Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

G4/400Mhz for a new iMac: a good trade or what?

Hi. I have a G4/400 Mhz with Zip and 512 Ram, 15" LCD display, and not much else. I offered my dealer to trade it on an even basis, along with my old USB cd burner, for a new iMac, which is a G4/700 mhz, 512 ram, and a cd burner built in, and basically the same LCD display. He said okay. Since I dont need ANY of the expandability possibilities the G4 has, because I only use it in the office for graphics/accounting/web design purposes, is that a good trade? I'd get the following: -a better- looking computer -a faster engine -the same, if not superior, performances -a newer machine -much more space on my desk I'd lose: -a Zip drive which anyway I've used twice in one year and I could have done without even then; -expansion options such as PCI cards which I've never used in my life and never will. Opinions, anybody?
Max Ventura, Italy.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by drew: [b]Seems like a good deal for you. If you think about selling all the components separately, you're looking at like $1200 on eBay. The iMacs are like $1399? Do it. drew[/b][/quote]Actually, I just picked up a Dual 450 for $900 on eBay. If you can trade, DO IT NOW!!!!! :thu:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

My dad just bought a new top of the line iMac and he loves it. He had a G4 / 400 that he gave to my neice. Says the iMac is MUCH faster, and like you, he doesn't need the expansion slots - just firewire. May I make a suggestion? If it doesn't come with a superdrive, you may want to see if he'll do the trade as originally arranged (which I agree is a great deal for you) plus you pay the difference for the superdrive. IMO, if it costs you a bit more for that, it will be something you'll be happy you opted for later down the line. Get your G4 over to the guy THIS WEEKEND before he changes his mind. ;)

Thanks guys. In fact , I'll do the trade on tuesday. My dealer not only said yes, but he even lowered the price yesterday by 200 Euros, approx. 180 dollars. I get TWO new Imacs for my G4 and 1500 euros on top. I think it's great.
Max Ventura, Italy.

Archived