Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Screw Starbucks

Bob Dylan in exclusive CD deal with Starbucks

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 12:16:53 AM ET

By Nichola Groom

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Counterculture legend Bob Dylan on Monday became the latest musician to sign up with Starbucks Corp. in an exclusive CD deal that follows the runaway success of a Ray Charles album sold by the coffee maker.

"Dylan: Live at the Gaslight 1962," co-released with Sony BMG Custom Marketing Group, will hit Starbucks coffee shops Aug. 30. It features 10 previously unreleased tracks from performances at New York's Gaslight Cafe over four decades ago, including "A Hard Rains A-Gonna Fall" and "Don't Think Twice It's Alright."

Starbucks is moving aggressively into the music scene by selling CDs consumers can't buy elsewhere.

The company does not disclose how much CD sales add to profits. One analyst said the music business has been more helpful in driving customer traffic than contributing meaningfully to sales.

"I wouldn't say music has been a big driver," JMP Securities analyst Kristine Koerber said. "They are still a coffee retailer, that's their primary focus."

Starbucks will carry "Gaslight" exclusively for 18 months, its longest such agreement yet. The CD will cost $13.95 at Starbucks' 4,600 U.S. stores.

Dissatisfaction with Top 40-oriented traditional music retailers, particularly among older consumers who are more likely to be Dylan fans, has allowed Starbucks' music business to flourish, company executives said.

"That disenfranchised customer is very much a part of the Starbucks customer base," Ken Lombard, president of the chain's entertainment division, said in an interview.

He added that the chain is uniquely placed to catch customer interest, as buying coffee at Starbucks has become a part of many consumers' daily routine.

Starbucks' biggest music success has been the Grammy-winning Ray Charles CD "Genius Loves Company." Since its release last fall, Starbucks has sold more than 775,000 copies, accounting for 26 percent of its overall U.S. sales, the company said.

That success has helped the chain win over other big name artists, such as Alanis Morissette and Joni Mitchell.

"That success continues to position us for great projects like the Dylan project and others," Lombard said.

It is not the first time Dylan, known for his politically and socially charged lyrics, has partnered with a major corporation to promote his music.

Last year, an exclusive compilation CD of his work was sold at lingerie retailer Victoria's Secret, a unit of Limited Brands Inc. Dylan even appeared in one of the chain's television ads, prompting some critics to say he had sold out.

The release of "Gaslight" coincides with the premiere of a documentary film about Dylan's life by director Martin Scorsese called "No Direction Home: Bob Dylan." The chain will also be selling the soundtrack to that film, though not exclusively.

Post Extras:

So, I don't want to hear anymore whiney stories about musicians getting f''ed up the ass by labels.

Or the crap about how downloading hurts the industry,since they are busy destroying the foundation of an industry by doing deals with the likes of Starbucks.

Do you think Startbucks is going to be carrying a back catalogue? No, of course not. They'll continue to cherrypick releases that make money, so the other music stores can lose out on much needed income.

So next time I download another, unavailable song fromm a back catalogue, using any of a variety of P2P software packages, I'll make sure I do it while sitting at Starbucks, sipping a Grande Non-Fat Now whip mocha, and raise my cup in a toast to shortsighted idiots like Dylan and Morrissette.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I was about ready to write the whole thing off, thinking who's going to go out of their way to bother to hear let alone own current Dylan?

But then I saw it was from '62, recorded at the Gaslight...

I am in no way anti-corporation or anti-business -- but Starbucks really is evil.

There's a little coffee shop with their own roaster on the shopping promendade a few blocks from my house. They have great coffee and they've been there since the 70's.

Back when Starbucks was doing their first wave of agressive expansion, they put a Starbucks in a few blocks away.

Then, when this local coffee joint ( Polly\'s ) didn't go under like Starbucks undoubtedly expected -- they put another Starbucks in a few blocks away. A pincer maneouver, I guess.

Facing what looked like the Final Showdown, Polly's owner hired a young marketing graduate who did a quick market study.

His recommendation: put out a display with some Starbucks beans (shriveled, dried, and cakey) next to some of Polly's own self-roasted beans.

Now, Polly's is stronger than ever, has free wireless, and is an icon in the struggle of local businesses against large, quasi-monopolistic giants like Starbucks.

Back to Bob... something happened to him in the motorcycle wreck. He's just never been the same. There've been a few bright moments, of course, but they'r just faded reflections of what he once was...

I agree that it is some serious cherry-picking by Starbucks but looking at it differently, would an album like Dylan's get decent coverage at a traditional top-40 record shop? I think this is some pretty creative marketing by taking the music right to his demographic. Personally, I don't frequent Starbucks but I have also pretty much given up on record stores altogether since they never seem to stock anything that I'm looking for. The past few times I have gone out CD shopping have been a miserable experience.

Gosh, Henchman, Dylan is our national treaure. I would think you'd be happy they're finding a way to bring his music to many people and making some money for him. You're knocking a coffeehouse for selling some classic Dylan... As if Starbucks is somehow preventing you from getting your hands on Dylan albums. Who's the whiny lil feller now? Does every retailer need to carry everything at all times for you to be satisfied?

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

...Personally, I don't frequent Starbucks but I have also pretty much given up on record stores altogether since they never seem to stock anything that I'm looking for. The past few times I have gone out CD shopping have been a miserable experience.

Right around the corner from Polly's, the one-off coffee shop in my post above, is a one-off record store called Fingerprints that has a very broad selection of underground rock, hip hop, folk, lots of mainstream and local jazz, blues, soul, you name it. (Their classical selection is still growing, but it's getting respectable.)

They also have a huge selection of used discs.

The people there are knowledgeable across a broad range of styles. A couple of well known musicians and DJ/producerss have or do work there, as well. Ikey Owens, keyboardist for Mars Volta and Free Moral Agents worked there until his Mars Volta chores took him on the beginning of a world tour last year. And recently back from European and south American tours is Elvin Estela, better known as Nobody , one of the hipper DJ/producers working LA right now.

If anybody hasn't seen this before, it still cracks me up years later...

JACKIE MASON ON STARBUCKS

You want coffee in a coffee shop, that's 60 cents. But at Starbucks, if it's Cafe Latte: $3.50. Cafe Creamier: $4.50. Caffe Suisse: $9.50. For each French word, another four dollars. Why does a little cream in coffee make it worth $3.50?

Go into any coffee shop; they'll give you all the cream you want until you're blue in the face. Forty million people are walking around in coffee shops with jars of cream: "Here's all the cream you want!" And it's still 60 cents. You know why? Because it's called "coffee."

You want cinnamon in your coffee? Ask for cinnamon in a coffee shop; they'll give you all the cinnamon you want. Do they ask you for more money because it's cinnamon? It's the same price for cinnamon in your coffee as for coffee without cinnamon - 60 cents, that's it.

But not in Starbucks. Over there, it's Cinnamonnier - $9.50. You want a refill in a regular coffee shop, they'll give you all the refills you want until you drop dead. You can come in when you're 27 and keep drinking coffee until you're 98. And they'll start begging you: "Here, you want more coffee, you want more, you want more?"

Do you know that you can't get a refill at Starbucks? A refill is a dollar fifty. two refills, $4.50. Three refills, $19.50 So, for four cups of coffee - $35.00. And it's burnt coffee. It's burnt coffee at Starbucks, let's be honest about it. If you get burnt coffee in a coffee shop, you call a cop. You say, "It's the bottom of the pot. I don't drink from the bottom of the pot. But when it's burnt at Starbucks, they say, "Oh, it's a blend. It's a special bean from Argentina....." The bean is in your head.

And there're no chairs in those Starbucks. Instead, they have these high stools. You ever see these stools? You haven't been on a chair that high since you were two. Seventy-three year old Jews are climbing and climbing to get to the top of the chair. And when they get to the top, they can't even drink the coffee because there are 12 people around one little table, and everybody's saying, "Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, excuse me....." Then they can't get off the chair. Old Jews are begging Gentiles, "Mister, could you get me off this?"

Do you remember what a cafeteria was? In poor neighborhoods all over this country, they went to a cafeteria because there were no waiters and no service. And so poor people could save money on a tip. Cafeterias didn't have regular tables or chairs either. They gave coffee to you in a cardboard cup. So because of that you paid less for the coffee. You got less, so you paid less.

It's all the same at Starbucks - no chairs, no service, a cardboard cup for your coffee - except in Starbucks, the less you get, the more it costs. By the time they give you nothing, it's worth four times as much.

Am I exaggerating? Did you ever try to buy a cookie in Starbucks? Buy a cookie in a regular coffee shop. You can tear down a building with that cookie. And the whole cookie is 60 cents. At Starbucks, you're going to have to hire a detective to find that cookie, and it's $9.50. And you can't put butter on it because they want extra. Do you know that if you buy a bagel, you pay extra for cream cheese in Starbucks?

Cream cheese, another 60 Cents. A knife to put it on, 32 cents. If it reaches the bagel, 48 cents. That bagel costs you $312.

And they don't give you the butter or the cream cheese. They don't give it to you. They tell you where it is. "Oh, you want butter? It's over there. Cream cheese? Over here. Sugar? Sugar is here." Now you become your own waiter. You walk around with a tray. "I'll take the cookie. Where's the butter? The butter's here. Where's the cream cheese?

The cream cheese is there." You walked around for an hour and a half selecting items, and then the guy at the cash register has a glass in front of him that says "Tips."

You're waiting on tables for an hour, and you owe him money? Then there's a sign that says please clean it up when you're finished.

They don't give you a waiter or a busboy. Now you've become the janitor. Now you have to start cleaning up the place. Old Jews are walking around cleaning up Starbucks. "Oh, he's got dirt too? Wait, I'll clean this up." They clean up the place for an hour and a half.

If I said to you, "I have a great idea for a business. I'll open a whole new type of a coffee shop. A whole new type. Instead of 60 cents for coffee I'll charge $2.50, $3.50, $4.50, and $5.50. Not only that, I'll have no tables, no chairs, no water, no busboy, and you'll clean it up for 20 minutes after you're finished." Would you say to me, "That's the greatest idea for a business I ever heard! We can open a chain of these all over the world!" No, you would put me right into a sanitarium.

Starbucks can only get away with it because they have French titles for everything, Nazi bastard sons-of-a-bitches. And I say this with the highest respect, because I don't like to talk about people.

This thread just gave me an idea...

There are many local coffee shops here in NYC. I think it would be really cool if local artists and these local shops got together and held CD Release Parties. It would help out the artist and coffee shop.

As far as Dylan and Alannis, do they really care anymore? Seriously, they made their money and will make more with Starbucks...at this point in their careers I don`t think they really care how their decisions affect others on labels.

We live in a new time in the recording industry. Just like forever; artists in a position to cut a better deal for themselves will, and those that aren't won't.

Contrary to what people believe artists like Dylan, and Joni Mitchell don't sell tons of records anymore. I read in 2003 that Joni Mitchell had not recieved a royalty check in years; and remember she won a Grammy in 1996 for record of the year.

You have to get your stuff out when and where you can and that sounds like what Bob Dylan has done, and I will predict he will sell more copies of that CD than anything he has released in 20 years.

I say good for him.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Originally posted by E-money:

Gosh, Henchman, Dylan is our national treaure.
...then let's bury him.

One man's treasure is another man's trash

Shocking! This reminds me of my mother-law-law saying she doesn't like The Rolling Stones. What? Huh? Out of all their music over the years- there aren't any Rolling Stone songs she likes? That's crazy! You may as well say you do not like Rock n Roll!

And to say Dylan is "trash"... out of all his music... you may as well say you do not like poetry. E-money, you Philistine!

I'm torn...

I've hated music shops pretty much for the past 15-20 years. The only ones worth going into are small, independent shops, and they charge ridiculous prices for the same product.

I begrudgingly enter Tower Records because I'm likely to find what I'm looking for there.

But I think the days of fingering through titles are over. Unless you go to a used CD shop, why even try?

That being the case, I appreciate both sides of the arguement. Dylan has a right to sell his product through whomever he thinks will sell the most. If he wants to help save independent record stores at the expense of his personal sales, he could do that to. However he sells the product, it's his to sell. Who are any of us to complain about this? It's not like they're asking a mint for this album. And as others have noted, it targets his likely audience better than a blanket release to record stores and Walmart, Target, etc.

It isn't just musicians and record labels that have had to deal with the cold hard truth of how the business of selling music has changed.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Not to get off-topic or anything, but Bon Mot, is your avatar a BUNNY WITH A PANCAKE ON IT'S HEAD?

http://www.rossdesigngroup.com/images/misc/bunny.jpg

:D:D:D

Oh, yeah... Starbucks is evil. Or not. All I know is that their coffee sucks. Go to Seattle's Best (oh, wait, they're owned by Starbucks now. Dammit. :mad: )

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

This is all kinda funny, because this band I'm in played @ Starbucks last month for a street festival we have in Austin called 1st Thursday. It's always on the first Thursday of each month and we're booked for next week also.

It's also funny that we do one of Dylans songs thats going to be on the CD, "if you gotta go", or something like that, it's even more hilarious that I've been getting free coffee since last month whenever I stop-in to say hello!!

HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I've only had Starbucks coffee one time at a hospital that had one of their shops on site. The place was everything Lee described and "bottom of the pot" is an understatement for the rot gut stuff that I had to choke down to keep from just throwing my money away. I was dead tired and needed a caffiene boost or I would have dumped it.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

As far as I know, they triple filter their water now, maybe you got some funky milk or something Ani. You can get a double-latte for less than 2 bucks, also iced, that doesn't seem too ridiculous these days. Also I don't like the crap they sell in stores contained in a fancy bottle.

I can't really say they're superior or anything, but they must be doing something right because they make money all-day-long, especially if you have a drive-thru on a busy street! Absolutely amazing just around the corner from me that place has always got cars waiting for java man!

Ernest, What an innovative idear! How about some live performances at these coffeehouses too? I'm thinkin' folk music! Howzabout an open-mic poetry night too? This could really catch on. ;)

I have never had a bad cup of coffee at Starbucks. Better-half and I were just reminiscing about how most coffee.. even the stuff at Circle K is pretty damned good. Course, I suppose, I could really dig deep and remember a crappy cup.. and the circumstances surrounding it.. but I see that angle has been covered.

Chris, good to see you. :wave:

DC Ross, yep. That is a bunny with a pancake on it's head.

Did I mention, Dylan is our national treasure?

Starbucks.

I can't see how people can choose coffee that was roasted 6+ months ago overseas over a cup brewed from beans roasted in the last 48 hours.

If you're a serious coffee drinker you know the difference. On the other hand, if you prefer all the fru-fru garnish and chocolate you won't be tasting the coffee anyway.

Denny's has better coffee than Starbucks.

:freak:

this house is empty now...

Originally posted by pseudonym:

This is all kinda funny, because this band I'm in played @ Starbucks last month for a street festival we have in Austin called 1st Thursday. It's always on the first Thursday of each month and we're booked for next week also.

It's also funny that we do one of Dylans songs thats going to be on the CD, "if you gotta go", or something like that, it's even more hilarious that I've been getting free coffee since last month whenever I stop-in to say hello!!

HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like Kramer- free coffee for life!

songrytr, Serious coffee drinkers burnt off their taste buds long ago, silly. :D

As far as I know, they triple filter their water now, maybe you got some funky milk or something Ani.
I don't know pseudonym, whatever it was left a poor and lasting impression on me. When I spend $5.00 on something that isn't fit to drink; I'm not one to take my chances from one day to the next as to whether or not I'll get a good cup the "next time". I can walk into the local convenience stores and buy a large cup for .90 cents and get great java EVERY TIME. I think Starbucks is more about prestige and being uppity than it is for quality blend and flavor. If I'm going to spend $5.00 for a cup of coffee, I'll drive a few extra miles to find a Denny's where I can enjoy breakfast along with my coffee for the same price. Plus, Denny's has all you can drink on the coffee... just like Lee suggested.

Starbucks is a place designed for people with st http://www.biedenwin.nl/layout/img/site/eyes-animated.gif pid money to spend. It's sort of like the Emporer's New Clothes; it's all about the marketing. The sludge that I bought would have been better served from the bottom of an oil well... it was so thick and bitter.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Sorry you got a funky $5 dollar cup, I think it's the double expresso thats $1.89 and not the latte, I am just so confused everytime I go in there.

This place we do the gig, just got some new equipment that shoots-out coffee "FAST", supposedly these things cost $16,000 a-piece!!!!! They have TWO!!

Actually, coffee had made me break-out with nasty freakin' greasy zits on my face for several years, until I figured-out it was the freakin' nasty cheap coffee doin' it to me, so I quit drinkin' the crappy $.50 cup for several years now, until..... Starbucks, for some rocket-science concept that has yet to do that to my pretty, pretty face. Someone told me, that they refine the crap somehow and get the oils-out?

And yes, they do use fresh java beans!

Bobby Dylan "ROCKS"!!!!!!

Anifa bought a bad cup of coffee once.. so everyone who likes the place is "sort of like The Emporer's New Clothes." wtf-ever.

I say go there; have a cup of coffee; buy a great Dylan CD; hear pseudonym {if that's his real name) and his band play or don't. It don't make you a genius or a coffee aficionado either way.

Lady, please.

Personally, I don't care all that much for Starbucks coffee. None of the five or six stores within a mile and half of here anyway...

I brew up much better coffee at home and we have a couple of coffee shops that serve up good coffee in the area. The Starbucks stuff is too rank and nasty tasting for me.

As to the cd sales, it does get some sales for the artist they would likely not get. The fact that Starbucks was sharp enough to get an exclusive it just a bonus for them.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Bon Mot:

Anifa bought a bad cup of coffee once.. so everyone who likes the place is "sort of like The Emporer's New Clothes." wtf-ever.

I say go there; have a cup of coffee; buy a great Dylan CD; hear pseudonym {if that's his real name) and his band play or don't. It don't make you a genius or a coffee aficionado either way.

Lady, please.

:thu:

I drink a lot of coffee and I tend to do a lot of travel. I drink 7-11 coffee, coffee at a good local coffee house (if one is even available), or Starbucks. Doesn't matter to me. At least Starbucks has now made fast coffee more mainstream for some of us who don't have time for a sitdown breakfast anyplace (not that I'd eat at Denny's even if I had the time since I don't eat food like that). Nothing is handier than being able to catch my coffee using my giftcard at Starbucks inbetween flights or at the various facilities I work at.

Bonus to be able to pick up a CD that I might like while I'm there.

It is a business like any other business that wants to make money. I don't see how anyone can fault a business trying to be successful.

~Mir

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted."

Bon Mot,

There are a LOT of other people prior to me that have made remarks about Starbucks; Lee inclusive.

No need to single me out, other than to TROLL!!! I'm not going to wreck this thread, but instead I'll start a new one of my own.

I brew up much better coffee at home and we have a couple of coffee shops that serve up good coffee in the area. The Starbucks stuff is too rank and nasty tasting for me.

Thats fine 4-dak, since I just know the assistant manager at the Starbucks we gig at, and all I hear is how great their coffee is and I don't know much about this, but I have an inquisitive nature about everything.

So, can you say, without going into much detail, why you can make a much better "brew" of coffee? I'm not trying to be defensive, I just wonder why, that coffee can be so subtle and yet so vast in difference? :wave:

Does a vaguely sulfurous roast of coffee really bring out this kind of bitterness? jeez.

Take a look at that "1st record" thread and you will see that many of us bought our first records from rackjobber serviced drug store chains. The independent record store chains are in much more peril from the big boxes than they are from a placement at Starbucks.

Here's a story from the Seattle PI about the expansion of the Hear Music store/bars.

And in a pretty big city like Chicago it was impossible to get a decent expresso anywhere until Starbucks was everywhere. make mine a doppio. I even order the damn things by name. The best standup about Starbucks is by Lewis Black who describes walking out of a Starbucks in Houston to find another Starbucks across the street .

Dylan selling out? Isn't that what they said 30 years ago when he "went electric?" Now he's "gone caffiene?" A double sell- out! Wow. how many musicians can claim a career that was valuable enough in the first place to sell out twice? The electric caffiene blues... It's enough to boggle the mind.

On the other hand, Dunkin' Donuts can whip up a pretty good cup of cappacino. But don't buy the CD's there. The double chocolate glazed album really fucked up the CD player in my car once I got the fat mess shoved in there...

Yes, there's bass in the caR-R-R-R-R

Originally posted by Anifa:

Bon Mot,

There are a LOT of other people prior to me that have made remarks about Starbucks; Lee inclusive.

No need to single me out, other than to TROLL!!! I'm not going to wreck this thread, but instead I'll start a new one of my own.

Who's the "TROLL ! ! !?"

Lee's post was a comedy routine, d'oh.

Everyone else manages to say- I like/don't like this because the coffee is bad/good... it hurts/ doesn't hurt/who cares if it hurts other music retailers. You are the only one who feels the need to call any Starbucks patrons "uppity" with "stupid money" et cetera, et cetera.

Why did you write those things? No need to respond. I know why you did. Please, by all means, do start your own thread. Thank you.

Spokenward, Good post. :thu:

Is there bass in the caR-R-R-R-R? :D:thu:

Archived