Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

laptop for mobile multitracking - are we there yet?

i have been considering purchasing a new laptop and interface for mobile live recording purposes, but have put it off several times waiting on better technology. with giga-hertz processors available in laptops now, better audio chips and the availability of firewire front-ends, are we finally at a place where this kind of setup makes sense? for those of you who have already tried this kind of thing, what are the essential ingredients of a laptop setup in terms of front-ends, tracking software, etc? is a separate audio pc card still a necessity? thanks. jnorman sunridge studios salem, oregon

jnorman

sunridge studios

salem, oregon

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check out the Roger Nichols forum. He uses a Ti G4 extensively and has recounted many of his adventures and experiences. Some of the other contributers have done in depth test of various drives and audio interfaces that can be used with a laptop.

I'm interested to hear from anyone with a high powered Pentium 3 or 4 based laptop with a firewire audio interface. This seems to be the future of multitrack recording in computers. Especially laptops, given the single cable connection for duplex audio, midi, etc. Anyone used the 1st generation of firewire audio interfaces? Any ideas as to when more versatile firewire audio interfaces are expected to hit the market? Also interested in the Mac side of the issue. ------------------ Neil [b]Reality[/b]: [i]A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.[/i]

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Processor heat build up is still a problem.On the Amd side there's "Power now" which lets you downshift the mhz according to what you need and I think Intel has something along those lines as well but I'm not sure about Motorola(Mac).
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

thanks craig - i would need between 2 and 5 tracks simultaneously. i prefer a windows machine to a mac. i already have a full complement of mics and pres, a mackie mixer, outboard compressor, and a stand alone CD burner. i am currently using a roland VS machine. is firewire the way to go, or what about the new USB-2 buss - i hear it is faster than firewire.

jnorman

sunridge studios

salem, oregon

<> For some reason, USB-2 has not taken off. You're best off with FireWire for now as manufacturers seem to be embracing it. A MOTU 828 FireWire interface should do the job for you just fine. Although many people associate MOTU with software, they've been making extremely capable Mac and Windows interfaces for years.

This is probably overkill for [b]jnorman[/b], but Digidesign is now supporting [url=http://www.digidesign.com/news/hotnews/magma/index.cfm]mix systems with Magma Expansion Chassis and Titanium PowerBook G4s[/url] . In fact, on page 83 of the current Keyboard magazine, Digidesign is advertising [url=http://www.digidesign.com/products/products.cfm?category=hw&product_id=1480]mix cubed systems[/url] with 4-Slot Magma Expansion Chassis and Titanium PowerBook G4s. [i]"It's getting better all the time..."[/i]

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Hi JNorman, Good to see fellow Oregonians here! Echo is now offering PCMCIA solutions for their Layla 24 and Mona that I'd highly recommend looking into. Also, RME has their Hammerfall DSP/Multiface package that might also suite your needs well. The Echo 24 products have slightly better converters than the ones used in the Multiface box and will also cost less as well. The great think with both products is that you can use the interface with both a laptop and your desktop PC and either way you really can't go wrong. I'm using the Mona on my desktop PC and am thrilled with the performance and sound quality. RME has some good articles on laptop recording that you will probably want to read as well on their tech page. Click the links below for more info. [url=http://www.echoaudio.com]www.echoaudio.com[/url] [url=http://www.rme-audio.com]www.rme-audio.com[/url] -Dylan

there's also the Digigram VXpocket PCMCIA stereo sound card. it looks like a pretty solid unit. plus, if you use a battery-powered preamp, you have a fully 120V/60Hz-free setup for 100% mobile recording. of course, you could also do the same thing with a portable DAT, MD, or HD recorder, too, for much less than a PCMCIA+laptop.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b] A MOTU 828 FireWire interface should do the job for you just fine. Although many people associate MOTU with software, they've been making extremely capable Mac and Windows interfaces for years.[/b][/quote] Craig is sooo right. That interface and a Laptop is almost a dream for portable multitrack recording. However, I am still stuck with my sweet US428 and a PC LapTop. I Love it. 4 in, 2 out and 32 Channel MIDI. And you can control Software with it ! Try it...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

[quote]Originally posted by Dylan Walters: [b]Hi JNorman, The Echo 24 products have slightly better converters than the ones used in the Multiface box and will also cost less as well. -Dylan[/b][/quote] Hi Dylan, Could you tell me please how you came to that conclusion ? Did you compare them side by side ? I'm asking this because I'm interested in the Multiface. Thanks, Andre.

[quote]Originally posted by steelandre: [b] Hi Dylan, Could you tell me please how you came to that conclusion ? Did you compare them side by side ? I'm asking this because I'm interested in the Multiface. Thanks, Andre. [/b][/quote] Hi Andre, Since the Multiface isn’t shipping yet I haven’t had a chance to try it. However, I have used the RME PST before, which I’m almost positive use the same converters as the ones in the Multiface, and although they are very usable, they aren’t quite up to par as the ones used in the Layla 24 and Mona. But still, I have no doubt that the Hammerfall DSP/Multiface combo is going to be great once it ships. Just keep in mind that RME products tend to cater to ASIO-compatible apps like Cubase and Logic, and currently there are no true WDM steaming drivers available for apps like Sonar. Plus, I like having the full rack space instead of the half-rack that the Multiface offers. Ultimately, the reason I went with the Echo Mona was not only its exceptional audio quality, but also because of its WDM drivers since I use Sonar and Win 2k/XP. It was a tossup between the MOTU 828 and Echo Mona, and ultimately I went with the Mona because I wouldn’t need a firewire card and of the extra 2 mic preamps. Plus, the VU meters on the Mona are a very nice bonus! With any 3 of these products it will be hard to go wrong. Ultimately, I’d make your decicions on the type of I/O and supplied drivers available, as they all sound great! -Dylan This message has been edited by Dylan Walters on 08-26-2001 at 08:10 PM

jnorman, your list of outboard stuff sounds almost exactly like mine. I use a Powerbook G3/400/1GB RAM, DECK 3.0, and a (borrowed, for now) 828. I'm tracking a jazz quartet, live. It's kicking ass. I don't know what PC laptop would work for you, but you're on the right track. Go for it.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

• 1 month later...
What about the use of DSP?? I'm a musician, and want to have more power for mixing/softsynth/plugs under ASIO. Are the DSPs of the Hammerfall DSP, the Echos, the Mobile I/O DSP really usable and help the main processor, or is it only with some proprietary soft/plugs/synth? I'm dreaming of a mac version of the Egosystem Wami Box. Does someone know about EMU PCMCIA Card? ------------------

[quote]Originally posted by JingleJungle: [b]Offramp- how did you manage to squeeze 1GB memory in your G3 laptop? Mine's maxed out to the limits, which means 512 meg! Could you pleeeease elucidate some more? Paul[/b][/quote] Since ram chips have been redesigned you can squeeze more ram into a machine than it was designed for. My 233mhz G-3 was designed only to have 160 megs. It currently has 256 & it could go to 360. Also this ram is cheap. I paid $99 Can for a 128 meg chip that a year & a half ago cost me $325. $99 Can is about $.03 US. Well, not that bad. $.65 US buys a Canadian dollar.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Archived