Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sonarus files

I have recently started using Sonar thinking that I can drop Acid and get a unified midi/loop/tracking solution (I use Nuendo to mix). I have been impressed so far, but one thing seems as if it could be a deal breaker! When I drag files in or record files, they get named in some Sonarese language, example: I drag in a filed named "bad pop music.wav" and Sonar takes a few moments (longer than it should) and then after it draws the wave I can play it, no problem...BUT when I look in the sonar audio folder to manage my wav files I notice the files are getting named something like CWarfarfwoof12.wav , what the hell is that! I can't find a way as of yet to keep file names I can easily recognize, this must be an oversight on my part, but I have looked through the manual and checked any other sources I can find...could this be true? do i really have to listen to files to figure out what they are? Any help would be appreciated. David

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually this does turn out to be a "big deal" (hence my post) When working in a pro environment files are transferred between computers, programs, studios and so on. Being able to keep one identifiable name is of utmost importance, not to mention not wanting to lose half my hard drive space to a program making redundant backups that are difficult to manage. Thank for your responce though, at least now I know that this is not something I cannot fix through a menu selection. I hope in the future Cakewalk will work on making this more of a professional product...it does show great potential. David

"I know that this is not something I cannot fix through a menu selection." Speaking of redundant!!! What I meant to say was...I know that this is not something I can fix through a menu selection.

I agree that there is room to improve the file management with Sonar. Hopefully they will address this with version 2.0. In the meantime you can always do an export audio to save tracks with the file name of your choice. I think that Vegas has the easiest/most logical file management system of any audio recording program to date.

[quote]Originally posted by David B: [b]Being able to keep one identifiable name is of utmost importance, not to mention not wanting to lose half my hard drive space to a program making redundant backups that are difficult to manage. David[/b][/quote]I agree with you 100% on the naming, hopefully that will be addressed soon... but I definitely like the redundancy in this case. Once the ACID loops are used in a project I like the fact that it is permanently added to the project directory, lest I should decide to remove the loop library from my computer, or elect to drag directly from the CDROM (laptop composing scenario) into the project. It makes the project more portable and eases the backup process. I would like to see similar flexibility for plug-in (DXi) synths/samplers. -david abraham

"In the meantime you can always do an export audio to save tracks with the file name of your choice" So that brings up another question (thank you all for responding) Can I render all my tracks at once from Sonar as seperate wav files? This is another quick must have from acid. This make going from my creation program to my post program or studio much faster and painless. David

[quote]Originally posted by David B: [b]"In the meantime you can always do an export audio to save tracks with the file name of your choice" So that brings up another question (thank you all for responding) Can I render all my tracks at once from Sonar as seperate wav files? This is another quick must have from acid. This make going from my creation program to my post program or studio much faster and painless. David[/b][/quote]I think you will run into a problem with that also because if you save the Sonar tune as an all in one "Bundle", sonar puts all the audio files into one long wave file to save space. Good luck accessing that thing.

[quote]Originally posted by David B: [b]So that brings up another question (thank you all for responding) Can I render all my tracks at once from Sonar as seperate wav files? This is another quick must have from acid. This make going from my creation program to my post program or studio much faster and painless. David[/b][/quote]You can do this via Virtual Mains. If you want to export say 16 tracks at a time set up 16 virtual mains in options audio (requires a restart), then route each track to different Virutal Main. When you go to export audio make sure "Each source to separate submix" is checked. -david abraham

The file naming problem is the biggest downside to an otherwise excellent program. :mad: THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED [b][i]NOW![/b][/i] The BUN files are great for putting everything into one "place" for backups and long term storage, but pros do need to grab single files on a fairly regular basis, and there's NO way to tell what you're grabbing from a file folder.. you have to open the program and export from the song. [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Thanks for the help on this one, that export multiple files technique will be good to have. lets hope Cakewalk gets the file handling right on the next release...otherwise this could be a very powerfull host based solution. David Barber

Thanks for the help on this one, that export multiple files technique will be good to have. lets hope Cakewalk gets the file handling right on the next release...otherwise this could be a very powerfull host based solution. David Barber

Archived