Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Re: Audio on the hard drive

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best way to setup a two drive system and a ton of ram is to partition your primary for about a 5 gig WIN or MAC partition and a 2nd partition for DATA. Install ONLY windows to the first partition and all your programs installed to the 2nd. This enables your software to function faster because it has dedicated diskspace and doesn't have to compete with windows. Cakewalk doesn't like this setup but Ptools loves it. Label your entire 2nd HD Audio Data and you can keep them straight. Works great for every system I have every worked with. pd :rolleyes:

[quote]Originally posted by [url=http://www.prometheus-design.com:]www.prometheus-design.com:[/url] [b]Best way to setup a two drive system and a ton of ram is to partition your primary for about a 5 gig WIN or MAC partition and a 2nd partition for DATA. Install ONLY windows to the first partition and all your programs installed to the 2nd. This enables your software to function faster because it has dedicated diskspace and doesn't have to compete with windows. Cakewalk doesn't like this setup but Ptools loves it. Label your entire 2nd HD Audio Data and you can keep them straight. Works great for every system I have every worked with. pd :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]I've been wanting to partition the primary drive in my G4 so my Digital Performer audio files are separated from my System Folder. Can you advise me how to do it?

[quote]Originally posted by [url=http://www.prometheus-design.com:]www.prometheus-design.com:[/url] [b]Install ONLY windows to the first partition and all your programs installed to the 2nd. Cakewalk doesn't like this setup but Ptools loves it.[/b][/quote]Actually, Sonar works fine this way, but I recommend keeping all of your apps installed where your OS is. Just use the 2nd drive for data and you should be set! :wave: -Dylan

I'd have to agree with Promtheus. I'd like to add that if the drive you're intending to use for audio-only is pretty large you should partition it into partitions no larger than 9 GB. If it's a 120 GB drive, that'll be a lot of partitions, I know, but it's worth it. The smaller the partition, the faster the disc can access the audio files, seeeing as it doesn't have to look all over the disk to find the files. Hope this helps...

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

I disagree about the partioning. I've got around 80 gigs of audio sitting in my computer right now, some on drives that are partitioned in different sizes, and the latest one is just a flat 40 gigs. I haven't noticed a speed difference either way - but it's a LOT easier dealing with the flat partition. A LOT. You know what I hate? Those blasted MANILLA YELLO folder icons in windows98. I HATE that. WHY couldn't they make it so you could change that, or even have it heiarchical, or selectable? Arghhgh.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Hey Chip, on the mac its easy, just get info for the icon, (apple I) and copy and paste onto the thumbnail view. For windows there's a shareware program called iconXp that lets you make them (.ico). Then through your control panel you can switch out the folders after you throw the .ico files into the right system folder.

Archived