Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using computers live...NEED HELP PLEASE

Hello to all. I'm looking for the right set up for using a computer system LIVE. Here is what i want to do... Use a mixer.. Route into computer use the plugin on computer route mix out of computet into eq>amp>.. My question is what mixer? I would think it would need direct outs/ins What interface? I would like to route each channel into or at least a sub group... Thanks for your help....

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use a Mackie mixer live but I don't bring my computer. I have a G4 400 mhz with Protools Digi001 so it's not light. I use my QS8 and I was thinking about using a laptop with my band live but... haven't done it yet. I'd recommend the Mackie 1604 VLZ though for mixing. It sounds great and has some nice features.

Let's try it this way..... How would you set up in a studio using only a computer system. You would have to have a mixer with direct outs and ins. You would need a break out box(interface) to connect to. Could you, at this point monitor the sound while using the plugins....???

[quote]Originally posted by griff1096: [b] Could you, at this point monitor the sound while using the plugins....???[/b][/quote]??? monitor the sound? seperatly from the mix your sending to FOH? why? yes you can, but im uncertain as to your goals. could you be more clear/specific?

ok im just a litle unsure of what your question is, it sounds like you already know how to do it.. running from a mixer to a I/O then into cubase.. then out the I/O (channels or mains depending on what your looking for in output) back into the mixer.. out to amps, then to speakers.

I know what I want to do, I just need to know what is the best mixer and Interface combo. If latency is a real problem then I would like to know that also. I would think that anything under 10mils would be ok... I've never done this before. I record to ADATs and transfer the tracks over to the computer for editing and mixing.

Griff, Check out my web site. My rig is a portable (sort of) 16-track PC using an Allen & Health mixer. It mixes down to a stereo bus for the live part. But, it also has "direct outs" for each channel, which I send to each channel of my two Delta-1010s. [url=http://www.AudioMaverick.com]www.AudioMaverick.com[/url]

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

I have though about this alot, basicly useing your computer as a big configuable effects device, ... always been scared off by reliablity issues though. IF I was going ot do that I would use RME cards, the hammerfall, or more likely the digi/multi face series(those can runn off laptop). [url=http://www.rme-audio.com]www.rme-audio.com[/url] for more info. tell us how it works though eh.... as for the "best" mixer, try a few out, grab your rig head out ot your local music store and play. .. the mackies seem like a good midle of the road choise, if you want clearer, try the sound craft m12 , mmaybe you can save a few buck and get a beringher. you will not know untill you try. best of luck.

Thanks for all the replies.... I've done a test with just the computer.. If not for latency, I could do it with the present card. It's my understanding that SONAR and the DSP2416(snd card) runs with less than 10 mils of latency..most get under 5. 15 would work with ease.... Anyway I'll keep you updated. In the mean time if any one else has a clue, Let me know Thanks Thomas

yea just keep in mind that as you lower latency you put more stress on the comp. at under 10 ms the computer doesn't have a lot of time to play with ram and HD's and stuff, untill that next chunk of audio needs to go out..... good luck. may the OS be with you.

Archived