Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grandmas, Grandmas, Grandmas...

Okay, did anyone watch the "Granny" award show on GTN (Geriatric TV Network) last night? I mean, I usually stay away from these shows, because they're just a big popularity contest, but the awards were cool... The "Home made preserves" of the year award went to Ida Baumfeld of Nashua, MO, for her home-style apricot preserves. The "Quilt of the year" award went to Esther Fitzsimmons of Herndon, VA for her "Patriotic theme quilt". The "Recipe of the year" award went to Mildred Hightower of Taos, NM, for her "Spicy Southwest Chicken Casserole" recipe. Much more interesting than that other, similarly named award show... :D :D :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great thread! Never really got along with or got to know my mom's mother, but her mother (my great grandmother) was a real character and I got along with her wonderfully. She lived full blast to the age of 96, played the piano and organ in her church to the age of 88. I remember her ripping ragtime piano in her 70s. Noboby called her anything but "Mabe". Her health recipe was a glass of apricot brandy first thing in the morning. If my wife and I have a baby girl someday we'll name her Mabel. My dad's mom took her "without papers" entry into the US as an opportunity to slice 10 years off her official age- she died at 106 and was also a fiery lady. She made some mean "vereniki", a kind of dumpling, but her recipe was "take some cheese..." How much, what kind? "Oh the right kind about that much...", so I can't share it (or duplicate it). You know those kind of recipes! The grand matron of my wife's family is one of those nice little old ladies who makes you laugh at MTV "gangstahs" (she was in Nazi prison under death sentence for aiding partisan guerillas, her husband was in Dachau). Let's see...her recipe for the awards show...well if you stick a certain herb into homemade moonshine and let it sit for a while it'll cure about anything- I think it's like the flower stonecrop. I think Dan South's got me beat on not seeing the Grammy's, because I saw them once at my aunt's- Cristopher Cross won everything. But REAL grammys rule! :) -CB

Wow...I started this thread as a joke, and then Cameron comes in with a really cool story. Yeah, anyone who stared down the Nazis would whoop any "gangstas" ass any day of the week, and has my ultimate respect. I only knew one of my Grandmas, my Mom's Mom. She was a tough-as-nails Ukrainian lady. She never stared down the Nazis, but I'd bet they had their run-ins with the Bolsheviks. She never spoke of it, but then she died before I was old enough to be aware of the horrors of early 20th century Europe. They came to this Country around the time of the Russian Revolution. Here, in this country, she raised six kids in depression-era Detroit, and saw two of them become doctors, one, an M.D., and the other a dentist. Another of her daughters moved to Washington D.C. and married a cartographer for the U.S. Army (who would go on to serve in the Army Signal Corps in WWII in France). Those fine folks had an obnoxious kid who wanted to be a rock and roller, and would later aspire to annoy people on the musicplayer.com forums.... Am I annoying enough??? :D :D :D Grandma Sena, you get my nomination for the "Granny Award!!!" And how 'bout that Mildred, huh??? :D

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]Wow...I started this thread as a joke, and then Cameron comes in with a really cool story. Yeah, anyone who stared down the Nazis would whoop any "gangstas" ass any day of the week, and has my ultimate respect. I only knew one of my Grandmas, my Mom's Mom. She was a tough-as-nails Ukrainian lady. She never stared down the Nazis, but I'd bet they had their run-ins with the Bolsheviks. She never spoke of it, but then she died before I was old enough to be aware of the horrors of early 20th century Europe. They came to this Country around the time of the Russian Revolution. Here, in this country, she raised six kids in depression-era Detroit, and saw two of them become doctors, one, an M.D., and the other a dentist. Another of her daughters moved to Washington D.C. and married a cartographer for the U.S. Army (who would go on to serve in the Army Signal Corps in WWII in France). Those fine folks had an obnoxious kid who wanted to be a rock and roller, and would later aspire to annoy people on the musicplayer.com forums.... Am I annoying enough??? :D :D :D Grandma Sena, you get my nomination for the "Granny Award!!!" And how 'bout that Mildred, huh??? :D [/b][/quote]Tedster! Jak tam pozhivaesh, brat? My dad's from Kharkiv. :) Maybe we're family- can I drive your 'Vette when you get it? :D Good story! Grammys really are the tuffest. And they don't have to get busted in airports with unloaded firearms to prove it, hahaha! -CB

Anytime Cameron, when I get the Vette, you bet! I don't speak Ukrainian...I do remember my Grandma singing these Ukrainian songs while she was cooking (she lived with us until I was about 12). But, I really never picked up on it. I'm not sure of the little village that our family was from, I'll have to ask my Aunt before she passes on. It could have been Kharkiv, I think it was something with a K...not Kiev... Now I'm wondering. Where's Alex Haley when you need him?

I had to have a laugh and come write this post when I saw the topic... anyone remember the episode of "The Simpsons" where Mr Burns gets re-united with his son? He fakes a kidnapping with Homer, and they go hide out in a movie theatre. The movie they saw was "Too Many Grandma's". "Drive faster Grandma, Grandma is gaining on us!" The only thing that comes close to engineering is watching an episode of Simpsons.... :D

Adam B - Owner & Head Engineer

SMOKIN & JOKIN RECORDING STUDIO

Sydney Australia

www.angelfire.com/music/smokinjokin

[quote]Originally posted by Bobro: [b] I think Dan South's got me beat on not seeing the Grammy's, because I saw them once at my aunt's- Cristopher Cross won everything. [/b][/quote]I think that was the last one that I saw, too! Chris Cross - nice guy, but... Granny Awards Song Of The Year: "Walkers This Way" Record Of The Year: "As My Boobs Sag Down On Broadway" Album Of The Year: "Song In The Key Of...In The Key Of...Now WHERE Did I Leave My Keys?" :)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by Bobro: [b]...(she was in Nazi prison under death sentence for aiding partisan guerillas, her husband was in Dachau... -CB[/b][/quote]I visited Dachau at age 14, 20 years ago. It's still close in [i]my[/i] memory. I can't imagine the impact it had on victims and survivors. A toast to your grandma and grampa. My Dad's mom died in December, 2001, at the ripe old age of 94. She was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in Nov. of 2000. Inoperable. They gave her 3 months, tops. I imagined she'd have been gone by January, when we were to visit. Not only did she survive, she [i]lived[/i] until she died. She travelled from Florida to Minneapolis for my younger brother's wedding, and spent several visits with her only great-granddaughter (or son), my daughter Lilly. To this day, my father insists it was Lilly that kept her alive for 14 months after the diagnosis. A fantastic lady. My maternal grandmother is alive and kicking at 94. She spent a wonderful two weeks with my daughter at the beginnning of this month. She even rode several rides with us at Disney, for Lilly's birthday! Lilly is approx. her 15th great-grandchild on that side of the family. As soon GG Ida's eye surgery is complete, she'll get back to playing piano. I credit her influence for my Mom's love of playing music, and in turn mine. Anyone else want to gush on their Grandmas?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived