Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Realistic 33-1090A pressure zone microphone

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dad... (now that sounds strange.. I don't even know you! ;) ) The RS-brand, Crown PZM is no longer available. Ebay is the place to look, as well as pawn shops, classified ads, etc. Do not be fooled by boundary mics under other brand names. Crown is still the only manufacturer of pressure-zone-microphones. They're not the same as other manufacturers boundary mics. Not that those mics are inherently bad, just that they cannot provide the phase coherence advantages afforded by true PZM mics. (I say all of this only because in the past I've seen well meaning posters indicate RS still markets PZM's. They don't. Only boundary mics.)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by dad1001: [b]My Children Thanks! :) I love these mics! Too bad they don't make em any more...best thing RS ever carried! -dad[/b][/quote]Technically, they are still made. Crown Microphones, owner of the PZM patents and manufacturer of ALL PZM mics still produces many models. The Crown brand mic that was roughly equivalent to the RS version has a rounded plate, and a higher voltage power supply. A prof. at Columbia college used to mod the RS version up to 9v, from the 1.5v setup as manufactured. The problem is the jump in cost, so find those used RS PZM's!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b] [quote]Originally posted by dad1001: [b]My Children Thanks! :) I love these mics! Too bad they don't make em any more...best thing RS ever carried! -dad[/b][/quote]Technically, they are still made. Crown Microphones, owner of the PZM patents and manufacturer of ALL PZM mics still produces many models. The Crown brand mic that was roughly equivalent to the RS version has a rounded plate, and a higher voltage power supply. A prof. at Columbia college used to mod the RS version up to 9v, from the 1.5v setup as manufactured. The problem is the jump in cost, so find those used RS PZM's![/b][/quote]I hadn't used my old Realistic PZM since the days of the 4-track cassette but I vaguely remembered doing a power mod to it. So, I just ran down to root through huge piles of old stuff until I finally found it. It's got two 9V batteries wired in series. Running it at 18V really helped with the noise floor but it still didn't sound like a Neumann. :) I'm almost positive this was one of Craig's mods from a magazine or something...anybody remember? Also, how do you guys set this mic up? I'd always mounted it to the wall and sang or pointed at it. I was never as thrilled with the recorded sound as some other people seemed to be...kinda "thin." Might it just be that the wall is too massive and I need to mount it differently? Or is it more like you can't polish a turd? I dunno, I'm intrigued that I just found a "free" mic and I kinda wanna see how it sounds on my current setup. Ideas?
None more black.

Archived