Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just found out FOW can actually play OK live

I saw Fountains of Wayne performing "Maureen" on Conan O'Brien - I remembered that in the discussion here of this new Maureen song there were comments about their weak live performances, them being more of a recording band, etc. so my expectations were low.

But hey, they were pretty good even with some glaring issues like the way off bridge background vox and the flubbish lead guitar part immediately following the bridge. Other than that I thought the song came across strong.

First time I've seen them play. The lead singer isn't dramatic/charismatic/young looking, and doesn't appear that comfortable in his own skin, so that probably alarms the marketing guys at their label, but it didn't bother me - just made them seem more like a real band.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I hear ya Bejeeber - I saw FOW live, a year or so ago, and I thought they were just fine. Not the most exciting performers I've ever seen, and the lead guitarist had some technical issues with his stomp boxes and such... but overall a really enjoyable show. I don't expect every performer to be oozing charisma or anything, and apparently the rest of the big enthusiastic crowd was having a great time too.

I saw FOW on HBO's Reverb years ago and they freakin' Rocked. Infact, it was the first time I heard or even heard of the band and I became a fan instantly. I've got all their albums, unless they've just released a new one, have they? My favorite is still their first one.

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Live they were great when I saw them. I did see a weak performance on Austin City Limits. I've heard that the lead singer (Chris) has a wicked case of stage fright. Can't image that TV makes it easier.

But the Conan performance was good.

Anyways, new album out today (Tues). It's a 2 CD collection of non-album cuts with 2 new songs (one is Maureen).

js

Well, I'm definitely going to go right out and get the new record. I have the previous three... and for me, Welcome Interstate Managers is my favorite... I'd even go so far as to say it's probably on my top twenty favorite albums of all time list. :thu:

I'm looking forward to seeing them Thursday. :cool:

I've heard that the lead singer (Chris) has a wicked case of stage fright.

I don't know if that's true or not, but I can believe it. Every time I've seen them perform live on TV. Chris Collingwood has had that "deer in the headlights" look on his face.

Did anyone see them last night at Largo. Phil, you're going tonight (Thursday) I see. God... I would LOVE to see them, especialy in an intimate acoustic setting like Largo.

I should go, it's only 3 hours away or so but I'm an early morning work drone.

Please report on what goes down at the show.

Yes, I'm going to see them tape the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson this afternoon (which should be broadcast tonight). Unfortunately, I don't have tickets to see them at Largo. :( But I'll definitely report back... but you should be able to see it for yourself tonight, so I don't know how much (if anything) I'll be able to add beyond what you'd be able to see for yourself if you tune in tonight. :)

I've been listening to their new double CD for the last hour and they included two pretty diverse covers. ELO's "Can't Get It Out of my Head" (and the hook is stuck up in my head again, great tune) and Britney's "Hit me baby one more time"! Certainly changed the character of that tune!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived