Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live 8 Coverage

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone going to any of the concerts?? I wanted to go up to the London one, even tho they are saying you won't hear anything outside (yeah right, what are they playing through, an 8-watt stereo?!?!), but can't make it up there now. My drummer's bro won tickets (damn him :mad::D )...

Be cool if anyone could post back any pics they manage to get...

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

They are expecting one million to show up in Philadelphia, in an area that will hold only 400,000. Radio DJ's are joking about taking valium to remain calm with traffic and claustrophobia; op-ed cartoon showed a sign that says "Live 8 Parking Here", with "here" being in Harrisburg, two hours away, because of the expected number of vehicles.
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Originally posted by Gator Wing:

What happened?

in an ego battle between U2 and Paul, paul threatened to pull out of the event unless he both opened AND closed the show.

so here's how it's supposed to go down: sir paul is gonna front the band U2 for the opening. they're gonna play "sgt. peppers" and all of them (even bono)are gonna be dressed up in the silly sgt. pepper costumes. (hope they let lennon's out some so it will fit bono.)

then paul will close the show with "long and winding road."

we'll see.... :)

-d. gauss

>>>sir paul is gonna front the band U2 for the opening. they're gonna play "sgt. peppers"<<<

The Edge playing guitar on Sgt Pepper? Wonder how it'll sound with all that echo! ;)

None more black.

btw, here's the London setlist:

Here's the running order which has been given so far for ILR stations apparently sourced from Media UK.

1. McCartney/U2 "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band"

2. U2 "One"

3. Coldplay "In My Place/Fix You"

4. Coldplay/Richard Ashcroft "Bitter Sweet Symphony"

Matt Lucas & David Walliams intro to Elton John

5 Elton John "Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting/The Bitch Is Back"

6 Elton/Pete Doherty "Children Of The Revolution"

7 Dido "Life For Rent/White Flag/Thank You"

8 Stereophonics - tracks TBC

9 REM "The One I Love/Losing My Religion/Imitation Of Life/Everybody Hurts"

10 Ms Dynamite "Dy-Na-Mi-Tee/Judgement Day/Redemption Song"

11 Keane "Everybody's Changing/Somewhere Only We Know"

12 Travis "Sing/Turn/Why Does It Always Rain On Me?"

12 Annie Lennox "Walking On Broken Glass/Sisters Are Doin' It/Sweet Dreams"

13 UB40 - Medley

14 Snoop Dogg - tracks TBC

15 Razorlight "Somewhere Else/Golden Touch/Vice"

16 Madonna "Like A Prayer/Music/Ray Of Light"

17 Snow Patrol "Chocolate/Run"

18 Joss Stone "I Had A Dream'Supa Dupa Love"

19 Scissor Sisters "Laura/Take Your Mama"

20 Velvet Revolver - TBC

21 The Killers - TBC

22 Sting "Message In A Bottle/Desert Rose"

23 Mariah Carey "Vision Of Love/Make It Happen"

24 Robbie Williams "Let Me Entertain You/Rock DJ/Feel"

25 Who "Won't Get Fooled Again/Baba O'Reilly"

26 Pink Floyd "Money/Comfortably Numb/ Wish You Were Here"

27 Paul McCartney "The Long & Winding Road"

28 FINALE - McCartney and an all star line-up from approx 8.45 including Mick Jagger & George Michael - tracks TBC

-d. gauss

I'm not sure if I'm going yet. IF I do go, I'm going early and leaving early. Maybe by mid afternoon, then watch the rest here. In and out. However, I'm totally not a crowd person, and that may well make my mind up.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Originally posted by d gauss:

btw, here's the London setlist:

Here's the running order which has been given so far for ILR stations apparently sourced from Media UK.

1. McCartney/U2 "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band"

2. U2 "One"

3. Coldplay "In My Place/Fix You"

4. Coldplay/Richard Ashcroft "Bitter Sweet Symphony"

Matt Lucas & David Walliams intro to Elton John

5 Elton John "Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting/The Bitch Is Back"

6 Elton/Pete Doherty "Children Of The Revolution"

7 Dido "Life For Rent/White Flag/Thank You"

8 Stereophonics - tracks TBC

9 REM "The One I Love/Losing My Religion/Imitation Of Life/Everybody Hurts"

10 Ms Dynamite "Dy-Na-Mi-Tee/Judgement Day/Redemption Song"

11 Keane "Everybody's Changing/Somewhere Only We Know"

12 Travis "Sing/Turn/Why Does It Always Rain On Me?"

12 Annie Lennox "Walking On Broken Glass/Sisters Are Doin' It/Sweet Dreams"

13 UB40 - Medley

14 Snoop Dogg - tracks TBC

15 Razorlight "Somewhere Else/Golden Touch/Vice"

16 Madonna "Like A Prayer/Music/Ray Of Light"

17 Snow Patrol "Chocolate/Run"

18 Joss Stone "I Had A Dream'Supa Dupa Love"

19 Scissor Sisters "Laura/Take Your Mama"

20 Velvet Revolver - TBC

21 The Killers - TBC

22 Sting "Message In A Bottle/Desert Rose"

23 Mariah Carey "Vision Of Love/Make It Happen"

24 Robbie Williams "Let Me Entertain You/Rock DJ/Feel"

25 Who "Won't Get Fooled Again/Baba O'Reilly"

26 Pink Floyd "Money/Comfortably Numb/ Wish You Were Here"

27 Paul McCartney "The Long & Winding Road"

28 FINALE - McCartney and an all star line-up from approx 8.45 including Mick Jagger & George Michael - tracks TBC

-d. gauss

Wow! What a set list! Time to clean out the hard drive and set my Media Center to record.

Well I wish I could watch it but alas, we are stuck doing the house today.

Anyone going to any of the concerts especially my friend Kitty in Canada who will be opening and closing the Canadian concert today, have fun!

I know your going to have a ball girl and enjoy every minute and make sure you bash out 'Something About You' big time for all the UKers as we are thinking about you and the family :)

in an A.D.D. MTV world, i can't wait for the commercials in the middle of pink floyd's reunion set. it's gonna happen. :)
Doubt it, it's on the BBC (no adverts). :D
My latest piece: for orchestra (recorded at Blackheath Halls, London, March 2006, 2mins long)

Originally posted by mjm:

in an A.D.D. MTV world, i can't wait for the commercials in the middle of pink floyd's reunion set. it's gonna happen. :)
Doubt it, it's on the BBC (no adverts). :D
Well you are lucky!! I was just getting excited about watchin Bob Geldoff w/Travis and all they put on is a 10 second teaser and then straight to commercial!! That hurt!

And the V-jays...(do they still call them that?) say so much about nothing!! We can see the crowds...don't need to be told about them for 20 minutes, just play the music!! I understand about getting the point out about the cause, but still...am I showing my age? Where is the MTV from 20 years ago??

Ok, enough...it's a great cause...I'm crossing my fingers that the coverage of Pink Floyd is decent...

peace...

peter

Yeah, unfortunately the sounds is pretty good on the webcast, but that tiny box is the best we can get. Oh well...

Had to choose between Mariah Carey and Sarah McLachlan live.. hmm....

TV coverage totally blows. Saw a lil of the Shakira thing on there for about 30 secs. Then it was back to DJ drudgery.

Originally posted by EDinWestLA:

Yeah, unfortunately the sounds is pretty good on the webcast, but that tiny box is the best we can get. Oh well...

Had to choose between Mariah Carey and Sarah McLachlan live.. hmm....

TV coverage totally blows. Saw a lil of the Shakira thing on there for about 30 secs. Then it was back to DJ drudgery.

I guess this is a good reason to have my PC laptop....can't get the aol show to work on my Mac!! The sound is decent...though the pic is tiny...much better than the mtv coverage!!! And just in time for the Who!!! ...Daltry can still belt it out and Townsend is rockin...but I'm missin John Entwistle...

The B.B.C. did a mighty job. The flamboyant and irreverent Jonathan Ross was the ideal man to string the whole thing together. Sirs Bob and Paul did a mighty job. Messrs Floyd & Messrs Who did the best job of all. And there was no sign of Louis Walshe (Louis Who?). A great day.

I just finished watching Live 8 London and what can I say...Pink Floyd were awesome! They normally are not my cup of tea but those guys can sure RAWK!

The Who were fantastic aswell but hightlight of the whole day was Coldplay with Richard Ashcroft from the Verve and Travis who are fantstic.

I really enjoyed it and wanted to see Stevie Wonder in Philly but its late here now and he wont be shown till later in the night.

Snoop Dog was brilliant aswell and Robbie Williams, well hes just sexy adn worked the crowd and even I was singing 'Feel'

Overall, 'God' Geldof did a blinding job and he deserves a medal for putting it together so quickly and and with such an effect has it has had all over the world, now we just need to make sure Poverty will final be put in the abyss!

Onwards and Upwards I hope...

Archived