Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cerial to coaster - come in evil twin

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[url=http://www.daklandermusic.com/pics/dart.jpg]HERE\'S[/url] a picture. It's a project. I'll send over an email later this evening with more information. I've gotta quit real quick here, & do my wifely duties, (cook dinner while my Hotty is working) It's complete, some cancer, nothing major that I can see. Mechanically it needs an engine. I'll tell you about it when I get back on.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

HA! YOUR the [i]EVIL[/i] one "cerial"! well i have never owned a pre-70 dart but i can tell you this much: anything older than a 69 of ANY make will have assemblies in it that are not "modern" things like brakes will likely be drums on all four corners, master cyl will be ONE cylinder (bad) power steering is extremely rare, ignition will be points unless upgraded. AFAIK mopar never made an [i]inline[/i] six but they did make the [i]slant six[/i] . \6 is a great engine IMHO and can be upgraded to modern style operating system. on the darts, things to look for are the subframe mounts around the front body, steering stability (as parts are difficult to find but not impossible) and general damage from folks that dont care about fixes they have made in the last 30-40 years. as with any car that old, be prepared to "make your own parts" at times, weld things that break (except steering components) and rebuild major assemblies. i love the old darts the 61 is my favorite! check out this site for a lot of info and links to other sites specializing in the old darts: [url=http://www.allpar.com]www.allpar.com[/url] http://www.valiant.org/abodies.html [img]http://www.dodgedart.org/cars/60dart1.jpg[/img]

can't believe I spelled my name wrong. Cerial?? duh..... The OTHER car I've always liked is the '57 Bel Aire. But that would be even more of a project I'm sure. I've got a buddy who picked up a mint '55 Ford Special for $6,500 and my lust is out of control. I'm new to the retro car scene but I'm at that mid-life age where I think it might be good for me.

cereal just remeber one thing: thes old cars are NOT to be taken litely. they require work, and patience. i find my 1969 dodge truck to be so rewarding i cant begin to explain it. it doesnt get me girls, and it wont win a drag race. but it WILL haul one and a half tons of band gear or dirt (if you can tell the difference lol) i love my truck. unfortunately (or fortunalty) i have to work on it a lot. you CAN work on these, but a general knowledge of the systems in the cars is a blessing. also get a repair manual. get three manuals. join a forum like this, only about the type of car you want. stay away from those bel airs, unless you can find a one-owner grandma car that has low miles. the dodge darts are built with high quality and are built to last. but since they are dodges, they are quirky when tracing parts for replacement. i replaced my master cylinder with one that was supposed to be right, and looked right, and bolted in. the main piston inside had pressure releif valves that were located 1/16 inch off from where they were supposed to be for my truck. this ruined all the brake drums in short order. total cost for master cyl: $35 total cost to replace the entire brake system with the [i]correct[/i] parts: $400 and thats cause i did it myself. a shop would have easily charged $2500 dont let me detract you from buying the car. i just see too many people think they can buy one, slap some tires and paint on it and drive it forever. that NEVER happens. then they get frustrated and think its just happening to them. its NOT. its just the way they are. its kinda like buying a mixing console that is 40 years old. it would kinda have some work neede all the time, no? i will buy these old vehicles and love them until my government makes it completely impossible for me to do so. i love old cars and trucks. they are truly a joy. its all how you look at them. you can love them and enjoy the challenges of repair, or pull your hair out and scream instead. i choose to enjoy the times when i drive my truck, and enjoy the times i repair my truck. its my daily driver, and its hard sometimes to keep it going everyday. it gets cold here, below zero at times, and i find i take things for granted on newer cars like fuel injection and wiper motors, heater motors, wiring, switches, on and on. its really a neat thing to own one!! (i hope your not married?)

Well Coast- Looks like more than meets the eye. I will proceed with great caution and keep you posted along the way. I have a really good mechanic I'm gonna talk to mAybe this weekend. Hey Dak-that's not such a bad looker at all. Let me ask my buddy about would it woulds cost to do it up. But as you can see, homework is required. Now.....check out the little sweetheart my daughter's girlfriend just bot. It's the Dodge at top of page. http://vipclassics.com/page3.html

Hey, don't forget about the Valiant - Plymouth's version of the Dart. These were a bit more prettied up than the Darts. I'd opt for the slant-6. Those motors are bullet proof. AND better on gas than the 318 V8 (which I believe was the next step up). You won't win any races, but - given the right gear ratio - the 6 can scoot along quite nicely on the highway. This site has pictures of mostly mopar products, which have seen better days. Not for the faint of heart, but there are a variety of Dart/Valiant pics to view: http://www.moparts.com/moparts/picture/yards/ I am a phat platter "nothin beats a little chi tea after tai chi!"

You guys are into old Mopar????!!!!! That's great! I lurk around here cuz I'm getting into the production side of things, bur never really add much since I feel like a novice. However......if you want to talk old Darts or old Harleys, I can add to the conversation. Here's link to a page with a pic of my '62 Dart. http://www.revrighttime.com/photo.htm You may have to click on "velvet george" to go to my personal page. Sorry, but the band site is the only one I have with pics up. Anyway, you'll see a pic of my Dodge which came from Tennessee to Michigan then sat in a parking lot for 4 years. Everything that could dry rot, did. Even the coolant passages in the heads coroded shut! The seals in the tranny. The ducts in the radiator. ect ect. If you need any specific sources for parts ect, let me know. I've definately searched them out. Velvet

Not too shabby there, George. What's your power plant? Looks like the body is in great shape. I've always had a weak spot for the '62 Plymouth Fury/Belvedere models myself. Most people hate em though. Odd styling. Very strange looking from the front. People have said the same about me as well :D You might really enjoy this link: http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/welcome.html Mopars - '62 to '65 Lots of info, pics and even some old ads.

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b]Well Coast- Now.....check out the little sweetheart my daughter's girlfriend just bot. It's the Dodge at top of page. http://vipclassics.com/page3.html [/b][/quote]Man I had one of those when I was a kid. It was the green on green with a white top. Tudor hardtop, Redball v-8 with auto trans. I swapped a really cherry 54 ford with a bad trans for it. Wish I still had 'em both.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Thanks mdpetrick, it's got the ol 225 slant 6. I have to confess that the pic is a few years old. Michigan weather has taken it's toll a bit. There's some surface rust trying to poke through on the fenders. But all in all it's still real solid. Definately a cool daily driver. Plus it gets extra "bat-mobile" points. I love pulling up to the gig in it. Velvet

Oh yea. Had a '66 Valient for a few years. I still miss that car. Perfect condition, actually got it from a grandma. Slant 6 that I thought was bullet proof, nope. Around '90 I moved to Boston for a few years and loaned the car to a friend in Humbolt who was in need (new kid, bad job). After 2 years he threw a rod, and me being on the other coast could only wave goodbye. I was told by others the only way this happens on this car was no oil. Damn, now I have a Volvo wagon. How did that happen?
-David R.

You guys - I had a '65 light blue Dart with the 170 slant 6. What a dream. Named it Marlene (after a Rundgren song). Lost it when I got rear-ended in '78. Great car. In those days, I did most of the work myself, though I didn't soup it up at all. Mom had a '71 Valiant for a while. Had a 318, and that was a Hemi, and the car weighed nothing - it flew !! Hey ceriel/serial/cereal - good luck with whatever you choose. Sounds like you've got friends here that can help you !! Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived