Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I am surrounded by Morons

I am a A/V engineer for contract and was recently hired by a school district to setup a small audio studio and a small broadcast center. Did that in the first 4 weeks and because it was a 12 week contract, I was designated to be a run-around techie. Do you have any idea how many absolute idiots work in a school building? They are incredibly retarded. They can't find one simple s-vid cable (25') so they go out and buy 3 10' and then hand them to me cause "they didn't work." Then I go next door because some guy's mouse doesn't work. He was clicking the middle button instead of the left one. How about tv's? can't figure out to go from a vcr to a tv. Or better yet, unplug something from a cpu and then can't put the green ps/2 back into the green ps/2 port. Retards!!! I have to teach these people to use the simple systems i have installed and they are still morons. I have 3 students who helped me out and could speak "idiotese" I just can't believe that these are the people who are teaching all the young people. Some day my kids will be of age to go to school and they sure as hell arn't going to be "taught" by someone who can't plug in a freaking vcr. I am making enough off this job to put the down payment on the 20 acres I bought for our new home and studio. God help me get through the next few weeks. Note to everyone, don't ever work on timed contract. Only do per task. Sigh... What are your guy's stories of the lame and insane!??! PDesign

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And what's sad and scary about that is that it's happening in an EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION. Serving only to add substance to the notion that strictly data is being taught in our schools, and no cognitive thinking, no troubleshooting, no awareness. No challenges.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

heh heh. I deal with 500+ employees every day who wonder why their PC's occasionally lock up (Windows), install those stupid AOL CD's on computers that don't even have a modem, complain because their computer boots up slow, get jealous because someone else got a new printer, brings in downloaded screensavers from home yet cannot understand how they got a virus, listen to them whine about how much they need a color printer or Internet access. I could go on and on and on. At least you get to leave when you are done. When I need a break I go to the capital and deal with Government bureaucracy as it pertains to not for profit healthcare organizations and there data systems. I'll tell you, there is a LOT of bureaucracy. Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I sympathize, but on the other side of the coin, I have some words from an instructor of mine: "If it were easy, and everybody could do it, we wouldn't have a gig." (Speaking about recording engineering.) -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

Whew...for a minute I thought you were talking about us (trips over shoelace and falls face first into the boss' wife's chest). (Robin Leach voice): LIFESTYLES OF THE LAME AND INANE!!! Of course, bear in mind that everyone has their own area of expertise. Once you get comfortable with that, then you will realize that, indeed, these people [i]are[/i] idiots. However...to my plumber, should I attempt to help him, he would no doubt immediately brand me a moron. Whereupon, should he come to my office and help me at weather forecasting, it would confirm his suspicions that I am indeed a moron. No. Actually not, but you know what I'm trying to say. Maybe you don't. Maybe I'll just forget it.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

In my day job I handle Pro Audio for a company that Designs/Sells/Installs all kinds of professional systems for TV, audio, etc. Nevermind teachers, I can tell you some stories about "respected professionals" camera men, master control, editors, etc that don't have a clue. Then there's the guys that call our technicians and ask them to come down and remove their VTR's from the rack cause they "aren't technicians"!!!!!!! I can excuse the average joe from not knowing something that, to me, is like breathing but the people running, tv stations, radio stations, recording studios...? Furthermore, most of these people are hard to talk to cause you can't get past their egos, yet they don't have the first clue how to do their jobs, troubleshoot simple problems and so on.....yikes! Scott

Hey Pro... I'll ride the fence on this one. Background - wife worked as secretary to Director of Technology in a school district for a year. Son currently works as A/V guy in same district, and had spent summers installing computers. First, I agree this is a shame. And as bad as it is in corporations, it's worse in schools. Why? [list] [*]Civil Service. These people (especially the secretaries, but the technicians as well) took a test, got through probation, and can't be let go anymore. While some of them adapt to computers, some still want to type on manual typewriters (I've seen these people firsthand - they do still exist). [*]School budgets (1) - there aren't enough secretaries or temps to allow people the time to get their work done. Especially in the school main offices, they need more staff just to get their work done, much less train, or try something new. My wife graduated 3.91 from Boston College, but doesn't want to try anything new at work because of the workload and number of distractions [*]School budgets (2) - the civil service techs are being paid 66% of what the corporate techs get. There is a trade off in benefits, but you have to wonder why they wouldn't go after some cash, especially when they are young. The "pickings have been slim" in my wife's district. And, the budget doesn't allow for enough techs, so they do everything they can to stay away from their customers at times. The guys in my wife's district are OK, I guess, but the office people love it when my son walks in. While waiting for a re-boot, he unjams a printer, shows somebody how to adjust their monitor, and does everything but make coffee. [/list] At the heart of this, the budgets and weight of other problems (don't get me started with stories about some of the teachers) deflect the importance of technology from the people that can do something about it. As someone said, "the fish stinks from the head down". Just remember that next time you think about voting down your school budget.... Don't worry about the kids. They don't have any of the barriers that the administration does. They learn it (as long as the machines are up). Just like my nephew, who at two and a half isn't potty trained, but can work the VCR. Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

[quote]Do you have any idea how many absolute idiots work in a school building? They are incredibly retarded. Retards!!! PDesign[/QB][/quote]I'm sure you're just trying to make a point but here's one suggestion: Some of the regular posters on this board have mentally retarded children. Maybe choose a better word to describe people that are not as smart as you.

[quote]Originally posted by [url=http://www.prometheus-design.com:]www.prometheus-design.com:[/url] [b]Do you have any idea how many absolute idiots work in a school building?[/b][/quote]Considerably less than the number of absolute idiots whose children attend school. [quote][b]I just can't believe that these are the people who are teaching all the young people. Some day my kids will be of age to go to school and they sure as hell arn't going to be "taught" by someone who can't plug in a freaking vcr.[/b][/quote]Spend a week in a classroom trying to maintain minimal discipline [i]and[/i] teach a subject and you'll realize that the freaking vcr is the least of your concerns. [quote][b]What are your guy's stories of the lame and insane!??![/b][/quote]Writing songs in a world where .01% of the population actually listens to music. (I may have left out a zero in that calculation.) later, Mike

PDesign, there are too many training/tech support horror stories to tell. How about the one at a retail store with custom point of sale software on DOS boxes. At one store the machine stopped working because an employee decided to install Windows 3.1, and the install stopped halfway through because the hard disk ran out of room.

Archived