Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital in Analog effects

i'm working on my first effect, and it's also my first analog project. my whole background is based on digital stuff, so this is kinda wierd for me. in my pedal, i plug the analog signal into the clock pulse of a JK flip flop. the way it's supposed to work is to use the original signal to out put '0' then '1' once a cycle. thing is, i'm not sure how the clock pulse will work when given an analog, instead of a digital, signal. anyone got ideas?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You might have a problem with this if the rising edge of your analog signal isn't quick enough (as with a Sine or upward-rising Saw wave) to trigger the flip-flop. Or, just as bad, it might cause multiple triggers while slowly rising, which would give a very glitchy output. You might be better off running the analog signal into a comparator with hysteresis, then using the output of the comparator to trigger the flip-flop. Mind if I ask what you're designing? I can think of several reasons why you might want to convert an audio signal into a square wave ...

Archived