Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things are Heating up in Radio-land

For some of us who follow this kind of thing, [url=http://salon.com/ent/feature/2002/03/13/indie_promotion/index.html]this article[/url] isn't a shocker, but it is interesting that things are starting to heat up. Some rocks are going to get turned over some time this year. Regards, Dan Worley

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks, Dan. Snip from that article: [i]And that's why labels are increasingly uncomfortable with the system they helped create. Suddenly caught in the middle of severe economic downturn (music sales are down sharply for the first time in two decades), labels simply cannot afford to pay out millions of dollars to indie middlemen who may or may not create hit records.[/i] What I'd like to know is how sharply are sales down? If anyone knows of any site that would show this, advise, please. And if anyone knows WHY sales are down, I'd sure like to know your opinion. Is it internet MP3 trading or not at all? How much do you think that affects sales?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Yeah corporate America has screwed it up for another generation of the music buying public. I was one of the guys who bought a new album every payday, and made it a social event that evening listening to it with friends. Of course back in the day, you recorded it onto your Nakamichi, and rarely if ever played the vinyl again. I've got thirty year old albums with nary a scratch on them, pristine jackets as well. I guess that is a thing of the past, when life was simpler.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b]What I'd like to know is how sharply are sales down?[/b][/quote]Maybe it's because 90% of what is released is targeted at 12-14 year old kids and the rest of us are left out. Besides the U2 album that came out well over a year ago and the soundtrack for "O Brother", there really isn't anything worth buying a the moment (at least in the mainstream). If there other good albums out there I'd love to know about them...

[quote]Originally posted by Dillweed: [b] [quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b]What I'd like to know is how sharply are sales down?[/b][/quote]Maybe it's because 90% of what is released is targeted at 12-14 year old kids and the rest of us are left out. Besides the U2 album that came out well over a year ago and the soundtrack for "O Brother", there really isn't anything worth buying a the moment (at least in the mainstream). If there other good albums out there I'd love to know about them...[/b][/quote]Chris Isaaks new one is good, Double Trouble's got a hot one, Jay Farrar's solo is cool, and Steve Earle has a new one hitting the stores soon.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b] What I'd like to know is how sharply are sales down? If anyone knows of any site that would show this, advise, please. And if anyone knows WHY sales are down, I'd sure like to know your opinion. Is it internet MP3 trading or not at all? How much do you think that affects sales?[/b][/quote]I'll spare you my diatribe (lucky you) and just point you back to two other articles: [url=http://www.salon.com/ent/music/feature/2001/12/19/music_industry/index.html]Music industry is in the pits![/url] and [url=http://www.salon.com/ent/music/feature/2001/12/19/music_industry_sidebar/index.html]Why the record industry is killing the single[/url] Regards, Dan Worley

Archived