Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does Anybody Know How to Make a Laptop Recognize the PCMCiA cd Drive?

i've got some software that i installed on my sony vaio picturebook laptop, i don't have a usb cd rom I have an external pcmcia cd rom drive and "my computer" in win 2000pro recognized it fine when i installed the software now, but when i tried to launch the program it asked me to isert the cd again for proof of purchase, and there's a dialog box that says waiting for cd on the screen. so i put the cd in but it does'nt recognize it. the cd has an auto run file on it and it opens up on the screen just like its suppose to but the dialogue box still just sits there waiting for the cd. does anybody know a way around this?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am guessing the software wants the CDROM to be a certain drive letter ( like 'E') and your system has assigned it another letter. Go to the device manager ( right click the MY COMPUTER icon and go to the listing for the CDROM drive. Once there, look at the properties. You need to select the GENERAL Tab and look at the drive letter assigned to the CDROM. If you are not sure what letter the software is looing for, start with "D" and work your way thru til it works... Depending on the software, you may find out more details at their support site...

Archived