Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to gather emails for your band's gig announcements

Nobody said it was easy. But if you have a band, I guess the best way by far, is to be pro-active. Ask for people's emails. "Are you on our email list?" Work the crowd at your gigs. Any other tips? You could put out a hat or something with a sign asking for their email address. I wonder if anybody would drop it in there.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have an email address on your band's website. Then you can put a sign/business cards/flyers out. When people check you out, they can sign up. I know it's not as direct as actually having people write up addresses at a gig, but it saves you typing them in... Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

First make sure EVERY page of your website has some type of email collector. Anything--even an email link that says "Subscribe to our newsletter". Then at gigs, have a simply clip board with a sheet of paper that has a line for email addresses and optionally, zip code, so you can target your mailings if you ever travel outside your playing radius. Announce from the stage at the beginning of your set, middle, and end that there's a sign up sheet. If you have a merchandise table, this is where it should be. Have a couple pens handy and try to make the space big enough so people print neatly. Ask bands in your area or that you share a bill with to plug your band in their newsletter, e.g., "Hey if you like us, then you have to check out "So & So, and you can get their email newsletter...". Only send a newsletter 2 - 3 times a month MAX and I've been hearing sending it in the middle of the day works best as people in the morning blow through their emails and have more time to read emails that come in throughout the day. If you send out a snail mail newsletter, be sure to mention on it that there's an email newsletter available at your site. Put your web site URL on everything: guitar cases, drum head, fliers, banners, post cards, business cards, etc. Putting an email address can't hurt either. I've also gone into chat rooms in my area to ask people if they'd like to get our newsletter based on the tone of the conversation/chat. Also, in any emails you send or posts you make to bulletin boards (like this one) create a signature that plugs your band's web site. Tell your band mates the same thing. The home page should have a prominent email collector.

Archived