Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Off Axis Response of Large vs Small Diaphragm Mics

I read in a post recently that usigng a pair of large diaphragm condensers in a stereo pair (say as drum overheads) can be a bad idea because of the off axis response and coloration they exhibit vs. small diaphragm condensers. I have a pair of AT-4033s that I use for drum overheads and plan to use them for recording a small student choir (close spaced X-Y pattern). I don't believe I have ever heard of this issue. Does anyone care to comment or have any ideas re: Recording the choir? I don't have a pair of omni mics and would like to make due w/ the 4033s if possible.

Paul M. Brown

The Music Collective

www.TheMusicCollective.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The big thing to take into consideration is the coverage are of the microphone diaphram. Smaller diaphrams have a more narrow width of coverage than a large diaphram. If you use diaphrams that pick up only 30 degrees off center, then you only get 60 degrees of pickup. But, it goes a little farther... you will need to pull your *x/y-pair* back far enough away from the source (in your case, choir) to get the members at the farthest ends into the pickup area of the microphone set. Larger diaphrams will be more likely for you to get a closer (and more intimate) placement to the source... and less room sound.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

[quote]Originally posted by AudioMaverick: [QB]The big thing to take into consideration is the coverage are of the microphone diaphram. Smaller diaphrams have a more narrow width of coverage than a large diaphram. QB][/quote]This is not true. The pickup pattern and off axis-response of a microphone are dictated by the capsule design, not by the size of the diaphragm. In fact, in a theoretical model where all other factors were equal, a larger diaphragm would exhibit a slightly more directional pickup pattern. This is irrelevant in real life where there are many other factors inside the capsule which have a greater influence. The bottom line is to match mics to the specific application. I've had good results using the AT-4033 (and many other similar mid-priced large diaphragm vocal mics) as a distant and overhead mic on many instruments. Keep in mind that it is cardiod and it has a noticable proximity effect. This means that it is much more sensitive to positioning than a small diaphragm omni. In a less than ideal room this can be a problem.

Archived