Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

context

OK, my argument runs something like this: What we doing (producing, recording, playing, engineering, etc.) does not exist without context, and I'm not talking about context regarding other people who do the same (or similar) stuff. I'm talking about a much wider context. People started to question what art actually IS around the turn of the century - the Dadaists and Surrealists started asking serious questions and these questions have not gone away - from Duchamp to Warhol to Hirst they have asked these questions and, accordingly, played with the medium in order to find out at which point it breaks and ceases to be art. Burroughs did it with literature and many modern writers (Irvin Welsh, at. al.) continue to do so - avenues hitherto unexplored are now being charged down, often resulting in dire novels, sometimes in great ones. What we do is such a new art form - novels are 250 -300 years old (very) roughly. Art has been around for ever but only recently have we started asking just what the fuck it is. Recording music in a creative way is maybe 50 or so years old - a very young art form. Much of it is sheer crap as, for a young and immature art form, pretty much anyone can have a go at it. There is a huge marketing push to sell to people with no money to pursure it which is why people (like me) buy Behringer desks! So, what next? People are not 'literate' in audio - current radio playlists confirm this with their over-compressed, over-produced bullshit. where do we go? Live music is one direction - "fuck record stores, I'm going to go and listen to some decent music at my local club" I don't see this scenario happening - people like to worship musicians and they'll only get a limited amount of hero-worship from a local band with a 2" pedistal. People love large pedistals on which to place their favourite artists. Also, music is a tribal thing, punters love belonging to the U2 club or the Brittney club. Forget it. So, as the art form progresses, do people become more 'literate'? They can recognise a shit pop tune and refuse to be a part of it, accepting only quality emotion? That's a tough one: Shakespeare wrote theatre for the masses in his day, they were soap operas to be appreciated by all. Now they are dusty museum pieces and Friends rules the world. So what is going to happen? Will music get steadily worse - devoid of genuine content? Brittney tells teenagers some piece of tat they can identify with, Limp Bizcit (or however they're spelled) represent basic teenage rage and no more. One-emotion bands, no depth, no sublety which an adult might enjoy? Excuse the spelling - beers are the enemies of spelling! All I'm saying is that what we do shouldn't be considered in isolation - it is part of a much, much bigger picture and looking at other disciplines can hint at exactly where WE'RE going. Peace :)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm...first off, seems to me, that to understand where music is going, one must look at where it's been. Popular music isn't a new concept. Records were being produced very early on...I'm sure even before the turn of the last century, when in the late 1800s Edison gave the world the phonograph. But, before that, instead of running to the record store...people would buy the current popular hits on sheet music. I believe many more people were versed on, say, piano, in those days...and I'm sure there was someone in most households that could play, say, the brand new Scott Joplin rag. Stars of the day won their acclaim either by performing in large metropolitan centers or touring extensively, but, before radio and recordings, there was no way to actually hear them unless they came to your town. Just as you compare Shakespeare to today's soap operas, the opera and symphonies represented the era before that. I think that time will weed out the crap. Think of all the Britney songs on the radio that you're bombarded with today. Fifteen years ago, who was it? Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, etc. Those people have faded in just a short matter of years...but the good stuff, the stuff that's not a flash-in-the-pan...will be remembered for a long time. In a hundred years, people will still be listening to The Beatles...in much the same way as people still listen to Gilbert and Sullivan Operettas. Maybe most people won't, but, it will age well. As to what sort of music kids will listen to in that day and age, I can't imagine. It seems to me like it's all been done. Perhaps it will come full circle, and Madrigals or Baroque music performed on pipe organ will be all the rage. Who knows? I certainly won't be here...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Rog: For me the novel writing (publishing) analogy is a good one, particularly since technology is driving the cost of entry down in a similar fashion, perhaps even more so. Also the internet & communication permits relatively smaller market pockets to develop than was possible during the penny a page era. Only a fraction of those novels have survived and are read today I imagine. The interesting thing for me about people like Dickens and the Bronte sisters is that they did reflect their times pretty honestly. Jerry

Archived