Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone use Propranolol (Inderal®) for stage fright?

Or know someone who did?

It's a beta-blocker that is sometimes used to treat folks with speech and performance anxiety. Basically, it attenuates your stress reaction and keeps your heart rate and blood pressure from skyrocketing, but not in a somewhat mood-altering way that some folks on benzodiazepines (xanax, etc) describe.

One of the things I keep saying is that anyone getting trained in a mental health field should have experience with various drugs that are described, to get a better understanding of their effects. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I don't have direct access to SSRIs, benzos, ritalin, etc. to get a sense of what they're like.

I read a case study here and there about the effects, and of course drug manuals and research studies, but feel I would get a much better sense of the effects from hearing it more-or-less first hand. Anyone mind sharing?

Thanks!

Scott

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used codeine or beer for that purpose, but not that. (shrug). Interested to read the responses.

Stage fright, a little, tiny bit, isn't bad, but, if my nerves get too jangled I start screwing up. And I can never predict how I'm going to react. Usually, my main worries about a gig are whether everything will function properly, but, since I've been playing solo, I find myself getting a bit more nerved up than before...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Never ever mess with beta-blockers unless you have a medical condition that will require you to take it. It's not one of those medications that you can just pop in every now and then. Taking this medication and stopping it may result to chest pains and possibly a heart attack. There are better alternatives to combating stage fright. Cardiac medications is not one of them.

Originally posted by Hanshananigan:

it attenuates your stress reaction and keeps your heart rate and blood pressure from skyrocketing

That would ruin the idea of playing live,for me anyway.If you don't know how to transform that edge you might as well stay home.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Originally posted by Prague:

I always used Rehearsal® for stage fright. With a lot of Rehearsal® symptoms disappear.

Nothin' better available.

That, along with more time on stage, seems to work the best.

With that out of the way, I will usually have a couple of brews or some other alcoholic beverage before most gigs though occasionally I'll go on without. Like the Tedster, I'm primarily solo so all the stuff is on me.

A little edge is always good.

I always find it more difficult to play in front of fellow musicians than the general population.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Hanshananigan:

Or know someone who did?

I have never used this, but know a number - a surprisingly large number - of well-respected musicians who do, including Grammy-winners among them.

The problem as I understand it, is that the musicians who use it become dependant, so that stopping it would cause a peak in anxiety rather than returning them to whatever used to be normal for them.

Since, as I have heard from musicians who take this stuff, the effects minimize the nervous shaking and sweating of hands, I think there tends to be temptation and abuse (for those who view it as a problem) in fields that require subtle dexterity.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

Archived