Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

micro$ucks and exorcising yourself of explorer

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't read this guys stuff but I do have a PC dedicated for DAW with the explorer removed and no internet.There's a program called 98 lite that removes more than just the explorer,but they have a free version that removes just the explorer.I highly recomend a PC with no explorer dedicated for DAW and a second PC for internet/multimedea crap.The newer shipped version of XP is supposed have the option during the install but I can't confirm that.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

yeah, i got 98lite. i also ran Ad-Aware... and i wasnt aware of a LOT of shit running on my machine. "Save Now" was installed on my machine a while back and those pop up ads drove me nuts for a couple days until i looked and found that fucker had somehow installed itself on my machine. so i killed it.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

That has to be one of the weirdest websites I've ever seen :D . But I guess my question to all of you is why the hell are you still using Windows 98? I ditched that piece of shit OS years ago once Windows 2000 came out. Now that XP is out and most professional audio cards have great drivers available for it there is really no reason to use this 4 year old OS. Back in the days of Win 98, I found myself reinstalling the OS about every 3-6 months. With 2k and XP, I haven't ever needed to reinstall anything and haven't had a lock up either. Just my $.02...

im using 98 on my design machine. i have been thinking about moving it to a 2k machine but aint no WAY im going to use XP. and there is no way id do audio on a windoze machine either. so basically im using a 98 machine out of habit [and lazyness to change it] i was staying at 95 until i HAD to switch when i got a pen tablet that was USB and 95 wouldnt support it.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

I've never removed I.E. from any of my WinME or Win98 DAWs. It's great for reading HTML manuals or instructions etc... I also keep Office 97 loaded. It is great for track sheets in Excel or lyrics in Word. I don't load anything but those 2 apps with few accessories. Both of my DAW's are ROCK SOLID with no problems. I.E. is not in and of itself a culprit. Unless, of course, you're one of those people that think Microsoft bashing makes you really cool.

Dino is right, Alpha. Windows 98 has nothing, and I mean NOTHING over XP. XP is built upon the Windows NT core, which is so much better than the Windows 9x core it's not even funny. I was skeptical about XP at first, especially after reading about the authorization scheme, but I can honestly say it's not a big deal. You have 30 day to activate Windows, and it only takes about a minute. Plus, you don't have register with Microsoft to activate XP, which is a plus. Oh yes, and unlike Windows 9x, there is virtually nothing to tweak for audio applications (besides disabling the new, horrific look)! There's just one thing you have to specify during setup to make sure everything will be smooth. What else is making you steer clear of XP?

are you fucking kidding me? i bought a synthesizer [korg poly800] as my first musical device [aside from the piano i had been playing for years] back in 83. im the kind of person who thinks a TRASH CAN can be a musical device. i own synths, drum machines, guitars, basses, drum kits, whatever! no, the part that freaks me out is the reporting. and im not saying that 98 is BETTER... just that i dont feel like installing a new OS, which i would probably go with 2k if anything. the authorization is freaky, the WMA deal is freaky, the copy protection scheme is freaky. there is a lot that REEKS about XP. personally, i wouldnt use windoze if i didnt have to [i work on a game that is only written for windoze so i have to test it on that] the rest is out of sheer lazyness. well, Opera SUCKS. its Java support is horrendous. i think i will keep Explorer. i like it, it just feels instrusive on the OS.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

I gotcha, Alpha. If your not doing music on the PC, then there's no real benefit for you moving up to XP. But going to Win 2k at some point might be a good choice if you primarily use it for web surfing. I use Win 2k at work and in the past year it's never locked up on me once.

I'm not Alphajerk (and I don't even play him on TV), but after knowing him for the past year or so, I can tell you EXACTLY what is making him steer away from WIN XP - the "authorization" issue. I have XP, but I'm not using it right now. I just upgraded my DAW... I had a Compaq 5005SR (933 MHz PIII) and I just built a Athlon XP 1800+ system (it's a smoker!). I yanked XP off the Compaq when I added a Digi 001 to it (while WIN XP compatability is in Beta testing, it's not available yet... so I had to go back to WIN ME - :eek: ). I'm using the same drives I had in the Compaq on the new machine, but I reformatted and reinstalled everything. Anyone want to take any bets on how much ass kissing I have to do with Micro$oft to get "permission" to re-install XP once the Pro Tools software is available? Even though I bought it, and it's not installed on ANY other machine I own, I just KNOW they're going to give me crap over it... IS THAT FAIR? I'm all for the rights of businesses to protect their intellectual property, but it seems to me that the legitimate users are hassled more than the pirates are. Another example. I own Sound Forge 5 and Vegas... I had to get "permission" (a serial number) to reinstall / authorize them every time I reformat my C drive... Remember when it looked like SF was having financial trouble a while back? What if they had gone "belly up"? Where would I get my "permission" to use my (paid for) software THEN? I LOVE XP - it's a MUCH better OS than anything else MS has ever done (with the possible exception of WIN 2K), but this "permission" stuff is a PITA. [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com "Juarez Phil?"

[quote]Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com: [b]Anyone want to take any bets on how much ass kissing I have to do with Micro$oft to get "permission" to re-install XP once the Pro Tools software is available? Even though I bought it, and it's not installed on ANY other machine I own, I just KNOW they're going to give me crap over it... IS THAT FAIR?[/b][/quote]No, it's not fair, but in reality you shouldn't have a problem. I've activated my copy of XP twice since I did a motherboard upgrade and had to reinstall Windows. I'd imagine that if you installed the OS more than 5 or 10 times that you might have to call Microsoft, but they are legally obligated to give you an unlock code. I'd love to find a crack/work around for this, since it really is a pain in my arse. [quote][b]Remember when it looked like SF was having financial trouble a while back? What if they had gone "belly up"? Where would I get my "permission" to use my (paid for) software THEN?[/b][/quote]You'd have to find a crack then I guess. Sad thing indeed. All of my friends who own Waves plug-ins use the cracked version to get around the PACE copy protection nightmares. [quote][b]I LOVE XP - it's a MUCH better OS than anything else MS has ever done (with the possible exception of WIN 2K), but this "permission" stuff is a PITA.[/b][/quote]I love XP so far too, besides all of the activation crap. I completely agree with you about the permission stuff. All it does is punish the paying customers.

alphajerk wrote: "no, the part that freaks me out is the reporting. and im not saying that 98 is BETTER... just that i dont feel like installing a new OS, which i would probably go with 2k if anything. the authorization is freaky, the WMA deal is freaky, the copy protection scheme is freaky. there is a lot that REEKS about XP." alpha, Luckily I have a corporate edition which doesn't have the copy protection so I don't have to deal with it. That's the only part of XP I really don't like. The WDM driver model, however, is the best thing to happen to PC audio in years!!! Way more efficiant and dependable. And of course ... low latency for soft synths...

yeah, i was designing the [url=http://www.fatcompilation.com/test/fatco_page.htm]FATCO page[/url] last night and i got the blue screen of death [and no, i didnt save ;) ] fortunately when i do design, i find it fairly easy to work my way back to what i had. with music though, might as well kiss that idea goodbye.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

Archived