Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wagging the dog

Media manipulation has been going on as long as there has been media to manipulate. Just ask Rob and Fab. So I pose the absurd question, "Do pop artists really die or do they just retire?" Some people swear that Notorious BIG, Tupac, Elvis & Kurt Cobain are hanging out on some Caribbean island sipping drinks mixed by Buddy Holly, getting shiatsu massages and pedicures the whole while. Death hasn't hurt their record sales either... I think Tupac is like on his 7th post-humus release. If it isn't obvious I'm being sarcastic, but to what extent can the "powers that be" wag the dog to their advantage? If it weren't for one sound guy's screwup, Rob & Fab might still be winning gramys. Has anyone heard of other examples of this? Maybe it is better to burn out than to fade away.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not going to mention any names,but there comes to mind a well known vocal group associated with a certain syndicated TV show. The powers that be were anxious to replace one of the singers and the whole staff was talking about how much better it would be without him. Shortly after the coup d'etat was accomplished,the singer died suddenly at his home. Within two weeks the show was running ads for a compilation album of the "original lineup". There were lots of close-ups of the singer who was "gone but not forgotten" and was being honored by this album. It was pointed out that this would be the public's only opportunity to have recordings featuring the dearly departed member of this beloved group. :evil: later, Mike

[quote]Originally posted by wager47: [b]didn't monster magnet turn into nickelback?[/b][/quote]Aren't Nickelback, Default, the Calling, and Lifehouse, (and every other "rock" band on the top forty today), all the same group?
None more black.

The music critic at my local (but fairly large) newspaper retired at 33 yesterday, and in the same article went back to work. He figured that, after it worked for so many (most recently Celine Dion), it was the best move he could make for his career :idea: Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived