Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

High frequency spectrum roll off in mixing and mastering

I have read Andertons lovely master articles in EQ-mag,(vol:13 issue:2)In the article about the plugg "iZotope" there are som talk about the "signature" high frequensy spectrum that roll off gradually in many commersial recordings. In the program you can se a overlaid yellow line as a reference curve that shows this gradual rolloff. The "signature" are offcorse an product by mastering and mixing. I would like to know better how i vill reach this gradual roll off. Where are the start freq and by how many db are the slope. Any one here hwo got some more general productions tip about mixing and mastering to reach this slope. (i know there are things like Steinberg Free-filter etc but to my ears its not sounds good.) Thank you very much (and sorry for bad english) Jesper

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by tofrance@hotmail.com: [b]Anyone!! Jesper[/b][/quote]I skimmed over that as well. I'd like to know what the strategy is.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

I can't read the mind of whoever wrote the article you are refering to but, try starting at 15k -1 db , w/ a wide Q. Try 15, going up to 20, 22; use your ears. Try not to do more than about 3db. I use this to 'emulate' tape top end sometimes. Hey, you might even want to start cutting at 12, if you want a real ancient sound. Peace, GT3

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Thanks alot GT3!!. Trying to emulate tape is a good suggestion... Fletcher (Mercanary Audio) Answer my question in the GM forum like this: "The rolloff you describe will happen pretty naturally... it takes less energy to reproduce high frequency signals than it does to reproduce low frequency signal... so you will have a natural tendency for low stuff to be louder than high stuff though the balance appears to be correct." But I guess that the "signature" hig end is harder to get naturally when you go digital, because off the linear format. Then there are the problems with Digital EQ:s who sems to only correct the sound, not "flawor" it like analog stuff. Anyone else who figth some unpleasant "digital" high end (with digital gear)? Jesper (I know my english is not the best)

Archived