Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

man, satellite radio rawks :D

last week I had occasion to share a rental van with some nice folks... we drove down to Miami Beach from Gainesville to attend a convention on July 1, 2, and 3...

The van was totally awesome, probably the newest vehicle i have encountered in many a year. Automotive technology has certainly come a long way. All the seats had individual air vents and reading lights and arm rests on both sides, like in a jetliner. ;)

It also had a Sirius satellite radio system, and I must say, I was quite impressed... lots of variety in the music channels... there was no new age music channel unfortnately :( but there was a smooth jazz channel and an ambient/"chill-out electronica" channel... there was also a very good blues channel...

It also had lots of talk radio, including "Air America" with Al Franken and Jerry Springer :D

There were also NPR and PRI channels... I was unable to ascertain if they carried "Echoes" and "Hearts of Space" though...

Can anybody answer that question for me? Does the Sirius sevice carry those programs??

If the answer is yes, I'm definitely gonna have to get me some sirius satellite radio ;)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

XM has New Age channels, and one channel caries the Hearts of Space program...though I can't remember which one. Mine came built in a new vehicle with I think it was 1-year free service. I was instantly sold on Satellite Radio, and I'm sure I would have been happy with Sirius too...had it been there instead. Best $12.99/month any music lover can spend...and you get to listen on-line as well. :)

Barry

I've got Sirius. I'm with T.Blues on the pluses, but I am really disappointed with the smooth jazz channel -- which is why I bought into the system. With as much stuff as is out there in that genre, there are way too many repeats. Sounds like someone's pushing certain songs. Can you spell Payola? We've got a li'l old local smooth jazz DJ with a nightly program on the public station that blows these national people away with a more interesting selection of tunes. Try RadioAvalon.com.

I've got a Sirius hookup in the car and my sattelite TV at home gets the music channels.

I'm certainly not without criticism, but all in all I like it, and am simply enjoying a psoitive "radio" experience these days. I thinks it is a good value if you use it correctly. I'm not sure about the "echoes" or "Hearts Of Space" programs you are looking for - check the Sirius website.

Woof!

I got my wife an XM MyFi portable a couple o weeks ago for her birthday. I really had no interest in it myself, but now that I've sampled it I must say it's very cool.

I was really sold on it when I heard the following set-list last week:

Nico - "Heroes"

David Bowie - Beauty and the Beast

Adrien Belew - Big Electric Cat

Adrien Belew - FutureVision

King Crimson - Elephant Talk

Robert Fripp - I May Not Have Had Enough of Me, But I've Had Enough of You

BeBop Deluxe - (didn't remember the title)

Bill Nelson - (something from Vistamix)

Kraftwork - Autobahn (yeah, the whole thing :) )

wow!

oh, and the cool thing about the MyFi is that you can set it up to record a 5 hour stream and play it back later. They seem to be going for around $300 everywhere, but for some reason 6th Ave Electronics had them on their website for $205! That's like 50 less than anywhere else. We went into a store and they were shocked too, but reluctently honored their own website's price. They may have changed it by now - seems like somebody screwed up

They (XM) also have a deal right now where if you buy one, ya get a Roady2 by mailing in and doing at least 3 months (at half the cost). Not bad.

Originally posted by EoS:

I got my wife an XM MyFi portable a couple o weeks ago for her birthday. I really had no interest in it myself, but now that I've sampled it I must say it's very cool.

I was really sold on it when I heard the following set-list last week:

Nico - "Heroes"

David Bowie - Beauty and the Beast

Adrien Belew - Big Electric Cat

Adrien Belew - FutureVision

King Crimson - Elephant Talk

Robert Fripp - I May Not Have Had Enough of Me, But I've Had Enough of You

BeBop Deluxe - (didn't remember the title)

Bill Nelson - (something from Vistamix)

Kraftwork - Autobahn (yeah, the whole thing :) )

wow!

oh, and the cool thing about the MyFi is that you can set it up to record a 5 hour stream and play it back later. They seem to be going for around $300 everywhere, but for some reason 6th Ave Electronics had them on their website for $205! That's like 50 less than anywhere else. We went into a store and they were shocked too, but reluctently honored their own website's price. They may have changed it by now - seems like somebody screwed up

They (XM) also have a deal right now where if you buy one, ya get a Roady2 by mailing in and doing at least 3 months (at half the cost). Not bad.

Must have been listening to "Music Lab" ;)

Barry

Originally posted by gitfidler:

I've got Sirius. I'm with T.Blues on the pluses, but I am really disappointed with the smooth jazz channel -- which is why I bought into the system. With as much stuff as is out there in that genre, there are way too many repeats. ...

That is my complaint with many of the XM channels, and some of my friends with Sirius also mention this problem. Even on the oldies rock channels. For many channels the play list is too small.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived