Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grammys, Grammys, Grammys

I know you all watched the show. I had it on as background noise while I was trying to catch up on some work. Who did you like? Was the album of the year really a surprise? Was U2 as long winded as last year? Al Green's glow in the dark suit during the closing number - did ya' have to go put your shades on to watch it. CeCe Winans has pipes she doesn't even use on her CDs! Grammys - Like 'em or lump 'em? Popularity contest by those who sold the most or do they really represent todays music tastes. Inquiring minds want to know! RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I only watched bits and pieces. A little disappointed to say the least. I love U2 my favorite band really, but I do think Drops of Jupiter was a little overlooked at the Grammys. IMO, Drops of Jupiter was clearly the song and record of the year. I can't even remember if it was nominated for record of the year. Just my no cents from a guy who was nominated for exactly no Grammys. LOL Namaste Jedi

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Highlights for me at the party I attended: 1. Met Curve Dominant-Had a chance to talk to him face to face for a change. Cool dude :cool: making even cooler music. 2. Tall, thick big-breasted chick walking around in tight Baby Phat jeans and red shirt with a glowing green tongue ring :D . 3. Obviously drunk, surgically-enhanced groupie in a too tight dress walking to and fro trying to be seen :confused: . 4. Making a few key contacts and meeting some good folks, including a singer that offered to give me a private audition of her "talent" :eek: . And that was before the Grammy's actually startrd :D ... As far as the actual event on TV: Highlights: -Alicia Keys gave a great performance and cleaned up on awards. Proof positive of Clive's machine at work. -U2 proving 15+ years in the industry won't stop a great band. -Al Green's lifetime achievement award. The man deserves the recognition. Lowlights: -The Academy's snub of India.Arie was a shame because musically and producation-wise, India's CD is MUCH stronger (but didn't get the radio play). Proof positive of Clive's machine at work. -The show's supposed gospel music "performance". I wouldn't call what the did at the end of the show a performance. Christian music was the ONLY genre that grew last year while the rest of the industry suffered miserably. Kirk Franklin scanned 90,000 units for his latest release on 2/19, hitting #4 on the Billboard 200, the highest charting gospel release EVER, surpassing Yolanda Adams' 60,000 last year, yet they couldn't find time showcase the genre better than that :confused: :mad: :( ???? -The entire telecast was kinda boring. Jon Stewart wasn't that humorus IMHO.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

I had no expectations and in fact wasn't going to watch it, but when i got home from rehearsal my roommate told me what had happened and i did watch most of it(taped). I was pleasantly surprised with almost everything. I even enjoyed the Dylan Tune. Great band! And , he looked pretty cool to boot.I still don't know what the hell he is up to with his singing but when the music is that complex and interesting it's easier to take. See, i'm open minded! :cool: Steve Vai was great. U2 sound huge with BOno playing Guitar. I still don't like Alicia Keys at all. I'm glad they had gospel at the end, it really is some of the best music IMO. I thought it was a great show. :)

[quote]I even enjoyed the Dylan Tune. Great band! And , he looked pretty cool to boot.I still don't know what the hell he is up to with his singing but when the music is that complex and interesting it's easier to take. See, i'm open minded![/quote]heh, well he can't really sing anymore...he still delivered the song pretty good IMO...but TONS of people would disagree with me :)

Grammy's are awarded to people who are in most need of a boost in record sales. India.Arie was truly overlooked since she is the only pop act that I enjoyed this year. There should be an electronica category, and maybe a Trip-hop one. There are some awesome producers out there that don't even get a nod. I think Amon Tobin's work excels that of Nelly Fertado and Lenny Kravitz(who went so down hill - "once you dig in"? That's the worst song ever and he won!) Grammy awards make me frustrated at the music industry. I hate it

Did you notice that once an acceptance speech went so long this background music started playing, then got progressively louder until the winner shut up? It was effective but kind of annoying too. And who was the spanish artist to played with Destiny's Child? That song really grabbed my ear, nice chord changes!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

they've been doing that music thing for a while - it's kind of like the metaphorical "hook" this year they made it a little too blatent, and they cut people off real quick. They were under a tight time schedule this year as I said above I hate the grammys

[quote]Originally posted by botch@netutah.net: [b]And who was the spanish artist to played with Destiny's Child? That song really grabbed my ear, nice chord changes![/b][/quote]I going to watch that again right now, i've been waiting all day to come home from work and watch that performance again. That fucking chick just blows my world to peices, she is sooo stunning, I love her. I'm going to marry her. I'm out of breath just typing about her.

Yeh, but people know they only have a limited amount of time to make a speech. It's kind of disrespectful to everybody else to have to listen to some long winded speech, esp. when the performers are told to keep it short. Though they were attacked by the media when they cut off Sinatra, it was probably a good thing in retrospect. Now, who can complain about getting cut? Sinatra was about as big as it gets. And on top of being disrespectful to the audience, this diarrhea of the mouth is even more disrespectful towards all of the people that have to appear in those "snapshot" sections, like best classical, or best engineer. On a side note, I think that Shaggy really got screwed. Didn't he have the biggest selling pop album this past year?(I thought I read this somewhere...but I may have been out of it:) I'm not really sure how it is, only heard the singles... but I'm so tired of the pervasive elitist attitudes about music. The opinion of the people is what really matters...

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

in a perfect world the opinion of the people would prevail, but in this world groups like N'Sync would win(I like to call them Justin Timberlake and Those Other Dudes). Did you notice that N'sync didn't win any this year or in any previous year?

[quote]Originally posted by botch@netutah.net: [b] And who was the spanish artist to played with Destiny's Child? That song really grabbed my ear, nice chord changes![/b][/quote]Alejandro Sanz. He´s like a god here, the prince of Spanish pop. He actually composes his songs, and plays guitar very well (he started very young as flamenco player). Everybody loves him. best, JoseC.

[quote]Originally posted by RobT: [b]Grammys - Like 'em or lump 'em? Popularity contest by those who sold the most or do they really represent todays music tastes. Inquiring minds want to know! RobT[/b][/quote]Yea, that about sums it up bro..JOKE!! Alicia Keys..I don't get they hype..Don't hear Greatness by any measure. Lenny Kravitz winning ANYTHING is HURTING!! The Whitest, soul-less, Black man I have ever heard or seen...That TRAIN song was song of the year, flat out....U2 are great and legendary at this point....The music industry is largely devoid of real talen these days, so I expected nothing less from the Grammys. Maybe, i will go to Chiropractic school after all....the upside is, that all the people who can actually play and sing many styles will be increasingly more and more in demand so I guess there will always be a plethora of gigs available.... :)

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

For an awards show, it was actually quite good. It's not too often you see good fold music performed live at these shows. And although most of their new music doesn't do much for me, seeing U2 play live is always cool. Seeing those girls do the Moulin Rouge act was pretty nice on the eyes too :D . About the only part that really sucked that night was N Sync. It was actually quiet funny seeing those pretty boys on the same stage as all of the real talent that night. Do those guys actually pick out their own outfits :rolleyes: ?

[quote]Originally posted by SVENTVKG [b]That TRAIN song was song of the year, flat out.... [/b] [/quote]Thanks man. I thought I was alone on that one. Like them or not the greatness of that song is almost undeniable, and is even more pronounced given the songs they were up against. Just MO. Jedi

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

[quote]Originally posted by mr. tunes: [b]in a perfect world the opinion of the people would prevail...[/b][/quote]The Grammys have nothing to do with the opinion of "the People" - that would be the Peoples' Choice awards. The Grammys are strictly industry-chosen...

Archived