Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the best wireless lav for live sound

My question is what wireless lav system is best applicable in live sound enviroments. Specifically, for use by my Pastor in Live Sound Re-Production and simultaneous Television production. The former is most important. Hopefully, if you could, please share the optimum generic gain, EQ (low,mid,and high) and fader settings to minumize feedback and maximize a strong signal for the congregation to hear the words of the Pastor. I understand there may be more specifics necessary to answer this, but any direction is better than spending money on some cheap mic system that leads to a vicious cycle of inadequate sound and a Man of God who demands quality.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are many factors involved here. The quality of the sound system and acoustics of the church can determine whether you should purchase an omni, cardioid, or super-cardioid microphone. How important is the appearance of the mic? Shure has made the 83, 84, and 85 capsules in wired and wireless setups. They are omni, super-card, and cardioid, respectively. The directional capsules will reject more ambient sound that can create feedback, but if your pastor turns away from the mic placement, his voice can disappear almost entirely. The cardioid capsule (85) would probably be the best solution. As to EQ, etc., that will completely depend on the system and acoustics. No one can predict what frequencies will need taming or enhancement prior to using the mic in the space. There are simply too many variables.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Sorry - that was a quick answer as to what I've used most successfully in the past. [quote]Do you mean that Shure wireless lavaliers can be special ordered with this custom Sennheiser element configuration from the manufacturer, or is this something that must be rigged after the fact? Are you referring the element from a Sennheiser Shotgun mic? And just how is this switch to different elements achieved. Is this something not overly complicated to do?[/quote]What I am referring to is using a Sennheiser lavalier with a Shure wireless body pack (sorry, I don't know the model #s off hand...) I don't think they can be ordered from Shure this way - I think you would buy them seperately. The "switch" is acheived by plugging in the mic to the body pack. The reason is that, comparitively, the Sennheiser mic works better than the Shure, although the Shure would be fine too, if you needed to save a few $$. Of course, the real short answer to your question about the best lav mic for live audio is "none", but I'm guessing that that's not the answer you are after. :D Mainly, the above post is correct - there are way too many variables to give much in the way of specific advice here. Just know that lav mics are very sensitive, hence very feedback-prone. The best thing you can do is to buy the very best you can afford, then spend some time ringing out the system with it to find the problem areas, THEN spend some time with the pastor to tackle any problems arising from when his voice is in the mix. Also, go with a directional mic & pay close attention to placement, i.e. point it at his face as much as possible & try to allow for his head turning away, which it will. If you have a chance, talk to some pro TV audio guys about it - they use lavs a lot.

Here are some pretty cool wireless lavatories. http://www.allnetdevices.com/wired/news/2000/12/22/japanese_firm.html http://www.allnetdevices.com/wireless/news/2000/12/01/wireless_isp.html
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Archived