Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help! Both of my young uns are musically inclined...

What to do? What to do? They are both into guitars, the midget is into drums.

So it looks like dad's gonna have to

a) buy himself a guitar.

b) buy two little mini guitars.

c) learn how to play well enough to entertain them

d) etc etc.

e) Learn how to tune the bloddy thing, and string it...

I'm looking for a CHEAP acoustic guitar with a pickup for myself.

I already have a direct line to any size guitar amp I want for cheap. (Not that I'm gonna get anything for now).

Thanks.

ps - I played bass at a very basic level many moons ago (6 weeks of theory + practical), this ended when a bus hit me off a bicycle and broke my left wrist in a very bad way.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You poor bastard.

Quick, break their fingers before their lives are ruined forever.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Originally posted by NYC Drew:

Originally posted by Henchman:

You poor bastard.

Which joint?
All of them, other wise there will be some use available.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

It won't work, Dak. They'll just end up playing with their toes, a la the gentleman who played for Pope John Paul II when he visited the states. (And, at his funeral. Hey! Maybe that breaking knuckles isn't a bad idea... Hmmm...)

And does the name Django mean anything to you? (He mangled one hand and went on to be a legendary musician. ;) )

Besides, he'd have to go for the knees and elbows to stop the little drummer boy... and that probably wouldn't do it, either. :freak:

You probably should of thought of this before you moved the family outta NYC, Drew! Lots of talent to help ya solve these problems in NYC.. or Jersey. :D

As for instruments, I have to say I'm floored by a First Act acoustic guitar my parents bought for Lilly. Though she's been disinterested, I picked it up and discovered that although it is a step away from corrugated cardboard, the darn thing looks and plays well. I keep it tuned a few half steps low, but still.. I'm shocked at how decent it is. Sounds like a parlor guitar.. A Gibson L-00 or such or a dobro. I plan to record something with it this coming week. I'll post pics and a soundbite, if possible. Otherwise it'll just have to show up when I see you on the 23rd. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by NYC Drew:

Originally posted by Henchman:

You poor bastard.

Which joint?
Dude, forget about the weed for a minute will ya?

Multiple fractures always work best.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Check out any of the big chain stores. I bought what turned out to be a pretty good little steel string for under $200 at Christmas time. I just couldn't leave the Martain laying around for my son and daughter to work over. They love it, I love it, and clients love to see it laying around and ready to be played. I've recorded it a few times, and It has a great John Lennon strumming sound. Very cool.

As far as the kids are concerned, there's a big difference between a little interest, and ready for prime time. If they want to persue music as a career, you'll have lots of good advice.

Steve

The worst part about having musically inclined kids is they want to start using your equipment. Your capo disappears. Your guitar cables disappear. Tuners? Forget it. Even if your kid is a drummer, your mics will disappear. Your music room will be left a shambles.

And that's the good part.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

The worst part about having musically inclined kids is they want to start using your equipment. Your capo disappears. Your guitar cables disappear. Tuners? Forget it. Even if your kid is a drummer, your mics will disappear. Your music room will be left a shambles.

And that's the good part.

And before too ,ong, they're stealing your groupies.

Damn kids.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm getting a el cheapo guitar from american musical (1/2 size) $35 ...and I'll pick up an acoustic / electric for myself from one of those places where I've spent 000's of dollars over the years.

I already have a Kurzweil K2500 in the basement, but the boys are only mildy interested in that.

They probably got their "guitar addiction" from watching the "Wiggles". They already have the not-really-a-guitar Wiggles guitar.

Hi Curve, Long time no speak.

'Drew

Man Drew,

I feel your pain. My young 'un drops everything whenever he hears music. Just fascinates him. And he's already got a little drum set and loves to rock! At only a year and a half!

Help! What do I do?

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Drew

Its fantastic that your kids are into music as are my 2 youngest boys and beleive me your little ones have a brilliant influence in you.

1 plays bass and drums and the other bass and guitar and they are only 15 and 11 so a little help and coaching takes them a long way.

I am sure you'll get to grips with teaching them but maybe an idea is to get in a teacher to teach them for a while till you feel confident enough to help them out but theres nothing stopping you from trying and one way you can help them build their playing up is to show them DVDs of arrtists that you may have worked with and talk them through what is happening on stage and how it all works, thats how my kids got into music and love listening to different varied artists and seeing what happens on stage.

On another note, You have been on my mind lately as I need some advice I will email you about if that is ok and your the right person to ask.

Speak soon Drew

Archived