Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is anybody using the new Frontier Designs remote?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is amazing. Very intuitive. Sets up in no time works well with DP. Frees me from using the mouse and keyboard except for lableing tracks. It really is fun to use and they are going to sell thousands of Tranzports.

KB Gunn

....government is a necessary evil, but it is dangerous nonetheless ... somewhat like a drug. Just as a drug that in the proper dosage can save your life, an overdose of government can be fatal.

-Neal Boortz

I got one of the first 6 released (to reviewers) a couple of months ago, and did a review for EQ... I THOUGHT it was supposed to run in this month's issue, but apparently it got bumped to next month for some reason. :(

Short answer? They are NOT getting it back from me! :D Longer answer? You'll just have to wait until next month and read the review. ;)

Originally posted by Alndln:

Here's a $39.00 alternative that someone brought up in the Sonar Forums that seems to work well www.keyspan.com./

IMO, not nearly as cool. First of all, that remote is IR, which means "line of sight". Secondly, it isn't specifically designed for DAW software compatability - it's designed for things like iTunes and WMP. Another thing it is missing is bi-directional communication: There is no display for track names, levels, etc. etc. Finally, although their site says you can program it to work with other applications, you've going to have a lot more work to do than the "plug and go" Tranzport.

If it was roughly equal to a Tranzport, and sold for under $50, I'd be all over it... but IMO, it's not even close to a Tranzport insofar as range, versatility and functionality for the intended purpose of a remote DAW transport control unit. It may work for some people's needs, but you're still stuck in the same room as the receiver.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

it isn't specifically designed for DAW software compatability -

Actually,all the keys can be programmed to match the DAW's key commends and that was confirmed to work by a Sonar user in the forum.No,it isn't nearly as cool as tranzport and lacks many of the features you ponted out,but if all you need is simple keybord control(punch in/out/FF/RW etc.)in the same room as your DAW it is a decent budget alternative,in fact someone saw it at Tiger Direct for $20.00 www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1274213&Sku=K900-1002 .It's basically a remote keybord control for those who only need that aspect.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

It's basically a remote keybord control for those who only need that aspect.

Alndln, it looks like a cool little IR remote, and normally I would have been pretty interested, although my wireless IR mouse and keyboard are probably just as effective and a bit more versatile... ;) but after using the Tranzport for a couple of months, it's hard to get as excited by something similar but with several significant limitations and missing features. Sorry if I came across as coming down on it or anything - I'm sure for those on a REALLY tight budget, and who are willing to do everything in one room and who don't need the visual feedback, that would be a viable solution.

But seriously, it's hard for me not to rave about the Tranzport... from first thought upon the first sight and use of it, it was one of those "I've gotta get this" GAS moments... followed quickly by thoughts of "why the heck hasn't someone done something like this before?"

As the owner of a multi-room studio, I've often been stuck in the CR whenever I wanted to track something. Yeah, I know - get a second... but good seconds are hard to find ;) and they're not always available when you need them - like, at 4:37 AM. I can now go out on the other side of the glass and track in the studio, or in one of the isos, or even in my office.

When doing delicate fingerpicked acoustic guitar tracks with a ribbon mic in the control room, I used to have to live with a bit of computer fan noise... yeah, I know, "quiet" the computer (I already did that... less noise but there's still a bit) or build a machine room... ;) Or use the Tranzport and get the heck away from the source of the noise! :idea:

I've been doing the "listen to the mix from down the hall" trick since I learned about it from George Massenburg years ago... and with the Tranzport, I can listen from the office, in the studios on cans (great for checking mic placement and cue mixes), or even from the patio outside and still have not only full transport control, but visual feedback of where I am in the song and other useful information. If I hear a bum note, I can write down the location, or even better - just drop a marker...

In short (and yes, you should still check out the review ;) ), there hasn't been a box in a long time that I just KNEW at first sight was a "gotta have", then lived up to and exceeded the advance expectations in extensive tests, actually changed the way I work (for the better) in several significant ways, AND made me feel that I could recommend it to just about everyone who owns a DAW without hesitation or reservation. For two bones ("street price"), I'd say that's a heck of a great deal!

Thanks guys!

I feel a GAS attack is coming...

BTW, does it work with WaveLab - Audition - Sound Forge right out of the box?

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I was probably one of the first Frontier WaveCenter customers back in '96 and I can't say enough good about Barry and Frontier! (That said, I haven't been using any of their products for a few years but I wouldn't have the slightest hesitation buying one based on previous experience.)

In my experience, Frontier are definitely some of the good guys!

Originally posted by d gauss:

what's the reliable, usable range? some of my live stuff is 4 stories below my control room.

-d. gauss

They say "ten meters (33') 'typical' range". My studio is concrete and rebar reinforced cinderblock construction... including the major partition walls inside the building that seperate the control room from the office and main studio areas, and that is a pretty harsh environment for the 2.4 GHz band... but I can go literally anywhere within the studio and have it work... and the building is 25' X 50'. Elevating the receiver and keeping it away from and out in front of any metal rack or computer enclosures definitely helps with the maximum range performance.

Originally posted by EoS:

But can it core a apple?

Only with system 10.3 or higher.

:wave:

KB Gunn

....government is a necessary evil, but it is dangerous nonetheless ... somewhat like a drug. Just as a drug that in the proper dosage can save your life, an overdose of government can be fatal.

-Neal Boortz

Archived