Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I just saw the Doobies w/ Mark Farner

This was my first concert (that I didn't have to work) in over 20 years. Meadowbrook Farm, Gilford NH. Nice setup, stage, seating. Appx 3000 people. Outside .. killer sound system. The Doobies definitely have their show down. I wasn't blown away but I was very satisfied. Bass guitar was way too loud though. (the kick was fine.) However, when Farner opened at 8pm, it was like a freight train hit us. Picture this: PERFECT night, no bugs, no humidity. CD playing soft enough for you to talk easily. Crowd was 80% 35-55 year olds .. everyone like 'really mellow man .. like can you dig it, man ?' Then WHAM ! Farner opens with 'Footstompin' Music'. Everything turned up to 11. He's singing high C's and D's clear as a bell, and he did that for an hour. His encore was 'Closer to Home'; full album version complete with ocean and seagull sounds. I'm not the biggest GFRR fan around but his presentation knocked my dick in the dirt. His band was flawless .. SUPERB vocals. They did perfect renditions of his tunes and they were some 'F-in' tight too. I'm 50, and this really has me re-thinking my cushy, lazy, guitar attitude. I won't go on the road again .. but what these bands still have can be had in small club venue as well IMO. I WANT TO HAVE FUN AGAIN, DAMMIT.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw the Doobies a few months ago in Marksville, La. I was pleased with the show. Makes an old man feel good that some other old men can still do it. And, I agree. I'd never do da bus thing again. But, certainly do miss the playing.. Enjoy your day, AaV
My family "coat of arms" buckles in the back. Is that normal?

bvdd... Dave Mason said it in "Feelin' Alright"... "Gonna have a little fun, now, before I die"... Have fun before you're dead. Don't wait...or make excuses, or say "Old men don't rock and roll". Just get out there and kick ass...locally, if you want, y'know, stay off the road. And I'd bet there are some other quality rockers in your town who hung up their "guns" for a tie and a cushy job behind a desk...well, hell, the kids are grown or growing...give 'em a call. Play on YOUR terms, not some f***ing club owner. People make fun of Jagger and stuff, but guys like him will die a heckuva lot happier than people who think you have to cash in your AC/DC records for Barry Manilow once you hit 50. And hell, 50 ain't old, either. Neither is 60. Or 70. Look at B.B. King!
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Either on TV or in person, every time I see some of the oldtimers still doing it right, it reminds me that I can to. I'm almost 53. And, actually, with a career almost done, and no more tricycle motors to feed, I can afford the gear, and the time to make my music. Granted, I don't look to hitting the road or being a star. But, I have a hell of a good time with my music even if all I'm doing is driving my wife up the wall with the noise. Or, having children and grand children think I've gone over the edge. Enjoy your day, AaV This message has been edited by AaV on 08-22-2001 at 12:51 PM
My family "coat of arms" buckles in the back. Is that normal?

Well, AaV... Playing music in your basement is a lot of fun, but you know as well as I do that playing music is only half the satisfaction...the other half (could be even more than half) is having an audience get off on it. Gotta have an audience...in my humble opinion anyway. John McFee lurks here occasionally, huh? Cool. I'd bet there are a few notables here, hiding under unrecognizable handles. I'd like to see Farner. I saw his former mates touring under the "Grand Funk" label, with Max Carl (I think formerly of .38 Special) on vocals and Bruce Kulick (Kiss) on guitar. That wasn't a bad show, either...but, y'know, Max is a swell singer...but only Farner is Farner.

"I'd like to see Farner. I saw his former mates touring under the "Grand Funk" label, with Max Carl (I think formerly of .38 Special) on vocals and Bruce Kulick (Kiss) on guitar. That wasn't a bad show, either...but, y'know, Max is a swell singer...but only Farner is Farner." I haven't seen ANY version of GFR people til' now, but I'd be willing to bet that what I saw last Sunday nite happened because of Farner .. period. There's something about the old dubbs who sang on the original song, still having the pipes and chops. WOW. Hey GY: Yea McFee was playing in that show. He was a monster. Not that he would give a shit, but I'd like to tell him the bass guitar was so loud it was distracting my friends and me from the great show. (just in case they're having some issue with the main board man.) And I know it was the mix because Farner didn't have that problem.

McFee is one of those not mentioned in the "best sidemen" post. He's extremely talented and a ball of energy. He produced a CD for Peter Lewis (another neighbor of mine... Moby Grape) and did most of the playing himself. "There's something about the old dubbs who sang on the original song, still having the pipes and chops. WOW." It's interesting to hear some of the "old guys" and who can still sing and rock and who can't! This message has been edited by GY on 08-22-2001 at 03:30 PM

GY

Hmmm... I try not to judge too harshly...because ability can vary from one performance to the next. Heard an interview with Tom Johnston...he said keeping his range was a function of singing a lot...keeping his cords exercised, y'know. To that end...pipes usually deepen with age...one reason why your Uncle Harold is recognizable to all as a 78 year old, y'know...and some just can't stop father time, but... Sometimes it can be a function of where in the tour they are. I heard some live Van Hagar which was recorded near the end of a tour, and ol' Sammy was hurtin' for certain.

Farner is singing better than I've ever heard him. I saw Preservation Hall Jazz Band a couple of years ago and that is what inspired me to get back into it. The tenor banjo player was 92 at the time. I hear he finally passed away, but he was playin' the daylights out of that banjo and he got up and sang Georgia On My Mind. Brought the house down. I thought to myself: Self. This dude has been on tour longer since he was my age than I am old!!!! I've been giggin' all over the place ever since. And, I guess it's probably because I don't drink much anymore and quit dope, but I have way more stamina now at 46 than I did in my 20's. I mean, I get tired, but we still do clubs stuff and a lot of one nighters. I drag my leslie around with me plus a lot more and I feel great. I'm playing blues and jazz so I can play that stuff 'till they screw me into the ground and nobody's gonna accuse me of bein' too old. Come on all you old timers out there. What are you waitin' for? Get out there and show the youngsters how it's done. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

[quote]Originally posted by b3wiz: [b]Farner is singing better than I've ever heard him. I saw Preservation Hall Jazz Band a couple of years ago and that is what inspired me to get back into it. The tenor banjo player was 92 at the time. I hear he finally passed away, but he was playin' the daylights out of that banjo and he got up and sang Georgia On My Mind. Brought the house down. I thought to myself: Self. This dude has been on tour longer since he was my age than I am old!!!! I've been giggin' all over the place ever since. And, I guess it's probably because I don't drink much anymore and quit dope, but I have way more stamina now at 46 than I did in my 20's. I mean, I get tired, but we still do clubs stuff and a lot of one nighters. I drag my leslie around with me plus a lot more and I feel great. I'm playing blues and jazz so I can play that stuff 'till they screw me into the ground and nobody's gonna accuse me of bein' too old. Come on all you old timers out there. What are you waitin' for? Get out there and show the youngsters how it's done. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img][/b][/quote] That's the spirit, B3!...I just got back from N'Awlins...saw the Preservation Hall Band, too. What a vibe!

"Farner is singing better than I've ever heard him." Boy, you've got that right. His voice was clear, FULL range, and matured perfectly. Definitely better than I remember. It's been 5 days now and I'm still singing "BAD TIME".

Archived