Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Can yiou guys from SC get rid of this guy, Please.

From the AP and FoxNews - [i][b]Sen. Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, D-S.C.[/b], said he would [b]introduce legislation that would make it a crime to create, sell or distribute any electronics without some sort of copyright protection technology[/b] unless companies can come up with their own standards without government intervention. The entertainment industry is the primary force behind Hollings' bill. The companies contend they need piracy controls to protect their profits in a world where content in the form of digital information can easily be copied, sent across networks and burned onto a disc. "If you don't protect content on the Internet, you will end the entertainment business," charged Michael Eisner, chairman of the Walt Disney Co., which, along with News Corporation (Fox News' parent company) and other major media players, has pushed hardest for the rules. Critics of the industry say that the companies have had the ability to protect their content for years, but they shirked it and are now rushing to the courts and Congress to step in so the companies will not look the villain to their consumers. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a technology civil liberties group, notes that the entertainment industry repeatedly fought new technologies in the past — from the phonograph to the VCR — only to discover later that the technologies helped create new revenue. That argument is supported by House Majority Leader Dick Armey, R-Texas, a free-market advocate who opposes Hollings' proposal. "If the government were to set technology standards," said Armey spokesman Richard Diamond, "we'd still be using 8-track tapes right now." [/i] :freak: :eek: :rolleyes:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by TinderArts: [b][b]Sen. Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, D-S.C.[/b], said he would [b]introduce legislation that would make it a crime to create, sell or distribute any electronics without some sort of copyright protection technology[/b] unless companies can come up with their own standards without government intervention.[/b][/quote]Oops - too late. Besides, you can't make a copy-proof CDR drive. Maybe it *is* the end of the entertainment industry; I say again, it's not to be taken for granted "the Music Business" will *always* be a [i]business[/i]...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

The problem is money. In 2001 for the first time, more blank CD's were sold than prerecorded CD's. They are loosing money. As we all know, money talks. Look what they did to DAT. However, when you can spend your time, effort and money creating a product that you expect to get paid to do, it is frustrating to have that product taken away from you and freely distributed leaving you with nothing. Why sell millions of CD's when you can sell ten and have the rest copied and distributed for free? How long can the record companies continue to loose money?

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

It would make me extremely happy if Michael Eizner/Dick Army/The Electronic Frontier Foundation/The CD Pirates/Fritz Hollings and a shitload of 17 year olds chased each other in a huge circle until they all melted into butter. :idea:
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]Originally posted by GZsound@hotmail.com: [b]The problem is money. In 2001 for the first time, more blank CD's were sold than prerecorded CD's.[/b] Yeah, and do you want to know where a lot of them are going? I buy spindles of 50 CD-R's ALL THE TIME... I make backups of computer DAW data, AW4416 backup data, rough mixes and pratice / rehersal mixes for clients, masters for artists and labels, etc. etc. etc. ...not to mention the occasional coaster (no, not you Mr Neenernoo ;) ) Sure, people are making copies of copyright covered works, but the use by businesses and audio professionals has also gone through the roof. [b] They are loosing money. As we all know, money talks. Look what they did to DAT. [/b] Yes, and I spoke out against it back then, and I'll do the same now. Does it seem fair for some of the very people who are PRODUCING the music should have to pay taxes / royalties / premiums on this stuff? It doesn't to me. [b]However, when you can spend your time, effort and money creating a product that you expect to get paid to do, it is frustrating to have that product taken away from you and freely distributed leaving you with nothing. Why sell millions of CD's when you can sell ten and have the rest copied and distributed for free? How long can the record companies continue to loose money?[/b] Interesting point. Should we expect to see web distribution take off in the next few years? Can the labels finally figure out a way to adapt to the new technology that is fair to them, the artists and quick and convienient to the consumer? Should MP3's be thought of as "promotion and advertising" or copyright infringement - which way will result in more investment in new artists and industry stability and growth? Time will tell... and I'm sure we'll see everyone else's thoughts right here RSN... [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com [/quote]

I think part of the problem is pre-recorded music is way too expensive, that's why the consumer revolt with mp3s. My God $15.00 to $20.00 is way too much for a CD. There's too many people in the chain that want to get paid and the artist who made the music is one of the last in line. Also Taliban is partially right, not all, but a lot of our music are suck.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]Also Taliban is partially right, not all, but a lot of our music are suck.[/b][/quote]LOL! That is so true. Rock and metal fans buy a lot of original cds to keep their favourite bands going. The ones who are not selling enough are the artists with the big corporate backing.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]I think part of the problem is pre-recorded music is way too expensive, that's why the consumer revolt with mp3s. My God $15.00 to $20.00 is way too much for a CD. There's too many people in the chain that want to get paid and the artist who made the music is one of the last in line. Also Taliban is partially right, not all, but a lot of our music are suck.[/b][/quote]Expensive compared to what? 25 years ago vinyl LPs cost me $4-$5 and my first car cost $4700 new. You think I can get a new car for (3 x $4700) $14,100 today? Not when that is all in Cdn$ = $9,040 U.S. Maybe the distribution of money is out of whack, not the total.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

Archived