Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there a way to degauss a monitor screen?

Maybe I'm missing the obvious...but...I went out for a couple hours, during which time there was a hellacious thunderstorm. The computer is supposed to be on a surge protector, but, I've come back and the monitor screen is all FUBARed...like when you put a speaker with a big magnet right next to it, only the whole screen. Lindsay says while we were gone there were a few hellacious lightning hits extremely close by. My guess is that there's a relationship there. Any way to get rid of this, or is the monitor toast?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes...possibly toast.

You could try re-loading the Vid dreivers and are you sure it's not the card?

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

If you didn't have auto degauss, a bulk tape eraser will accomplish the same thing. I used one to degauss some monitors that got magnetized during a lightning strike at a NY radio station I work for. Just stand 5' away, power up the eraser, walk to the monitor and move it an inch from the tube in a circular motion. Then walk away slowly and when 5' away, turn off the degausser. You're done.

Best Regards,

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.

www.ampexperts.com

-

Originally posted by Tedster:

Oops...never mind. I turned it off and back on, that fixed it.

Yes, exactly. There is a degaussing coil built into every monitor, which operates for a second or two each time it's turned on.

BTW, that means its a bad idea to lay a reel of tape up against a monitor. Unless you want it erased.

When I was in TV the Techs had a unit for aligning a monitor that was placed on the front of the screen and read the colour balance etc. All our monitors were alligned that way so they all looked the same.

Does anyone know of such a unit for aligining computer monitors??

cheers

john

Originally posted by John Sayers:

When I was in TV the Techs had a unit for aligning a monitor that was placed on the front of the screen and read the colour balance etc. All our monitors were alligned that way so they all looked the same.

Does anyone know of such a unit for aligining computer monitors??

cheers

john

Perhaps you mean a Colorimeter or Spot Photometer? Either would do the job, but they're a bit pricey...

Archived