with thermal considerations, etc. Let's not forget the cost of blank media would be outrageous. It just isn't practical.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

You'd need the brakes off of a GMC 2 ton truck to stop the reels when you hit "stop" while rewinding! Plus, you'd need a 350ci V8 to get the capstan up to speen when you hit "play"!

GY

[quote]Originally posted by Blah, blah, blah: [b]You'd need the brakes off of a GMC 2 ton truck to stop the reels when you hit "stop" while rewinding! Plus, you'd need a 350ci V8 to get the capstan up to speen when you hit "play"![/b][/quote]Well said, but I'd probably opt for the brakes from an Indy or CART racer, and the engine from a giant construction site dump truck. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by Bobro: [b]Wow- I was wondering this exact same question yesterday! I would say, great minds think alike, but my connection recently came in from war-torn lands south of the border- what's your excuse? :D -Bobro[/b][/quote]Well, I was just smoking a joint and started thinking about tape width per track and how we need to increase it to the point where all the little magnetic particles align perfectly on the tape to produce the perfect recording and..... :rolleyes: NO, it just came to mind.....
The thoughts expressed in this post are the opinions of SF audio and MAY be used or misquoted anywhere you want, either in print,on the internet, or on the bathroom walls....

[quote]Originally posted by SF audio: [b][QUOTE]Well, I was just smoking a joint and started thinking about tape width per track and how we need to increase it to the point where all the little magnetic particles align perfectly on the tape to produce the perfect recording and..... :rolleyes: NO, it just came to mind.....[/b][/quote]Hehe, I was also thinking about how they could mill old manhole-covers for a new kind of recording medium. Seriously speaking, I just turned down a Studer/Revox 1/4" 4-track from the studio up the street. Great condition, cool seller, okay price, but didn't call my name. That's actually what had me thinking about tape widths. The manhole-covers on the other hand... -Bobro

Archived