Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Flying with instruments

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't take any guitar, especially an acoustic, on a plane in a gig bag. This is a job for: [b][i]HARDSHELLLL CASE MA-AAAAANNNN!!!![/i][/b] Aside to that...I haven't flown with a guitar for a few years...but I believe there's a special check in at some airlines for stuff like that.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

IF they'll let you go with carry on, make sure to loosen the strings. If not, as the Tedster says. HARD CASE! & still loosen everything up & tie the case up or secure it in some way that it won't come undone. If you can afford one, get a flight case for it. Just on a side note. When you carry your guitar in a hard case, make sure to carry it with the lid toward your leg. Clasps have been know to fail & the case open up & drop the guitar on the ground. If it has to open against your leg, you'll feel it before it opens enough to let the guitar fall out.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Hardshell case for sure... and insure the crud out of it. Maybe even box the case... It's been years since I flew with an acoustic. BTW, a Fender Strat (or Tele) in the normal black plastic case has never failed to fit in an overhead bin the half dozen times or so that I've flown with my '62 Strat. No WAY I was going to check that as baggage... Of course, that was all pre - 9/11, so I don't know what the current regs are. I'd strongly suggest you call the airline beforehand to inquire. [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Well.... I'm actually "on-the-road" now, so let me chip in.. 1. A few of the mmajor airlines are not taking guitars as carry on. The airlines for the longest while, whave wanted to limit carry on baggage. 9/11 provided a legitimate reason. I'd say it's 40% security, 40% bullshit and 20% for the ability to get passengers settled faster = less time for clearance for taxi / liftoff.... 2. I advise my guys to get the fender etc hard cases, and then throw that in a SKB case with foam on the inside, or, put the guitar in a regular gig bag, then throw it in a Anvil type case - with strategic pieces of foam around the padded case (complete cutouts are nice). or, we also have a "double guitar" case on wheels (akin to the double keyboard cases) where the axe is placed in the case skinny side up. Of course, everything is detuned to prevent warpage :eek: ... I also take to airline supoervisors days in advance to get weight exceptions where applicable... NYC Drew

I'm also on the road. Nashville to Charlotte to Washington (Dulles) to London to Kuwait. Our guitar players and bass player all brought their instruments in gigbags as carry on. We didn't have enough government forms to accomodate all the gear as check-in, and given the % chance all would arrive in Kuwait in the first place, carry-on was the only option. On the smaller planes (737's, if I remember correctly) the instruments fit into the overhead compartments. On the 777's, no guitar but a Baby Taylor or Steinberger will fit overhead. We ended up with the bass and flying V in the business section coat closet, and on the second 777, we were in the back row. The Kuwait Air 777 had room to slip the gig bags behind the seats of that row. No one bothered with us carrying them on. I would not recommend transporting an acoustic this way. It could get nasty...

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

First off, I'd get a backpacker. I've flown electrics a bunch but only an Ovation in the standard case as an acoustic. They managed to warp the case for me. I'd kinda be afraid to fly most acoustics because I've watched the guys unload planes out the window and the only way things can be safe is in a flight case. The peril for electrics is the fact that it gets very cold in the cargo bay (always wondered about checked animals) and the temperature changes make your pickups go microphonic. For what it's worth, altho most people recommend loosening strings, I've never done it and never had a problem. I expect it would be much more important for acoustics than electrics tho.

Archived