Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tube is Smoooth, but

Day-1 I recently purchased the new all tube soundcard from Audio-Man. Installation went smoothly ,although the tubes do take up the space of 4 PCI slots. When I rebooted the computer everything went well, card recognized, drivers installed automatically. What a sound, the amp simulator in my sequencer never sounded so good, little bit of an odd smell coming from the computer though. Day 2-bought and installed two more case fans. I wonder if anybody makes a soundcard fan? Day 3-Accidentaly left PC on overnight, for some reason one side looks shorter than the other now. Day 4-Entire PC burst into flames and damaged back part of house. Hmmmm Maybe tubes aren't such a good idea.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's one thing I like about my Moskvatronik hydraulic audio computer- it stays cool 24/7! Cost more to brace the floor and foundation than it did for the whole computer, though. The system actually has negative latency, as sound travels more quickly through water than through air, but with a players who lag a bit on the beat to compensate, you can get a PUMPIN' sound! I use the Moskvatronik for tracking and editing but mix down to wax cylinder through my vintage mixer, a Cuisinart. -CB

Speaking of computers, My local telco is offering a service for high speed internet. If you want 128k bandwidth it is 39.99/month. The telco rep. told me 'the more bandwidth I purchased the cheaper it is'. So..I asked him, 'how much bandwidth do I have to get before it is free?'
In two days, it won't matter.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]Hmmmm Maybe tubes aren't such a good idea.[/b][/quote]Were you using analog tubes or digital ones? I find that the digital ones are far more precise and give no trouble at all. ;) Jerry

tube computers can be a hassle at first but, once you get em working, they're pretty sweet sounding. here is a pic of my rig as i posted in another thread: [img]http://www-personal.umich.edu/~natpoor/eniac/im/eniacroom.gif[/img] see those boxes on the right.....those are the plugins :D
0096 2251 2110 8105

[quote]Originally posted by Magpel: [b]Man, my rig has been trouble free since I started streaming audio from the floppy--but *be sure* to use the 51/4" for a much warmer sound and natural compression.[/b][/quote]No way. Sure, floppies sound great, but tape drives are the only way to go if your a pro!

Archived