Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Am I Cursed?

During my most recent run-in with the audio gods that be, I began to wonder if I was one of the people I read about that are prone to buying faulty gear. The most recent is with the TD-10 module from my V-Pro kit. I was syncing together my Triton, TD-10 and PTLE. After correcting some settings because of "Data Overload" messages on the TD-10, all seemed to be working fine...with the exception of a couple more MIDI Rx & Tx switches that needed adjusting. As I was continuing my fun, I glanced over at the TD-10 and the LCD was blank...as if the contrast had been fully turned up. Also, the entire board was frozen..all buttons, sliders and knobs. My only recourse was to reboot the TD-10. It started fine and everything looked ok, but when I started the sequencer, the sounds from the TD-10 were screwed-up, especially from the snare pad and kick pads...but depended on the chosen program. The TD-10 froze again during the next test so this time I re-initialized it. This did not remedy the problem. The sounds emanating from the TD-10 were still bizarre. Even scrolling through the list of instruments revealed oddities...for example a crash sound from the description of a snare. I then ran the internal tests which revealed a ROM Err for test 2. It read BAT..ok ROM...Err WAV...ok After talking to service in Vancouver and Toronto, the TD-10 is on it's way to be diagnosed and hopefully a simple and low-cost fix. Just my luck. It's only a 1 1/2 years old with very low mileage. It sits stationary in my home studio and has been since I set it up Sept. 2000. The faulty gear history is as follows: XV-88...pedal didn't work out of the box...replaced with a good yamaha pedal. PM3...one speaker cord was faulty...replaced with custom cables. And buzz from cabinet which has mysteriously disappeared. KC100...buzz from cabinet which has disappeared also. Truth B2031's...front port dislodged and fell into bottom of cabinet...fixed myself with construction adhesive instead of the cheap hot-glue used. Triton...distractingly noisy outputs...replaced with new Triton which is noiseless. But the piece de resistance is the TD-10 explained above. Of course I do own gear that is flawless so far, such as Digi001 box, Focusrite gear, Mackie 1604. Am I cursed? Jim

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I somethimes feel the same curse hanging over my head. About 20 years ago, it seemed that anything I bought that was electronic would have similar disasters to yours. I had a friend who would often by the same thing as I was at the same place and time I was. You could guess that his devices were flawless. He'd never let me buy anything for him... he'd tag along and buy it himself! But, it seems to go in cycles, for me. I think I'm running OK on the gear-o-rama meter. There are some other areas of my life that are running strange. But, I wake up in the morning, my wife still loves me, and I remember that (:>)

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

I have that curse. I've gotten used to it. I always tell my dealers to ship the new units that are earmarked for me back to the factory for repair first. It saves me a lot of time and hassle. Doesn't do any good to tell them to ship a different one, because then that one would be screwed up. The other curse I have, is, when I finally do get things straightened away and working right, they will only work right if I'm alone in the studio, as soon as someone else shows up, they stop working. What's that all about? Last night I was working on a mix; I must of played it thirty times without a glitch. I left everything on and didn't change a thing, and I slept on the hide-a-bed for a couple of hours--you know how it is. As soon as my business partner walked in this morning I tried to show her the mix...no audio, nada, zip, nothing. Geez! I run all digital gear here so I had to reboot everything and then it was fine. It makes me wonder sometimes if I should really be doing this. Regards, Dan Worley

So, I have this guitar that I've loved for the past 6 years or so, it's never let me down. A friend talks me into a deal with getting a custom made guitar. As the time draws nigh for the new guitar to arrive, my trusted guitar is doing all sorts of weird things suddenly: doesn't stay in tune, buzzing in oddball places, and now I think the truss rod is broke. On top of that, I break a string everyday now. Sometimes two. New strings. All places on the string. Amazing. I had a duplicate of the guitar that I sold to a student just recently that functioned perfectly; sold it because I'm going to go through the painful process of switching over to a narrower Fender-sized nut, as well as going back to the old Floyd spacing. So I planned on putting a Frankenstein guitar together out of Warmoth parts and bits I have laying around, so I wouldn't have to carry the Shiny New Vehicle of Musical Creation to work (where it would get messed up ultimately...). This is what I get for springing for an expensive piece of pseudo-exotica I suppose. Chip's 1st Law of Karma: for every forward expenditure there will be an equal and opposite debit. It never fails: buy one new piece of gear, immediately an older and trusted piece - taken for granted - fails. Sigh.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Hey Jbr. I also own a roland td-10. I've had it for about 3 years and I've toured the world with it. I can definately testify that it's rugged,when racked properly. The only problem I have ever had with it was when I first got it. I had forgotten to plug it into my furman and went str8 into the wall outlet at the studio. 5 minutes later...zip-bang-boom. I smell burnt circuits. luckily I had bought it at a local dealer and they were kind enough to replace it for me. You should check out this site [url=http://www.vdrums.com]www.vdrums.com[/url] They have a forum that's pretty cool. very interesting tidbits on the td-10. Good Luck :thu: JLB

ATOMIX! :evil:

http://www.abc.net.au/common/logos/whtblkgrn.gif

Hey Jbr. I also own a roland td-10. I've had it for about 3 years and I've toured the world with it. I can definately testify that it's rugged,when racked properly. The only problem I have ever had with it was when I first got it. I had forgotten to plug it into my furman and went str8 into the wall outlet at the studio. 5 minutes later...zip-bang-boom. I smell burnt circuits. luckily I had bought it at a local dealer and they were kind enough to replace it for me. You should check out this site [url=http://www.vdrums.com]www.vdrums.com[/url] They have a forum that's pretty cool. very interesting tidbits on the td-10. Good Luck :thu: JLB

ATOMIX! :evil:

http://www.abc.net.au/common/logos/whtblkgrn.gif

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]...As the time draws nigh for the new guitar to arrive, my trusted guitar is doing all sorts of weird things suddenly: doesn't stay in tune, buzzing in oddball places, and now I think the truss rod is broke...[/b][/quote]In the computer world, it was a well documented fact that the "old" computer always knew when the "new" computer was coming, and protested (read: broke down) accordingly. Sorry Chip - sounds like your old guitar knows about the new upscale arrival... Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Chip's "1st Law of Karma" sounds about right. JLB...funny you should mention that. Though I do have the TD-10 plugged into a pretty expensive surge protector, it isn't a Furman. My rack gear is using a PM-8. And last Sat. the power was acting up then eventually went off. I unplugged all the power protectors from all my gear from the wall just 10 minutes before the power shut off. Five hours later... Yet it seemed to work fine after that. I posted at vdrums.com as well.

It's funny, I try to fight that "anima" sensation - that an object has some sort of "awareness" of a situation, but I'm almost to the point where I'm willing to believe there's some sort of pseudo-elaborate beyond human-perception math thing going on that causes this. I don't believe in "luck", but I think I believe in Statistical Synchronic Karma. I *think* I know what I mean by that, but I'll not bore the audience...

I guess I have the opposite karma. I work as a studio technician and when I come into the room things which were broken fix themselves. I also have gut feelings about when things are going to break. I know that it's really based on my experiences but it's partly in my blood since my dad was a Mr. Fixit type who was always tinkering with stuff. I kinda grew up in a workshop. Hey if you guys need any help just let me know. ;)

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]It's funny, I try to fight that "anima" sensation - that an object has some sort of "awareness" of a situation, but I'm almost to the point where I'm willing to believe there's some sort of pseudo-elaborate beyond human-perception math thing going on that causes this. I don't believe in "luck", but I think I believe in Statistical Synchronic Karma. I *think* I know what I mean by that, but I'll not bore the audience...[/b][/quote]Hey Chip, I know what you mean, and it's definately not boring. I think all matter has an awareness, just at different levels. Human awareness is the apex on the physical plane...we are aware that we are aware. Yet, there are awarenesses beyond... I must be sending negative vibes to my gear :mad: Are you familiar with Deepak Chopra's writings? Great web site and music!

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]It's funny, I try to fight that "anima" sensation - that an object has some sort of "awareness" of a situation, but I'm almost to the point where I'm willing to believe there's some sort of pseudo-elaborate beyond human-perception math thing going on that causes this.[/b][/quote]You should read C.G. Jung. Oh wait, you already have. Never mind. - Jeff

jbr, my jinx spell is back! I spoke way too soon... I bought a demo of a cordless phone/answering machine on Thursday. It was "open box" and means that I need to send it in to the manufacturer for repairs. The display on the phone is dead... you have to program about 80% of the phone functions from it. The phone is being replaced, but it has to be mailed from Texas to California... Friday, my new computer hardware showed up, and I juggled old motherboards around, on Saturday, to put a P4 into the recording PC. The other PCs came up fine. But, the new P4 board took a dump on a reboot while installing XP... I mean it won't POST, beep or show any signs of life. So, the distributor is special ordering a replacement -- 2 or 3 days. I have an old answering machine in place, for now (some 10 years old and still cranking). And, I'm SOL on the recorder without the parts. Got a session coming up on Saturday. Man, I hate those time crunches! I wanted a week to shake out the goblins...

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

I am doubly-cursed. Like gtrmac, I am a technician (when I'm employed, that is) and I have that same ability to fix things just by walking into a room. On the other hand, my laptop, knowing this, AND knowing that I am just now ready to move into a new phase of audio recording that depends ALMOST ENTIRELY on it, becomes completely unreliable, disposing of ALL of my Deck audio files, Netscape, Appleworks, Mac OSROM, a 75 meg folder of JPEGS I'd been retouching in Photoshop, the DVD player, and a few other programs in one fell, unprovoked, swoop...two weeks before the warranty is to expire. THIS is the stuff that leads to alcoholism, my friends.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]It's funny, I try to fight that "anima" sensation - that an object has some sort of "awareness" of a situation, but I'm almost to the point where I'm willing to believe there's some sort of pseudo-elaborate beyond human-perception math thing going on that causes this.[/b][/quote]You should read C.G. Jung. Oh wait, you already have. Never mind. - Jeff[/b][/quote]How synchronistic, I already indeed have..... But I'm not suggesting synchronicity, but that there is a mathematical coefficient that describes the interactions of extreme numbers of humans in a manner that appears as chaos to us - just as we can't calculate what a waterfall will look like exactly, but *theoretically* we could if we had the capacity to model the coordinates of every molecule found in the river. We can still recognize it as a "waterfall", despite no two waterfalls being identical - just as no two crowds of people at a concert will be identical, but their behavior will fall into a statistical mean of behavior. Provided something doesn't tweak the system in some non-linear way, a social equivalent of the butterfly effect. A crowd goes berserk, people are trampeled, no one knows why - but maybe it's because of some domino-like chain of events that can't be fathomed by just looking at the crowd: a guy spills his beer, another guy walks through it, later he slips because of it being on his shoe, falls into another guy who is standing next to his GF, and because he knocks her down decides to punch the guy who fell into him - but misses and hits another guy, etc... Just because the first person spilled his beer. Or maybe *didn't* spill his beer. My question is - what happens in this dynamic when you start *intentionally* doing random things, introducing non-linear behavior in a closed (social) system like that; it there a mathematical property that tends to make events surrounding you have a more negative bias? I've always wondered if magic incantations were themselves an exercise in tweaking strange attractors; just the act of doing some ridiculous and non-linear as a magic ritual, did that at some time in the past influence social systems in a way that did in fact have an impact? A second party witnessing a totem, therefore being influenced by it, then alters their interaction with a third party - that comes back around to the first that instituted the totem? Perhaps in more primitive times, with more primitive interaction possibilities and language nuance, "magic" worked in the sense that it influenced behaviors in a closed system in a predictable manner? Oh well. I know, I think too much.

I encountered the tape deck from hell the other day though. An eight track cassette recorder portastudio type thing that my friend asked me to try and fix because he wanted to transfer an old tape into his computer to rework it. Took it apart and poked around a while, didn't see any obvious problems so I put it back together and put a blank tape in. It played fine so I figured there was a loose connector or something. I connect it to my computer and I put his tape in and press play...nothing...then the tape starts playing at double speed but like someone is turning the varispeed control all the way up and down, maximum wow. Ok turn it off and take out the tape which luckily seems unharmed. Take it apart and get out the soldering gun, looking for a cold solder joints, I end up resoldering everything I can find. Have the whole thing apart and back together about an hour later. Put in the blank tape, it plays fine. Set up the computer and put in his tape, press play....YIKES!! Speed is all over the place. Oh I forgot to mention that his tape plays fine in a regular cassette player except that since it's 8 channels you hear some tracks backwards and stuff. Take it apart again....put it back together again. Put in the test tape, now the test tape doesn't play at all. Calmly put the machine back into the shopping bag that he dropped it off in and try to resist the urge to give it the ball peen hammer endurance test. End of story. :mad:

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: My question is - what happens in this dynamic when you start *intentionally* doing random things, introducing non-linear behavior in a closed (social) system like that; it there a mathematical property that tends to make events surrounding you have a more negative bias? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I think "intentionally doing random things" is an oxymoron. Once intended on doing something, it is mentally perceived as linear, and therefore not random. Doing something unpredictable though, seems somehow different than an random act. Random acts are non-linear and spontaneous. I think one can intentionally do unpredictable things though. Of course, intentionally doing random things subconciously is different altogether. A thought: If your subconscious tells you to intentionally to do something random, it appears as spontanious to your conscious mind. A think a negative bias is born from worrying about the outcome of ones intention and straying from ones intuitive path. Therefore forcing that event to happen before it is universally supposed to. I am quite guilty of this, but work daily on relaxing and letting go. Was I supposed to start this seemingly spontaneous post in order to arrive at this topic of discussion? It was not my intention. Jim

YES! Okease send me a free 2-issue trial subscription to BICYCLING magainze orgna foo. Rice flour Asprey gennaio everytime you dust velcro MDR24/96 installer Skyscan Water Lillies Avelox debit tend prion riluzole glutamate. ..(89>>9487>! Foam.

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]YES! Okease send me a free 2-issue trial subscription to BICYCLING magainze orgna foo. Rice flour Asprey gennaio everytime you dust velcro MDR24/96 installer Skyscan Water Lillies Avelox debit tend prion riluzole glutamate. ..(89>>9487>! Foam.[/b][/quote]"The pointy kitty took the keys"

Archived