Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations / Ideas?

I am planning to buy a Mac G4. I still could not made up my mind which platform to choose for audio. :confused: Right now I am working with ADATs. I also have an iBook running Cubase VST 5 on it. I like Cubase for its plug-ins and virtual instruments, it works rock-solid on my iBook (24 tracks audio or 16 tracks audio plus 5-6 virtual instruments IMO it is a great performance for an iBook)and it never crashes :thu: but I do not like how Cubase handles audio and mixing on it just suxx!!! :mad: 1- I seriously think getting a 828 for G4; it is modular :cool: (you can hook up several 828s and 896s), it has a ADAT sync in port :cool: (which is great as I have ADATs) BUT the software it comes with (AudioDesk) has no MIDI. So I have to pay for Digital Performer, and I have never used Performer before, don't know whether it would "feel right" for me. :confused: 2- With ProTools I feel like I'm home. :cool: Working with audio and mixing is sooo easy, fast and fun. So I thought about Digi001 but its MIDI suxx plus I need those virtual instruments. Also, no ADAT sync input and as far as I know you cannot hook up multiple Digi001s. :eek: Any recommendations and ideas? If your requirements were similar to mine (ADAT, audio tracking, virtual instruments and mixing in the computer) which platform would you choose, or have you chosen?

Ufuk Onen

www.UfukOnen.com

Ankara, Turkey

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mac + Motu = DP3! If it's only a matter of learning to use the software then DP3 would fit your needs. If you have a little background in digital audio recording already then you should do fine. You already know what you are trying to accomplish. DP3 ships with some very decent sounding plug ins. I run NI B4 with no problems. Once you get familiar with FREEMIDI, your midi is a breeze. It's also nice to have your midi and audio tracks in the same window. I use the MOTU midi express. I never hear any of the dozens of DP3 users in this forum regret going this route. I would say the only downside to MOTU is their customer support. But help is only a post away around here.

Thanks Cereal. I can say I have a strong - strongish background concerning digital audio, I used many multitrack and editor programs but to this date I had no chance to lay my hands on Digital Performer. Learning the program would not be a problem, I have a pretty well learning curve, not that I am a genius or something but probably that I LOVE digital audio sooo much! :cool: The only thing I wanna find out is how "it feels". Like I said before, with ProTools I feel like I'm home. ;) Is mixing automation in DP similar to ProTools? I have checked MOTU's web site but they do not have a demo of DP3... :confused: I just wanna use and abuse it a bit before I make my final decision. :)

Ufuk Onen

www.UfukOnen.com

Ankara, Turkey

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b]... I would say the only downside to MOTU is their customer support...[/b][/quote]I stayed in the US for nearly six months so I know what "customer support" means and how important it is to American customers but in here it's nearly like [i]"support... what support???"[/i] so I am used to it :D [quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b]...But help is only a post away around here.[/b][/quote]:thu: :thu: OH YEAH! This is a great place to be. :cool: I got help many times before in these forums and whenever I can I'm trying my best to help people with their problems / questions. :thu: :thu:

Ufuk Onen

www.UfukOnen.com

Ankara, Turkey

BTW, I have been hearing from many people that DP3 has some severe problems with dual processor G4s. The latest discussion on this issue is at David Frangioni's forum... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=002609 Though it is nothing for me to worry about as I do not have that budget to get a dual processor G4 . Here Macs are sooo expensive! :mad: G4 800MHz 256MB RAM 40GB 256K L2 CDRW ATI RA7500 Gigabit Enet 56K $2,099 PM G4 933MHz 256MB RAM 60GB 256K L2&2MB L3 SuperDrive NVIDIA GF4MX Gigabit Enet 56K $2,999 PM G4 1000MHz DP 512MB RAM 80GB 2x2MB L3 SuperDrive NVIDIA GF4MX Gigabit Enet 56K $3,799 Plus 18% tax   :( :mad: :eek:

Ufuk Onen

www.UfukOnen.com

Ankara, Turkey

Archived