Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting fed up with software!

I've come to the conclusion that I'm getting close to burn out with all of the software issues one has to deal with in order to use a digital audio workstation these days. Let me clarify for a minute...Back when I started getting into PC and Mac-based programs several years ago, all one had to do to get software installed was to put in a serial number. If your entire system went down, you were still able to reinstall your OS and all of your music programs in under an hour. Now, we have a slew of crazy copy protection schemes to deal with that basically treat the paying customer as a criminal by imposing intrusive measures just to make the software functional! You bought our software? Prove it! Let's take a look at Windows XP. Gotta activate Windows within 30 days of installing, otherwise, the OS becomes non-functional. If you postpone activating you will have annoying pop up windows reminding you to do so every time you boot up. Oh yeah, and if you change enough of your hardware you will have to re-activate again. Your video card goes tits up in a session? You better hope the studio your at has internet so you can re-activate. Then there's the million service pack/bug fixes one has to download from the Windows update site, which will take up an entire day if you are stuck with dial-up like I am. Next, it's back to playing with more online authorization, this time from Sonic Foundry. Install Sound Forge 5 and Vegas 3. Both require me to activate and will give me annoying messages each time I use the software until I do so. Nice. Thankfully, my copy of CD Architect only requires a serial #. Guess which one of these programs I'll still be using 10 years from now? The only other music program I current use is Sonar, which thank God only requires a serial #. But what if I want to add some Waves or Antares Plug-ins to my arsenal? I have to deal with PACE and potentially deal with enormous system problems, that's what. And why, because I purchased the software and didn't want to use a crack? Logic and Cubase both require hardware based dongle's that can easily be damaged or lost, leaving your studio completely useless. Gigasampler also requires online activation if I'm not mistaken. Do these companies not realize that some of us actually try to make a living with this stuff? Also, are there any other areas in the software world where putting up with these types of protection are considered the norm? I have a hard time believing that there are. So why are musicians and engineers the only ones who put up with this then if that's the case? Because of all this I have resorted to going back to Windows 2000, which requires no activation whatsoever. I'm considering uninstalling Sound Forge 5 and putting back version 4 just so I don't have to deal with this kind of thing. But how long will using old software last me, maybe 3-4 more years? How long until we all have to sell our souls just to make software that we purchased function? I don't know about you guys, but I'm very scared to see what the future holds if these current trends continue. Maybe I should start collecting real outboard gear that will never expire...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dill, > Now, we have a slew of crazy copy protection schemes ... < No fooling. But the solution is simple: Never buy copy protected software, and urge all your friends to do likewise. Here's my contribution to the cause: [url=http://www.ethanwiner.com/copyprot.html]www.ethanwiner.com/copyprot.html[/url] --Ethan

I use a Win2K and a WinXP system for music. I think all of the nightmares I read about Mac software protection keeps me away. I know what friends went through with trying to use a floppy key on a Mac that could only use USB floppy drives. WinXP is not bad. You can change a video card without having to reactivate. Since I installed XP I changed my sound card, added a SCSI card, added a SCSI hard drive and upgraded memory. No problem and no reactivation. It takes quite a bit of change to cause XP to require reactivation. Maybe when I upgrade my motherboard I will pass the magic number and be forced into the process. The patches seem to be an aggravation, but if you don’t use the computer for exploring the Internet don’t worry about it. Most patches are centered on protection from hackers. Some are bug fixes, but if the bug does not bite you, again, don’t worry about it. SoundForge activation is no problem. Just install and register online. I do worry about what would happen if they went under. Siren is my favorite jukebox probram and they dropped it, but I can still register it online. I hope they continue to give discontinued programs that much support, or just open up the code and give us a patch that does not require registration. GigaStudio is the most problematic of the programs I use with software registration. The fact that using Norton Speed Disk causes it to require re-registration is a hassle. You don’t have this problem if you use the Windows defragmentation tool, but that takes forever to run. Hardware attachments are the worst. What happens if something breaks, or is stolen? You sit and wait until you get a replacement. That is one thing I love about Sonar. I keep all my Key codes stored in multiple places. If everything I have is wiped out, I can at least just ask for replacement disk and use the original key codes. That is why I always register my software. Robert
This post edited for speling.

[quote]Originally posted by Rabid: [b]WinXP is not bad. You can change a video card without having to reactivate. Since I installed XP I changed my sound card, added a SCSI card, added a SCSI hard drive and upgraded memory. No problem and no reactivation. It takes quite a bit of change to cause XP to require reactivation.[/b][/quote]But the problem I have is Microsoft doesn't tell you how many changes or what changes will require you to re-activate. Sure, maybe just changing my video alone card won't do it, but lets say that I had swapped out other parts before that, and now by me putting in a new video card I now have to re-activate. That's my issue. [quote]Originally posted by Rabid: [b]Maybe when I upgrade my motherboard I will pass the magic number and be forced into the process.[/b][/quote]Actually, if your motherboard has a different chipset than what you installed with originally you'll be forced to reinstall, as Windows probably won't even boot up. [quote]Originally posted by Rabid: [b]SoundForge activation is no problem. Just install and register online.[/b][/quote]But the fact that you have to go online [b]is[/b] a problem. That means you have to have internet connectivity everywhere your DAW goes. If you travel like I do that it is a big problem. [quote]Originally posted by Rabid: [b]GigaStudio is the most problematic of the programs I use with software registration. The fact that using Norton Speed Disk causes it to require re-registration is a hassle. You don’t have this problem if you use the Windows defragmentation tool, but that takes forever to run. [/b][/quote]That's the kind of shit I'm talking about. No one should have to deal with that. Of course the kid using the crack for GigaStudio won't have that problem. So what has Tascam accomplished by making you activate? That dumb-ass kid is still using the crack.

I'm a Mac user and never expirenced any problems with any security bundles. I ever I totaly agree with you. Software and plugins get cracked, all the time - so bundels doesn't make the criminals life harder it makes us honest people suffer. However that said, I know of many people who will buy one program and share it, or use cracked version if it easily accessable. So what's the solution? how do you keep honest people honest... That's THE question of our generation

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

Yup. You got me. My solution is I crack my software and back-up the cracks for each version, just in case. Of course, if a crack proves problematic (ie, it breaks the software) then I'm stuck using the normal copy protection. But it's great for plugs. In theory, I agree with Ethan, except that in practice software that does not require copy protection tends to a) not be available for my OS (Mac); or b) tends to be leaps and bounds BELOW the capabilities of copy-protected software. Just be glad you don't have to deal with copy protected microphones. =) And voice your problems, comments, and solutions to your software manufacturer (via e-mail, registration card, whatever).
//Gabriel.k

I think Miscrosoft's last announcement was that they changed the hardware check from 30 to 50 percent over a 6 month period before it triggers the need to be reauthorized. As for swapping the motherboard, I have never had a problem with windows not booting after a change. In fact, I update my computer at work so often that now I frequently just pull the boot drive out of my old computer and swap it with the hard drive that comes in the new computer. I know you are not "supposed" to do that, but if I have a hardware crash during a deadline that is the quickest way to get going. It saves me from having to reinstall and register all the programs I use. I only keep the origional HD if I feel the need to do a clean install of everything, or am moving to an updated operating system. Robert
This post edited for speling.

All of this is *double-edged*. Everyone deserves to be compensated for their products/services. But, one usually expects change to bring *advancement* and some sort of ease/time enhancement. It doesn't always happen, though. Change is *generally* a good thing. Even though it may be difficult, at first, I try to embrace changes like these. Of course, I do my research before jumping in. It or I may not be *ready* to make the change. Everything becomes obsolete in its own time. A rock seems to to hold up pretty well. But, I for one am not interested in lighting by candle, or hitching up the horse to the buggy to go to town. And, yes, those darned new cars are so difficult to do self maintenance on these days. I do think the newer stuff generally lends some advantages over the electronics of the 50s and 60s, for example. Still nice to revisit it, though, if only to remind me of the *good old days*. And, I've read/heard the bad things that the 70s and early 80s contributed in non-tube or digital electronics, even though I was too young to experience it first hand. But, it seems to be shaking out for the better... overall. Like I said, it is a mixed bag. I've altered my habits and methods to be able to embrace new technologies. Some didn't seem like great choices to me, while others were great. And, I've avoided some technologies, just because I didn't think they were mature enough for their market. Time & temporance...

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

One solution might be to buy a licenced copy, and then download and install the cracked version. It seems kind of like a pain, and somewhat pointless, but it would allow you to keep a clear conscience and not have to deal the copy protection. I have downloaded warez just to use as an unrestricted demo. It's up to me whether or not I purchase it. I don't really have too much of an ethical issue with it. I have gotten hands-on with software I could NEVER afford to buy. To me, that's not a lost sale -I would have never bought it anyway. What has the manufacturer lost? But for something that I do indeed use, I think it's appropriate to pay for it. But that's an ethical choice I make for myself. The problem with rules and laws is that people don't have to make choices based upon their convictions of right and wrong. It's that kind of philosophy that eventually comes back and bites the controllers in the ass. Copy protection probably does more to spur on piracy than it does to prevent it -how ironic. :rolleyes:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived