Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sony MDR-7506 Headphones

These are on sale for $99.00. Anyone know about these? I need a couple of pairs of good phones for drummers and overdub stuff. I'm thinking of staying with the cheapo cans for general use since so many people tend to be so destructive. Any ideas? medford :confused:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love `em. I've used them for ten years, and I'm not tired of them yet. Nice detailed sound, and you can be comfortable in them for hours. Go for it! Actually $99 is a pretty typical street price for them. It's not a fire sale, but it's not unreasonable, either. Peace all, Steve

><>

Steve

They're good cans - loud, comfortable to wear, pretty darn good sounding and not unreasonably expensive. I use these and the Fostex T20's, which I somewhat prefer over the Sonys, but I'm probably in the minority here. [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

I actually find the Sony MDRs to be...too comfortable...that is, they sit very loosly on your head, and over time they get even worse...kinda' flooping around. So, it might not be a good choice for a drummer, since drummers move a bit...dynamically... :D I also find them too pronouced in the Mid-Highs...they give me a headache after about an hour. Just picked up a pair of the new Fostex T-50 RP...they are the newest edition to their RP line (T-20 RP and t-40 RP). I bought them on recommendation and I'm still waiting for them...so I don't know how they really sound, but if they are as good as the other two RP models I'm sure I'll be happy. They list for $200...got them for $100 from Musicians Friend. If you want a pair of real "tight fitting" and good sounding headphones...check out the classics from Koss - Pro4AA ($90)...though they can get a bit heavy on your head after a while...

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Well I hate to steer you toward something more expensive but if you want a GREAT set of phones for drummers, go to http://www.gk-music.com and get yerself a pair of Superphones or Ultraphones. These have the same drivers as the Sony 7506, but the muffs themselves are like those used by tarmac workers at airports - the Superphones block 20dB of ambient sound and the Ultraphones block 29dB! I have a pair of Ultraphones and drummers are absolutely nuts about them (they were invented by a drummer) - they can finally hear the tracks louder than their own playing, and the phones stay on their heads. I also use them for monitoring at live remote recording sessions, and of course during tracking of electric guitar overdubs so I can hear the mix just great over a cranked up amp. They're really comfortable too. And yeah, they're expensive - I think $179 for the Superphones and $220 for the Ultraphones - but IMO it's well worth having a pair. Something to consider anyway, if you have the dough. --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by MojoHaiku: [b]Anyone know how the 7509's compare sonically to the 7506's?[/b][/quote]Well...you'll be able to "hear" the guy at the sales counter saying... "...ahhh...they're $25 more than the 7506s..." :D

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

My 7506's started deteriorating physically after 7+ years of abuse (although they still sound good), so I went out for some new headphones last week. I listened to bunches, found several similarly rated models inferior, and bought another pair of 7506's, which I'm enjoying a lot. They're bright but not (to my battered ears) excessively so, and they have very reasonable bottom end for relatively modestly-priced headphones. -Chrono

[quote]Originally posted by MojoHaiku: [b]Anyone know how the 7509's compare sonically to the 7506's?[/b][/quote]ISOLATION - The main thing where the 7509 excel is monitoring in a noisey environ - e.g., live sound - I got mine after I did a show with my 7506s and the other enginner had his 7509s - I tried them and I could actually hear the board mix over the band - I bought a pair the next day. I also think they sound a bit better.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Archived