Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Basic MIDI question - DOH!

Here I am again with a Homer Simpson question: here's my midi chain: keyboard out > drum module in > drum module thru > computer in > computer out (with thru enabled) to keyboard in. I'm playing the keyboard to control the drum machine. I can record on the computer fine, but can't play back the drum parts. It's because the out from the computer is terminated back into the keyboard. I need to go into the drum machine again, but the keyboard out is going there. Is there a merger or some way I can do this? Seems like MIDI guys would run into this problem all the time.... thanks.! :D
The thoughts expressed in this post are the opinions of SF audio and MAY be used or misquoted anywhere you want, either in print,on the internet, or on the bathroom walls....

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SF, > I can record on the computer fine, but can't play back the drum parts. < This is easy to fix: Have the keyboard's output go directly to the computer's input, and the computer's output to both the drum machine and the keyboard via either device's MIDI Thru. That is, computer to drum machine to keyboard, or computer to keyboard to drum machine. The key is that this way you can route the computer's output to either the keyboard or to the drum machine based on which channel you send to. Drums are always on channel 10, and everything else goes to any other channel. You'll have to tell your keyboard to ignore what's coming in on channel 10, but most keyboards can be set to selectively enable / disable individual channels. --Ethan

thanks Ethan. I new was it too easy for me to figure out!!
The thoughts expressed in this post are the opinions of SF audio and MAY be used or misquoted anywhere you want, either in print,on the internet, or on the bathroom walls....

Archived