Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do morons have better chances to become successful?

First off I don't envy anybody, but I just don't get it. I have worked with very talented musicians, great singers, drummers and extremely scillful guitarists and 99.9% of them didn't 'make it'. A couple of years ago I worked with a (nice) guy and he just couldn't tune his f****ng guitar! He tried a whole afternoon to play a very simple lick and in the end some other guy did it for him. And guess what? he and his band have a major hit and a golden record! :D We have kind of 'Grammy' awards called 'Edisons' and a band I worked with.......... don't mind my ranting anyway, I just don't get it :D
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [b]I think so...just look at all the successful morons on this BBs ;) :D [/b][/quote](Homer voice): I'll have you know I do [i]not[/i] consider myself successful.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [b]I think so...just look at all the successful morons on this BBs ;) :D [/b][/quote]Drat. Drat. Drat. You beat me to it. Oh well. I'll say it this way. I'm not sure, but there are plenty here to ask. Robert
This post edited for speling.

It hasn't worked for me! :eek: I'll relate a funny and perhaps tragic anecdote though. About 35 years ago I met a fellow that had seen me play who asked me to join a band that he was forming. He described his plan to have the members dress up as monsters and wear theatrical makeup while performing. Although he did not impress me as being moronic thought his plan was and also found his songs very simplistic and I declined the invitation. He apparently found some morons to join him in the project and they used the name Kiss. He was Gene Simmons of course. Who turned out to be the moron? I'm still not sure myself. I sometimes think that I made a mistake but it is only because of the money. I still think the music is moronic and I could never imagine myself in one of those costumes with a guitar that shoots sparks. Luckily I have accomplished some very worthwhile goals with my playing so I don't feel like a Pete Best, running a supermarket while listening to the Beatles on the radio. But I'm certainly not a multimillionaire. I guess that I would probably be dead by now if I had been a member of Kiss though. Life is wonderful isn't it?

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Well, how smart are puppets, and how many people are so desperate they are willing to be a puppet and do you envy puppets and don't puppets kinda bore people? Lets leave the puppets to the shallow people. They can have them, there are lots to choose from. Being a puppet is not making it. People who suck can't ever really make it. It's impossible. But they can be puppets.

I think this applies to engineers as well... It seems all the big time studios around where I am have engineers that appear to hate what they are doing - everything is a hassle for them, they seem jaded and jealous. I went to The School Of Audio Engineering with dozens of people who would KILL for their job. I also have noticed that these engineers don't do their best work unless the client has some serious money, or they are affiliated with a record label. Self financed bands always seem to get bodgy demo like production, where a band that is signed will get an awesome sound. Perfect example: a freinds band decided to save a couple of grand to record at Festival studios, and it sounded so bad, I offered to re-record them for half price in my facility, and there was no question what was better. The same room was used to record Silverchair's "Neon Ballroom" album, which is huge. So should I act jaded and dis-interested to make it to the big league? Screw that.

Adam B - Owner & Head Engineer

SMOKIN & JOKIN RECORDING STUDIO

Sydney Australia

www.angelfire.com/music/smokinjokin

My opinion is, so called "morons" as they don't know much theory they are not quite as limited as most good musicians who know all the "rules" of making music, etc. People listen to what they like, not to what a good music is. Take for example jazz. how many people listen to it? How many of them are not musicians? Little. Jazz is a thing which is played by quality musicians, they know every step they make. But it's not "good" for every man. People listen to simplicity, and it happens rarely that a good piece of music becomes a hit. That's my opinion, maybe I missed the whole thing. If that's the case, please accept my apologies :D

[quote]Originally posted by Smokin & Jokin: [b]It seems all the big time studios around where I am have engineers that appear to hate what they are doing - everything is a hassle for them, they seem jaded and jealous. I went to The School Of Audio Engineering with dozens of people who would KILL for their job.[/b][/quote]Very well put. There is a substantial group of engineers who have nothing to do but rag on everything they don't like about bands that they work with. "Didn't even know how to tune their drums to the spiritual meta-vibrations of the room...Stupid MIDI crap...That drummer looked like Wolverine...etc." All the while, those of us who are dying for a chance for a little business or to get a toe in the door of a facility aren't even [b]allowed a chance[/b] to scrub toilets. (Yes, I would take a toilet scrubbing job if someone would just let me have one.) Bull, I say. Bull. If you hate it so much, [b]get out so the people who actually enjoy engineering can have a chance to do a good job.[/b] On top of this, what's really funny is hearing the elder statesmen moan about there being no new blood to take up the reigns. Quite frankly, the new blood is out there, but because it doesn't think, act, or have the same aesthetic feel as the older guys, it's dismissed. If what they want is a direct, all knowing clone of (insert name of famous engineer here, preferably one who worked on a classic rock album), then they're probably going to be disappointed. I have the greatest respect for the pioneers of our craft, but everybody does [b]not[/b] operate like, say, Alan Parsons. Plus, they sometimes give the impression that they get some sort of perverse joy out of torturing newbies. It's one thing to expect someone to know their place and have the right attitude, it's quite something else to be almost gleeful in telling a fledgling engineer that "I just might let you see what we do in the studio, as long as my coffee never falls below or exceeds X degrees Kelvin, and you know absolutely everything there is to know about recording, and you agree with what I perceive to be the correct application of reverb, and..." It's poison in the water. (I've also been guilty of it, but in a theater lighting setting as opposed to a recording studio setting.) After this rant, I should make it abundantly clear that I don't feel that a new kid should be above buying coffee, taking out the trash, and sweeping out the stables. However, I [b]do[/b] think that people's feelings should be taken into account, [b]and[/b] that some folks seem to have forgotten that they did [b]not[/b] spring forth fully grown and knowledgeable. I'm sure that I've lost some points (out of whatever I might have had) because of this, but I felt it needed to be said. -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

Great responses guys, actually this whole music business is a huge joke. I agree with Smokin & Jokin about the engineer thing. I can let you hear recordings I did that sounds awsome and recordings I'm ashamed of :) Put a great musician in my studio and I will make him/her sound great and I'm absolutely sure many of you can do that just as well. Let's tell a story, I invested a lot in talented bands over the years, a very talented band got 35 days studiotime for free and we made a very nice CD. This CD was pissed by a guy from a rock magazine who is also a recordlabel owner and soon after that he 'signed' them. It seems this guy is going to make himself very rich with this band, oh well! Like I said, this business is a major joke. And Danny, I love my job, every now and then you meet an asshole, but most of the time I very much like what I'm doing and hope to continue until I'm 85 years old. (but I'm not going to kill anybody) And more Danny, many drummers cannot tune their drums properly and I've met a number of 'famous' keyboardplayers that were not able to play the Hammond because you can't transpose the f****n monster :) By the way, I have no problem to scrub the studio toilets myself, even if some drunk musician puked the place all over, it's all part of the game.
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

There's only one way morons have a chance of success at the music biz: if they're cooperative, easy on the eyes dancers who want to be the puppet of a Svengali producer/choreographer. For everyone else, I think tenacious hard work comes first, not giving up comes next, sticking with the effort before quitting would be third, and musical ability would be somewhere down the list. As for the people you respect in music: I think most of them are probably very smart people.

Archived