Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A little Sonar help, please...

'Feeling a bit ignorant here...I've been working on a project in Sonar @ 24/96 and when I export the mix to a 16 bit wave file on my desktop, it is saved as a 16 bit file @ 96 khz. Sounds great. Now, when I try to burn to a cd, it sounds noisy like a bad cassette, even in the preview. I assume it's in the conversion to 44.1k somewhere, but how do I do the conversion, or does the cd burner software (Roxio) do it? I don't see any conversion options in Sonar for after-the-fact sample rate conversion. Thanks in advance!

-Steve

-----------------------------------

Sometimes ya gotta find out what it ain't, to find out what it is...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Alndln@hotmail.com: [b]You can't burn CD's in 96hz.The CD spec is 16/44.1hz.You'll have to downsample as well.[/b][/quote]Thanks for the reply...yes, I'm aware of the cd spec. Now, do I do the conversion in Sonar, or does the Roxio software do it automatically? I don't see anywhere in Sonar to downsample.

-Steve

The sampling rate and bit depth are saved with the project file, and anything done in that project will have the specified sampling rate. I use Wavelab to convert among bit depth, sample rate, format, etc. You really need more of a digital audio editor than multitrack recorder to do those kinds of conversions. Not sure if the Roxio does conversions, but I would tend to doubt it.

Thanks Craig...I know it sounded like an elementary question but it didn't occur to me that I was trying to burn a cd @ 96 khz until I looked at the file properties. I guess this explains the noise. I'll check out Wavelab.

-Steve

Archived