Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Deals

Most Everyone seems to agree the Studio Projects C1 is a great mic for very little money. I've never seen any thing like that, people comparing a $200.00 mic to $2000.00 one. What other products used in the music industry do you think perform BETTER than you would expect for the money.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Tom Capasso: [b]Many bassists swear by the MIM Fenders, recommending that even with upgrades they perform better than the "higher priced spread" for less. Tom[/b][/quote]I don't doubt that at all. My Japanese Tele Re-issue plays better than most American made models. In fact, it plays so well that I sold my American Strat shortly after buying it.

[quote]Originally posted by Dillweed: [b]Where have you seen the Nashville Tele for that price? Everywhere I've looked it's been around $450-480. Great guitar though-highly recommended. Tele's rule![/b][/quote]I bought mine at the Guitar Center in Mpls. I just checked my receipts..... I lied 300 bucks PLUS 29.99 for the gig bag. :) jim

[quote]Originally posted by Tom Capasso: [b]Many bassists swear by the MIM Fenders, recommending that even with upgrades they perform better than the "higher priced spread" for less. Tom[/b][/quote]Absolutely true of the "Mexicasters" too. I've got a "Tele Special" that was made in the USA originally (early 90's), and they shortly thereafter started making the PARTS in the USA, and assembling and finishing them in Mexico (mostly, to avoid issues with the South Coast Air Quality Management District, or so I'm told). It's labeled "made in Mexico". WHO CARES! This thing may not go "up" in value ( as traditionally American guitars do and foreign ones don't), but it's PERFECTLY finished, plays great and is as solid as a plank... which is really what a Tele is - a plank. ;) I yanked the neck humbucker and pickguard and put a new pickguard and standard Tele neck pickup in, and put a blue Lace Sensor Tele pickup into the bridge (most purists are yelling "YUCK" right now, but have you HEARD this thing in THIS guitar?). I put in a push/pull DPDT switched volume pot and wired it up for in phase / out of phase. The treble was already set up with a TBX tone control "stock". I think I paid about $350 for the guitar new, and put maybe $100 out of pocket into it, maybe $150. Total price = $500 max. It's a killer guitar. They don't make the "Specials" anymore, but they're just one of the great Fenders made in Baja. Tom, I also really like my Ibanez Soundgear SR400... I think I paid something like $300 - 350 for that NEW, and it's a great playing, great sounding bass. And I agree with the RNC compressor. Great bang for the bucks. And yes, the NTK is a fantastic mic - period. Forget the price tag, it's a worthwhile addition to ANY studio's mic locker. The Oktava MC012's are a fabulous value. Yes, there's occasionally some quality control issues in Russia (buy from somewhere you can take them back - like Gtr Ctr), but these mics sound quite similar to the discontinued Neumann KM84 at around $100 bucks each - how can you go wrong with that? [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com "Juarez Phil?"

Gotta agree with Phil on the Oktavas - I bought a pair of these for a client, and I was absolutely floored by the quality of these mics! Great on acoustic guitar, BTW :thu: I am also a fan of my Rode NT2, which I believe can be had for $400 - very true-sounding mic. Also - Audio-Technica DR3700 (?) lipstick condenser - about $150 a couple years ago, and a GREAT live condenser mic for sax - good sound, lots of gain before feedback. I used to hate AT mics, but their more recent stuff has been nice.

RNC compressor, the Mackie mini-mixers with the VLZ preamps, and the new DanElectro guitars that look like '50s Chevy cars.

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]the Mackie mini-mixers with the VLZ preamps[/b][/quote]Ooo Ken! Testify! Mackie mixers are trashed so often on these boards, but they're really pretty good. Best, --JES

I needed some inexpensive mics for my rental PA unit and I bought three Samson S11's for $25 each. They sound "fuller" than my 58's with much better bottom end. The only drawback is the handling noise but as long as they are on a stand they are incredible for the bucks. Another great sounding mic for the money is the CAD CM17 condenser. I bought four of them at $69 each and use them for acoustic guitar, piano, drum overheads, stereo pair live recording..whatever. Very warm and clear.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

> Ooo Ken! Testify! Mackie mixers are trashed so often on these boards, but they're really pretty good. > The mini-mixer with the VLZ preamps sound great! To be honest, I'm mostly using them for the mic preamps, but you know, for the money,they're really hard to beat. I've never used the larger boards extensively, but a lot of people who do use them for their mixes -- welllll, put it this way, I don't like how their recordings sound.

>> Most people here have good thoughts about the Mackie home studio boards. They take a beating in the high-end discussions. >> What!?! This isn't a high-end discussion group? :)

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: What!?! This isn't a high-end discussion group? :) [/QB][/quote]Ya gotta realize none of the rest of us are in Santa Monica so we're all low-end. My ex's Grandparents lived there on a hill. You could see the ocean from the right perspective. Well, just up the block a place sold & the lot was, my memory could be off a bit, about 150X50 in size & had a decent house on it & went for $450K. There was bearly enough room for a single car width driveway going to the rear. That would all be fine except the new owners tore the old house down, completely, & built a new house. No existing structure so no remodel, so pull new permits for a new build. Big Bucks. Hell, this was over 10 years ago & things are higher now. So Cereal has no choice but to consider the rest of us "low-end". :D :D :D Ha! Take That Cereal! :wave:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b]But Dakster I'm really over here in White-trash Culver City. C'mon guys, have mercy on me! (go pick on mantovibe-he's got all the money) :D [/b][/quote]Yeah, I know where Culver City is, right next door to my main hospital. HUGE BUCKS! The only white trash there that I've seen are the pan handlers on the streets & they make 100G's.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

[quote]Originally posted by daklander: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b]But Dakster I'm really over here in White-trash Culver City. C'mon guys, have mercy on me! (go pick on mantovibe-he's got all the money) :D [/b][/quote]Yeah, I know where Culver City is, right next door to my main hospital. HUGE BUCKS! The only white trash there that I've seen are the pan handlers on the streets & they make 100G's.[/b][/quote]Perhaps a picture of my house will change your mind [img]http://electron.mvp.net/motrash/highlife.jpg[/img]

There's some really good guitars that are dirt cheap coming out of Korea right now labeled under Fender and Ibanez. The Ibanez Japanese RG 550's at $450, outside of the 80's styling, can't be beat. I PREDICT.... Samick is going to suddenly up and drop all of these big manufacturers they're doing guitars for and come out with their own line, advertised as "from the maker of (insert famous brand here)" - and they'll have guitars for even cheaper than dirt, and no one else will be able to make anything nearly as good or cheap in the sub-$500 market... ... and that won't be too good for the rest of the guitar industry. I think that's about to happen to the bike industry pretty soon as well. Korea may have positioned themselves exactly perfect to become *the* consumer product manufacturing force...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal: But Dakster I'm really over here in White-trash Culver City. C'mon guys, have mercy on me! (go pick on mantovibe-he's got all the money) :D Perhaps a picture of my house will change your mind[/quote]What a plush pad. Take a look at MY HOME! [img]http://www.daklandermusic.com/pics/home.jpg[/img] Man, I gotta drag this thing from trailer park to trailer park.

Our Joint

1)Shure 57's- as pervasive as they are, I still think that they aren't given enough credit. 2)HHB and TLA 3)Roland DS-1- found them for 20 bucks at a few places- I use them on a ton of crap. 4)Little Smokey Amps- these things are mini amps built into a cigarette pack- one stop to a killer geetar tone. 5)Shure KSM 32, 44- way way way underrated. 6)Roland R-8mkII- the king of all drum machines, to me- like all of Roland's classics combined w/ a Linn. 7)Old Casio keyboards 8)Tascam cassette multitracks 9)Old crystal element microphones 10) Focusrite Tone Factory- granted, mine blew up- but at least it did it under warranty. Indispensable for reamping, distortion, or d. i. It's also blowing out of the stores cheap. 11) JCM 800's- Paula Reed Smith uses these w/ his band, and I couldn't believe they were what they were-well, ends up that it's a mod. He offered to mod one for a 100 bucks, haven' t taken him up on the offer yet- but this would be a killer deal since the 800's are soooo cheap. It is the best sounding Marshall ever.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Archived