Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SM 58 + Phantom Power

Hey Everyone, It been some time since I asked a question so here goes: Two questions! ;) 1. I have a trace elliot with a Low Z Balanced input (XLR and 1/4"). When I connect an SM58 to it, it doesn't work. But when I connect my AKG C1000S (which is powered, but doesn't have a battery in it) it works (through phantom power of course). Is it possible to get the SM58 to work through the Trace Elliot Acoustic Amp? The input label says that its for a Mic. Relevant Site: http://www.traceelliot.com/acoustic/ta100r.html 2. What works better - having a batter in a powered mic or using phantom power? Anyway - thanks a lot in advance for the help.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you sure that the SM58 works? Did you use the same cable? I don't know that amp, but generally any input that would work with a condenser mic should work with a dynamic mic. The reverse is true as long as there is phantom power for the mic, or the mic accepts batteries. Basically, a mic input is a mic input as far as signal is concerned. As for your second question, I'd say phantom - assuming reasonable circuit quality, you should get a more consistent power supply, and it won't (usually) go dead on you in the middle of something. :D

Archived