Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Convereting my garage into a 2-room studio. Any advice is welcomed

I am going to be turning my garage into a two room studio. One room for the control room, and the other room will be for performers....and also a vocal booth. I am hopeing that you all will be able to give me ideas how I should go about building the studio. Here is the size of the garage : Width 18 Feet 5 Inches Length 17 Feet 6 Inches Cealing 10 Feet 3 Inch I am going to sheet rock the cealing,width, and I have to bolt 2x4's along the length to make two walls that I will also sheet rock. I am going to texture all the wall's/cealing. I am also going to have a window in the middle wall that will divide the two rooms. I will have a few cealing lights that can be dimmed in each room, and I will carpet the ground all nice. I would also like to have air conditioning installed...at least in the control room. And a camera or two would be nice since I will be working with people and maybe be renting out both rooms. Here are some questions I have: :confused: What special materials do I need? How big should the two rooms be? How many outlets should I have? How should I sound Proof the rooms? How can I eliminate reverb in the performance room? What kind of glass should I use? How would I have the cables from my console in the control room go to the microphones/instruments in the performance room? Im sure there are many more questions I should ask, but this is all I can think of for now. So if anyone has anything to add, please do so. Thanks for looking and take care! rj

"Without music, life would be a journey through a desert"

I'm just a low frequency 2nd harmonic kind of guy :P

"He's not afraid of your judgements he knows of horrors worse than your hell, he's a little bit afraid of dying but he's alot more afraid of your lying"

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rjx, I have a hunch that Phil is gonna come to your aid on this one. I have a few thought provoking questions... 1. Why exactly are you building a studio? For pleasure? To make money? To complement your musicanship? Why? 2. If all of these concepts (space, insulation, power, ventilation etc) are foriegn to you, [i]as it applies to studio design[/i], how far will "free" advice take you? Define what you want to do with the space, also give us an idea of how much time and money you're going to dump in the project, and let's get the ball rolling. :) Right now, I'm vacillating between... "hire a consultant to design and source out the work" to "don't bother, you're doing fine the way things are"... so, more info. NYC Drew

NYC Drew- I was given the link to this site. There seems to be a lot of great info on there. http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html quote:1. Why exactly are you building a studio? For pleasure? To make money? To complement your musicanship? Why? *All of the above. I would like to work with local musicians to make some extra money, but mostly to get experience working with bands and other performers. Also for my own music. quote:2. If all of these concepts (space, insulation, power, ventilation etc) are foriegn to you, as it applies to studio design, how far will "free" advice take you? *Im hopeing to be able to be led in the right direction and to aquire the knowlede it will take for me to make this happen. Regardless if its me or a contactor...as long as I know what is needed. quote:Define what you want to do with the space, also give us an idea of how much time and money you're going to dump in the project, and let's get the ball rolling. *I want to make the best with the space I have. I would like to have a control room, a studio/performance room, and a vocal booth. The vocal booth may have to be in the the studio/performance room though. Only work a 40hr a week job, so all my time away from work can be used to make this happen. I can spend $1800-$2000 per month on the prodject, and I may get a 2nd part time job to help fund for everything. :) I hope these answers help. Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it. Coaster- LOL. The driveway is fine, or in front of the house. I live in a nice little city with hardly any crime in California(Bay Area)

"He's not afraid of your judgements he knows of horrors worse than your hell, he's a little bit afraid of dying but he's alot more afraid of your lying"

Quote:Still in the "just curious" phase, have you already invested in a lot of gear? I have a decent home studio set-up now.And I have a good size list of gear to purchase once the studio's built.....higher quality equipment. Thanks for the reply. rj

[quote]Originally posted by rjx: [b]I am going to be turning my garage into a two room studio. One room for the control room, and the other room will be for performers....and also a vocal booth.[/b][/quote]RJ, you might also considering taking a look at http://www.acoustics101.com The guys at Auralex Acoustics appear to be pretty good and from their web site it seems are willing to work with you to help design your space. I haven't actually worked with them but I like their approach. Lee

[b]Lee[/b] Thank you for the great link! I appreciate it. rj

[quote]Originally posted by rjx: [b][b]Lee[/b]I appreciate it. [/b][/quote]Hey glad I could help. Just passing on a favor that was passed on to me. :) Like I said I haven't worked with them yet but I have read the document (which is also in PDF but you have to look for it) over a few times and use it as a reference. I like their approach and they appear to be very willing to help. Let me know how it works out. Lee

I finished a new control room a couple months ago. Here are a few things I did to help with everything. Concrete floor bad. Build it up with 2x6's and insulate the whole floor. then use felt, liquid nails, and 3/4 ply to cover it. Make a sandwitch with the felt. You can also use closed cell foam (like they put under hardwood floors) This "floats" the floor and cuts a heck of alot of rumble out of the room. You can apply the same thing to the walls, but insulate insulate insulate. A cheap alternative to a whole lotta sonex is to use duct board on the walls. Same stuff the HVAC guys use. Comes in 4x8 sheets and goes up in a jiffy. Use Typar (ground covering, pervents weeds stuff) to cover it and keep it from detereiorating and then cover with your favorite color acoustic transparent cloth. Make sure your divider wall goes all the way up to the ceiling of the garage. If you stop at your new ceiling, the sound will go up and over and screw you up. Also, Use 2 pieces of glass. One slightly thicker than than other and the area around the frame cram as much duct board and insul as possible to cut down on vibrations through the glass. Key is, whatever you do, do it everywhere. Where ever you skimp you will be sorry. I left one panel uninsulated to make adding cables easier. Boy was I sorry. Like having a megahorn in the wall. Hope this helps. Also check out Rockwool. Great insulator. PD :rolleyes:

I'm installing a basement ceiling with these things this week! It seems to be a good start, and they have live phone support! :) http://www.soundproofing.org/Clipsplash.jpg Good luck!
Woof!

Thank you Dogfur Does anyone have any comments if I was just to have one bigger room, instead of a control room and a live/iso room? Would this work, or would it be a bad idea? I have drawn out some cool configurations of a 2-room plan, but I was wondering what cons if any there are for having just one room. Thank you!

Archived