Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar or Bass

What should I get, a guitar or a bass? :confused: I like both of them but I think a guitar would be cheaper. My friend wants to start a band and he plays guitar and drums but not bass, so what should I do. I like the sound of the bass, but I also like the versatility of the guitar. I need help!!!!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm with DC Jim. Get yourself a bass. Then you can hang out on Tom's forum with some cool folks, too... :D ... No, seriously...if you want to gig...and become proficient at bass, you'll never be out of work. Go bass...and this, coming from a guitar player (of sorts). Get yourself a bass. You won't regret it!!!
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]You should buy the one that you WANT TO PLAY. And you shouldn't do anything until you know the difference.[/b][/quote]i kinda disagree. I know what you are saying Dan, but after spending the last 15 years as a guitar player i really wish i'd put my initial energy into becoming a really great bass player. Everything would have come easier, i'm sure of it. Bass players who understand their importance and work at being the best players around are ALWAYS in demand and get way more oppurtunities at playing with great acts and making decent bucks. It's all music in the end and no one is going to stop you from learning guitar too, but as far as having an understanding of music and creating a place for yourself in the industry, Bass is a very smart move and a good place to start. I have heard several Bass players who just smoke most guitarist on the 6 string actually, (and they have good time).

either or seems so limiting - but I think if you are starting out, it helps to have some passion to drive you forward - music can be as challenging as it is fun and some days, you'll just think it ain't gonna happen - so picking what you prefer or have a passion for won't hurt.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Russell, get the bass and borrow your friend's guitar to add some additional guitar parts to your recordings. That way you can try out both instruments. If you find that you like guitar a whole lot better, sell the bass and get yourself a guitar and find a bass player for the band. But if you like bass OK, keep up a bit on guitar and if you get really good at bass, it's true you'll always be in demand. "Really good" on guitar includes playing lots of fancy notes really fast. "Really good" on bass doesn't have to include that, but it does have to include playing well chosen notes with a good groove. Which comes more easily to you?

One more point. Good bass players, like good drummers, run the show. If you control the bottom end and the rythm, you are in essence leading the band. I think a lot of kids pick the guitar because they think it is more important of an instrument than the bass and this is not true. No twiddly widdly little riffs and bends are gonna make me wanna move like a strong bass line in a rythm section will. The bass is very powerful instrument. What do you call the people that hang out with bass players? Chicks!

i would recommend the bass, but i agree with stevepow.. either/or is limiting. id get the bass but fool around on the guitar whenever you get the chance. much of my bass style is bassed on my experiances playing guitar.. it just sound cooler on bass. i also like the fact that when i play, things fall off the wall. ;) :D dont forget some theory to.. i skiped it my first years and im having to learn it now.. it really helps with improv jamming.

It sounds like you are starting out, so the idea of doing both might be tough to start. Which ever you choose, don't wait too long to tinker on the other. Learn your theory well whatever you pick. It's important. I'm in sympathy with the people who mention that bass will keep you in demand, puts you in both the rhythm and melody role, and is lots of fun. Unless you sing, you won't be viewed by the public as the driving force in the band (usually). But in fact you become that (some of this has to do with personality, but bass puts you in a position to lead the band). And you can hang with us on the Bass Forum even if you do pick that [i]other[/i] instrument. :D Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

One of the reasons that good bassists (like good drummers) are always in demand is that bass requires a mindset that not everyone possesses. Guitar is a much more versatile instrument. With a guitar, you can sing along at parties. You can take it on a camping trip and hold court at the campfire. In a band, the guitarist gets a generous share of the spotlight. Plus, a guitar is a great songwriting tool. By itself, the bass means nothing. How many songs have you heard on the radio that were played just by a singer and a bassist? The bass is an ensemble instrument. Yes, it has a very powerful influence on the sound of the ensemble, but without the ensemble, the bass lacks much musical value. To be a good bassist, you have to embrace this "ensemble" role. You have to realize that you are only as good as you make the band sound. This often means AVOIDING self-aggrandizement. Bass is a Zen-like instrument. The bassist accomplishes more by playing less. He or she gains acclaim by stepping away from the spotlight. Many people can't fathom the inverse proportionality of tasteful bass playing. So again, I think that the aspiring player needs to know something about themselves before starting down the bass path. If that big, deep sound calls to you, and if you understand the idea of the bassist's support role, then yes, by all means, pick up a bass an have the time of your life. If you crave the spotlight, however, you're a guitarist all the way.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

All bass players are just wannabe guitar players anyway, so just save yourself some time and buy a guitar :D . Next, be sure to learn "Stairway to Heaven" and play it as often and for as many people as possible. Finally, learn how to hurl whisky bottles at your loved ones and band mates and you'll be on your way...

Paul McCartney was originally a guitar player. The Fab Five had three guit fiddle players. When Sutcliffe quit, Macca picked up the bass because he liked the way that it colored the song, and defined the chord changes. He's actually a fine and capable guitar player (not to mention keys and drums), but, of course, he's best known as a bass player.

[quote]Originally posted by russell6388: [b]WOW!! Thanks for all the help. I've made up my mind(with alot of help from ya'll)and I am going to get a bass as soon as I have the money. Thanks again.[/b][/quote]Welcome aboard !! Search our board and you'll find lots of suggestions on equipment for beginners. Many of the experienced guys on these boards leave their email available (look for the envelope at the top) in case you want to talk "off-line" - certainly feel free with me. Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

[quote]Originally posted by Dillweed: [b] Next, be sure to learn "Stairway to Heaven" and play it as often and for as many people as possible...[/b][/quote]be sure to practise it at your local guitar store, really loud, many times. procede to use another guitar and try again and again until the retail staff kills you. opps, i mean kicks you out... ;)

Ok I'll remember that. What do ya'll know/think about Rogue basses? I talked to this guy on [url=http://www.musiciansfriend.com]www.musiciansfriend.com[/url] and he said that they are good beginners basses, are they? The main thing is price, it was $99.99(on sale from $199.99). I could have it as soon as 5 weeks, as long as my grades are B's or higher, and that kinda worries me, but oh well. If they are 80's or better she will get me whatever I need, as long as it is within a reasonable price range. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. I have to get good grades. Well later.

[quote]Originally posted by russell6388: [b]I have to get good grades. Well later.[/b][/quote]Doin' alright, gettin' good grades The future's so bright... I've gotta wear shades... Anyone remember that song? Who was that by?

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b] [quote]Originally posted by russell6388: [b]I have to get good grades. Well later.[/b][/quote]Doin' alright, gettin' good grades The future's so bright... I've gotta wear shades... Anyone remember that song? Who was that by?[/b][/quote]Timbuck 3. Apparently they recorded their first album on 2 track DAT machines.

[quote]Originally posted by russell6388: [b]Ok I'll remember that. What do ya'll know/think about Rogue basses?[/b][/quote]I would recommend a Fender "Made in Mexico" Jazz Bass or Precision Bass (less expensive than the American models, but good basses, nonetheless). I have not heard of the Rogues. Good strings and a professional setup (about forty bucks) will be well worth the investment.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Ok then, what do ya'll think about Jackson basses? At a local pawn shop they had some really good basses that appeared to be in excellent shape. They were big names too, like Ibenez(sp?). If I get good grades I will get a bass, amp, and whatever else I need, and I'll get an edumacation for about a month. :D

Ok then, what do ya'll think about Jackson basses? At a local pawn shop they had some really good basses that appeared to be in excellent shape. They were big names too, like Ibenez(sp?). If I get good grades I will get a bass, amp, and whatever else I need, and I'll get an edumacation for about a month. :D

Archived