Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live 8 Coverage

1. I haven't seen MTV in I don't know how many years, that Mr. Norris looks just the same, how old is he?

2. Live Aid changed my thinking on Madonna, and Live 8 reinforced my opinion that she is an incredible performer; just wish she were a little more lady-like. (flame suit - check)

3. I need to look into Linkin Park a little more. Hopefully they've done recordings without that Jaycee character.

4. I still, still, still don't get rap.

5. Unfortunate that the audio feed kept cutting out during most of the rap acts... :P

6. Pink Floyd was a big disappointment for me, and I've been a long time fan...

7. The DJ inserts were extremely ill-timed... particularly cutting into Stevie Wonder's bit.

8. The DVD of the Live Aid concert came out last Christmas, so we can look forward to the Live 8 release in the year.... damn.... glad I saw it this afternoon, I'll be dead when this DVD comes out.

9. I watched the last 7 hours of the 8-hour broadcast. I haven't watched that much TV in five years. I hate commercials.

10. Alicia Keys still chokes in front of a large audience, doesn't she? :(

11. I hope Maria Carey starts a new "minimal makeup" trend; damn she looked good.

12. The Killers suck

13. So did that Scott Weiland/Guns-n-Posers conglomeration.

14. Madonna sold out, did you notice the "Golden Arches" necklace she was wearing?

15. I may start a thread on just how much good this whole well-intentioned effort will actually do, although it'll probably descend into Political Forum crap way too soon. My feelings may be shared by the Japanese, whose venue was less than half-full for this show.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

er, I do wonder just how difficult it would have been to have a real piano for Pink Floyd...don't we have like great technology and stuff today?

something as big as a Pink Floyd reunion and no one gives enough of a shit about how the actual music sounds to make sure we're hearing a piano

I'm not saying you have to have an orchestra on stage for Comfortably Numb but a digital piano?...C'MON. As soon as I heard that lame digital piano sound, everything that was cool about Floyd reuniting was gone, am I the only person (musician) who's bothered by such things?

fwiw, yeah, I'll use a synth as a substitute sometimes but I'm poor, you'd think Richard Wright could afford to have a real piano set up...I still haven't seen their whole performance so I didn't get a chance to see if he had a Hammond

What can i say? The MTV broadcast SUCKED BIG TIME!!! Too many commercials, not enough complete sets. I wish I had BBC so I could have watched the London setlist all day. C'mon, i'd rather see Dido than freakin' Good Charlotte! How I wish one of the big networks covered the event. How I wish it was in HiDef so you'll feel you're in it. Just too many commercials and ads. But then again, what the hell do you expect from MTV. The internet broadcast is a waste of time IMO. Why would you want to see a big event in such a small window? And what the hell was Bill Gates doing there?

Anyway, I hope this event will eventually come up on DVD. I have the Live Aid DVD and I very much enjoy watching it again and again. Complete sets of different artists, just the whole show, no ads.

IMO, there wasn't any band or performer that stole the show like Queen did on Live Aid. Although I enjoyed the Coldplay and Richard Ashcroft team-up.

what i caught on the internet:

green day - thumbs up (can't believe they pulled off a queen cover!) they shoulda been in london.

velvet revolver - thumbs down (band rocked & scott sucked) scott's stage banter was almost as moronic as mariah carey's. now there's a hollywood couple for ya....

U2 - thumbs up guys.

U2 with Paul - so-so. very stilted. especially when compared to eah band's own sets.

sting - um, dude you played all police songs. you've been solo for 20 years. didn't you read the papers about pink floyd? asshole!

stevie wonder - come on dude WHY do YOU need rob thomas? and not need for that ballad either.

jet - man didn't anyone tell them they were on the internet in front of a gazillion people? i love 'em, but they phoned that one in.

REM - purple mr. spock. whoopie. speaking of whoopie, what was with the john dean-like howls during man on the moon?

Robbie Williams - the guy is a star for a reason. work that crowd.

The Cure - Ole mopey Bob at least didn't didn't look as stupid as Michael Stipe,but it was close. bob, yer almost 50, yer straight, what's with the lipstick still? they sounded like the cure though.

mariah carey - if she would have kept her mouth shut in between songs she'd have scored big. the kid choir thing was genius pr move. but acting like a diva looking for a mic stand?....well, no wonder ex derek jeter thinks yer a psycho hosebeast!

lincoln park - whatever. w/ jay-z, double wwhatever.

the who - what was up pete's ass? he was not a happy dude when he came out. perhaps the "spice girls" intro comment got him. anyways, same old, lame old predictable dog n pony show. didn't mention a thing about the cause. zzzzzz.

pink floyd - got better as it went on. but, since gilmore sings all the hits (cept for roger's talk/croaking), ya don't really miss roger now do ya? also was a bit strange that waters was the one hamming it up smiling and all when HE was the one that always refused to reunite.

mccartney - helter skelter! who'da thunk? rock on old man. hope "the two" um, i mean "the who" paid attention.

RunDMC - what i saw was a disaster. run has no voice anymore. then the aerosmith/buckcherry walk this way was a shambles with the singer's mic not working.... joey kramer didn't look happy.

bjork - she was just fine.

anybody see neil young or (gulp!) deep purple?

-d. gauss

Originally posted by FrankieP:

The MTV broadcast SUCKED BIG TIME!!! Too many commercials, not enough complete sets. The internet broadcast is a waste of time IMO. Why would you want to see a big event in such a small window? And what the hell was Bill Gates doing there?

the internet was the best way to see complete sets in all the locations even. and if you hit the maximize button, you got full screen. no commercials.

and bill gates was there believe it or not 'cause he paid for one whole location event!

go on aol.com in a bit and you can play any song you want from any location. not too bad for free.

-d. gauss

Here on Canada they are only playing 1 song by each performer on CTV. There seems to be some kind of technical problems. I saw a few different performers remove the earplugs?? from their ears. Sometimes the performers will point their microphone at the audience, expecting the audience to "fill in the blank" but the audience won't (or can't hear) to participate?

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

Originally posted by d gauss:

The MTV broadcast SUCKED BIG TIME!!! Too many commercials, not enough complete sets. The internet broadcast is a waste of time IMO. Why would you want to see a big event in such a small window? And what the hell was Bill Gates doing there?

the internet was the best way to see complete sets in all the locations even. and if you hit the maximize button, you got full screen. no commercials.

and bill gates was there believe it or not 'cause he paid for one whole location event!

go on aol.com in a bit and you can play any song you want from any location. not too bad for free.

-d. gauss

....and I hear overall damn good mixing, and nice soundstaging, not to mention the cinematic camera work that is more and more evident nowadays. Hell, I even had fun listening to them test-mic the drums, tune the toms, etc in between sets. Kudos to AOL...(and my monitor setup) :D Out.

Lee

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

Originally posted by d gauss:

-d. gauss

Thanks for the heads up on Bill Gates, d. gauss.

For all the bitching and moaning about Gates' business practices, deficiencies in Windows OS, etc., Bill Gates is about as philanthropic as anyone ever has been. From the website, but you can confirm this many other places:

Philanthropy is also important to Gates. He and his wife, Melinda, have endowed a foundation with more than $27 billion (as of March 2004) to support philanthropic initiatives in the areas of global health and learning, with the hope that in the 21st century, advances in these critical areas will be available for all people. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has committed more than $3.2 billion to organizations working in global health; more than $2 billion to improve learning opportunities, including the Gates Library Initiative to bring computers, Internet Access and training to public libraries in low-income communities in the United States and Canada; more than $477 million to community projects in the Pacific Northwest; and more than $488 million to special projects and annual giving campaigns.
This doesn't make him a saint, but the man is definitely concerned with using his considerable wealth for the benefit of both his local community and the world at large.

Consider that most of the beloved philanthropists today will never make 27 billion dollars, let alone set it aside to pay for, and through interest earn more for the future of philanthropic opportunites.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

The Who was great, but for me the best was Bob Geldof, bringing that girl on stage who was in that 20 year old film, a dying little child with no life left in her little eyes.

And twenty years later a nice young woman enters the stage, a young woman with a bright future ahead, thanks to a bunch of musicians from 20 years ago.

That made me cry.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Originally posted by techristian:

Here on Canada they are only playing 1 song by each performer on CTV. There seems to be some kind of technical problems. I saw a few different performers remove the earplugs?? from their ears. Sometimes the performers will point their microphone at the audience, expecting the audience to "fill in the blank" but the audience won't (or can't hear) to participate?

Dan

I saw bits of the Canadian show and noticed some of the singers were having trouble with pitch. I thought they may have been having trouble hearing the monitors.

During Jann Arden's set I began hear a very high pitch squeal -like an old TV - and she seemed to be looking for some help from the side of the stage. She had trouble in the last song and I felt bad for her as she left the stage while the band was still finishing the song.

The squeal continued for the remainder of the show and It seemed to me to be interfering with the singers resulting in a situation worse than just not hearing themselves. It sounded like feedback but I'm wondering if maybe it was a Radio Frequencey problem with all of those wireless mikes and in ear monitors.

I would like to find out more about what happened in this situation and how all this radio equipment is managed in giant mege shows such as these.

Does anyone here on the forum have any info on the subject or what happened at the concert or know anybody who does?

I'll post what I find out.

Well the Aussie coverage was an abomination - one song for about 20 artists with huge globs of ad breaks.

Appalling.

And Bob Geldof murdered "I don't like Mondays" as always. ;)

Watched a lot from norwegian national broadcasting (public television) with no commercial. Gotta love that! Got most of what I wanted to see, but came in the middle of Alicia Keys and Stevie wonder sets. Wish I had seen all of it

Floyd: Awesome

Think before you think before you speak

Watched a lot from norwegian national broadcasting (public television) with no commercial. Gotta love that! Got most of what I wanted to see, but came in the middle of Alicia Keys and Stevie wonder sets. Wish I had seen all of it

Floyd: Awesome

Think before you think before you speak

I went to the Philly show. The crowd was insane and thus, watching some of the recap, caused me to miss some stuff. It was hard to concentrate because of people stepping on/over you, and nearly knocking you over trying to get somewhere. I forgot to pop in a disc to record the festivities off of MTV, but thankfully I didn't after reading some of the responses. I also got home too late to catch the ABC special.

So far from what I've seen, including the Philly show of course, the performances were at least adequate. I can't really think of any one who was just bad...but I haven't seen it all, yet. ;)

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

I was watching what I could from a bowling alley and listening on the radio at the end on the drive home. That really over-ran! Suppose they can't really fine them tho.

Caught some of Floyd, The Who and McCartney's closing set, all fantastic (despite George Micheal, can he do ANYTHING but stick his nose in with far superior performers at big charity gigs?!?!)

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Originally posted by sign:

The Who was great, but for me the best was Bob Geldof, bringing that girl on stage who was in that 20 year old film, a dying little child with no life left in her little eyes.

And twenty years later a nice young woman enters the stage, a young woman with a bright future ahead, thanks to a bunch of musicians from 20 years ago.

That made me cry.

God, I didn't see it, just read it here, and I'm all misty and snoofly...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I know Madonna is looking a bit ropey these days, but mistaking her for Bob Geldof is a bit harsh :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/entertainment_live_8/img/1.jpg

Seriously tho, it was quite touching...

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/ethiopia/gfx/titlephoto.jpghttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/thelive8event/pics/onstage/g/27.jpg

The girl's name is Birhan Weldu, she's 24 and 20 years back her father thought she had died and was about to bury her. Whe he put her in the grave he felt a very weak heartbeat and brought her to an aid post.

What a wonderful young woman and what a wonderful world!

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

The Canadian broadcast was not good either. They had an ex-Prime Minister's son as a host. He has a sort of a Elvis meets Entertainment Tonight vibe, and not much musical knowledge. He said that Audioslave's breakthrough hit was "Black Hole Sun". Good research there.

Dan Akroyd and Tom Greene were the MC's at the live event. They decided to use this event as a politcal platform to share there millionaire actor opinions on Canadian politics and talk about Quebec separation. It undermined the purpose of the event... and instead of rallying the people, it just pissed of the 30% that live in Quebec.

Oh yeah, and they interviewed all the artists... except the french artists. Classy.

p.s. the Canadian show line up was pretty weak, with some notable exceptions (Neil Young, etc).

There is no substitute.

My brother in law, how just turned 40, turns to me and says "all these artists are from my youth. What about today's artists?"

Over generalization, but there is some serious truth in that statement.

There is no substitute.

Originally posted by Joe Cole:

My brother in law, how just turned 40, turns to me and says "all these artists are from my youth. What about today's artists?"

Over generalization, but there is some serious truth in that statement.

"turned 40" - that's the generation who has the money to buy the product!
-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

um, what product? it was to raise public awareness.

most older folks tend to be more conservative, while the youth still believe's anything is possible and will get behind a cause faster.

of course it did a good job to raise awareness of how old the who are! :)

-d. gauss

But does raising awareness make a difference anymore?

Will governments change there course of action because of the waves that this will cause? How long will these waves be felt... a week, a month?

My regrettable prediction....the G8 lay low for a few weeks, and just hold their course... this will just be a memory of another concert in the park.

There is no substitute.

Archived