Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's talk about booking agents

Ya know, I never thought about it. I guess cuz I don't know an agent. Hey, maybe I should be one! Nobody loves live music more than me! Just curious. Is there a demand for booking agents? Is there an increased need for one these days or less of a need? How much does an agent earn? How do you become one? Do you just say "I am a booking agent?" What exactly does an agent do? I assume an agent works for multiple acts. Do you know of any agents that it's all that they do? Their sole occupation?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b]Ya know, I never thought about it. I guess cuz I don't know an agent. Hey, maybe I should be one! Nobody loves live music more than me! Just curious. Is there a demand for booking agents? Is there an increased need for one these days or less of a need? How much does an agent earn? How do you become one? Do you just say "I am a booking agent?" What exactly does an agent do? I assume an agent works for multiple acts. Do you know of any agents that it's all that they do? Their sole occupation?[/b][/quote]I've worked with loads of agents. You'll generally find them at a talent agency. I'd say there's less demand for them now than in years. At least where I live, there are very few places that hire musicians anymore. If you want to be one, I'd check with an agency and see about getting hired. You'll have to wear a suit and be out at clubs all the time checking out talent and touching bases with club owners. I can't imagine the pay is very good unless you own the agency. I always paid the agency 15% (20% for one nighters) so if they had a ton of acts playing a ton of venues it could be good cash, but I just don't see that now days. Most musicians I know are making less per band than they did per person ten years ago. It's pitiful actually.

[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b]Ya know, I never thought about it. I guess cuz I don't know an agent. Hey, maybe I should be one! Nobody loves live music more than me! Just curious. Is there a demand for booking agents? Is there an increased need for one these days or less of a need? How much does an agent earn? How do you become one? Do you just say "I am a booking agent?" What exactly does an agent do? I assume an agent works for multiple acts. Do you know of any agents that it's all that they do? Their sole occupation?[/b][/quote]For local gigs...to me a waste of money. You can do all your own booking with minimal effort. Special gigs and out of towners/mini tours require some special attention, so thats a good job for an agent.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived